+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Doom 3

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Doom 3

So, anyone here playing through it? Thoughts so far?

I'm pretty early in it and so far it's clear the crew over at iD have set the bar yet again for game atmosphere and technology. It draws you in very quickly and keeps you in their world by their rules. In this case the world is a Corporate R&D base on Mars...it's dark, uninviting, dark, uncomfortable, dark, and yeah...dark. A flashlight becomes your best friend since at times it's the onlyway to see much of anything once the gates of hell open up and demons start filtering through. Gameplay is nothing particularly special but this game is all about atmosphere and very much about delivering an experience. The graphics in this game are like nothing seen before...very "real" and highly detailed. Just a tiny hair short of Cinema Quality.

Though only on the PC at the moment and XBOX version is on the way. It's a totally worthwhile experience to take even if you're not into games at all...it's like being in a fun horror movie with insanely high production values. If you like dark fun with massive amounts of blood, scares, and gore...then Doom 3 is waiting for you.

I'll post some screens I've taken soon...

Default Re: Doom 3

Not yet, but I heard it is supposed to be a good game.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Heh... My computer SUCKS for computer games, crappy Intel graphics and no way to upgrade it... I too, hear this game is supossed to be the shiznit.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Indeed it is...it's actually really well optimized but you do need at least a system that can run most modern games. It's actually much less system demanding than the other big game shooter of the year Farcry...PC gamers have been seriously spoiled this year.

Luckily the XBOX version is shaping up VERY well...so at the very least one should play it on their if they can't on the PC. It's well worth it...it really sucks you in.

hows the music/ambeince, I heard Trent Reznor was put to work on this.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by TeK
    hows the music/ambeince, I heard Trent Reznor was put to work on this.
    Seems Trent is not a patient man...he dropped out of the project about a year before it shipped. Music is used rather sparingly in favor of sound effects from the enviornments themselves anyhow. It hightens the mood rather well. Didn't think they would pull it off given games use music more and more to set the mood these days.

I forgot which version it was, but it was awesome where you had to kill Duke Nuke'em.

Btw, didnt they make a movie for that guy?

+ Reply to Thread