+ Reply to Thread

Thread: deviantart find

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

Default deviantart find

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29784938

this photog is pretty good almost as good as amelia at making dirty look clean or make clean dirty

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: deviantart find

what?

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

ooh, a lil Rexio 38. Damn that brings back memories.

I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime and comment on how Jax looks, but you gotta agree the floor looks sexy.

Adam's 'left' DA like so many others, so once you've all poked about his gallery and been impressed I'd suggest trying his proper website.

mG

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

How appropriately self-important and greedy that he would post a dA suicide note of that nature. All artists sometimes take some time to focus on making sure they can make some dough or simply recharging artistically. Every time I put down the camera for a while, I don't post that I retired and then announce my triumphant return when I have more time or creative headspace to shoot.

I was going to publish a bunch of his work, but that guy ended up being a really depressing combination of dishonest, narcissistic, lazy, and delusional. Even though this went down some time ago, I'm still totally bummed out about it because I liked his work. He reneged on a deal he made, but his attitude and the way he did it were even worse than his simple failure to come through and failure to tell me he was not going to keep his word. I could, to a partial extent, force him to keep part of the bargain, but I set out to publish people I could celebrate, so it seems sort of pointless. So his work just takes up space on one of my hard drives. He thinks he should get paid for editing one or two images from a series he shoots and begging people to say nice things about them. Anything that does not involve constant praise is of no interest to him. He wasted an insane amount of my time getting me to give him essentially free editing. I only wish I had an experienced editor who wanted to spend days helping me go through my work for free. And one of my main motivations in starting Blue Blood was to give a venue to creative people who might otherwise not have a good outlet. Nothing worse than finding out the problem is that the creative people think they should somehow get rich for being creative, rather than get paid for actually creating. That was probably way more information than anyone here needed, but that dude was such a big disappointment to me and said such awful and absurd things that this is not even the half of how much he bummed me out.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

just what the point of this thread is still alludes me... but that guy sounds like a bum!

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Jax looks great in the pic, Love it!

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Default When is self-love a career choice and when it is just being an asshole?

Random hug for Amelia (-- --)

I never said I liked the guy (maybe my quotes on 'left' needed a more ironic color scheme), but by the same token I do like the aesthetics of his portfolio images. Like all pro-ams 99% of his contacts aren't worth paying for on a compositional or tech level, but you have to admit the good ones are a lot better than the hundreds of average emo-with-a-D50 snaps posted to DA.

Most of the people I work with who are 'talented' I'd not cross the road to say hello to. I don't think it's "artistic temperament", it's just that in creative arts people with screwed up personalities get to keep them. If you're an asshole in Home Depot you're fired. If you're an asshole with a camera or Protools you're "challenging to work with".

Adam takes narcissism to collegiate level and I totally get what you're saying about the way he lets that show, but then so do millions of others trying to whore their art. You rarely, if ever, get "discovered" these days if you're modest and retiring, and I do think some people run with it in preview - "if I act like I'm real important and better than everyone, then maybe I will be one day". Done right that can work and folks just call it enthusiasm or self-respect. Taken too far and folks call it self-importance. It's just scales of the same thing in the end - wanting to convince the other person in the room your work is wonderful by any means at your disposal, so you'll get a buck for it. I've done it, most of you have probably done it, and people don't seem to have any problems if their favorite movie star acts like the King of Siam so long as his movies are good.

Forgetting about Mr Chilson, and checking someone's feeling awake enough to answer - when is it appropriate to act self-important? Is it different if you're famous and already adored than if you're still whoring, and does an artist's modesty (or lack of it) affect what you think of their work?

mG

(who never mentions he can leap tall women in a single bound, invented the black metal pretzl and charges for smiling at babies)

+ Reply to Thread