+ Reply to Thread

Thread: any reptile enthusiasts?

ShaedeDesire's Avatar Junior Member

Default any reptile enthusiasts?

I was just wondering if anyone else on here does any significant work with reptiles. Please note that by this I don't mean you have a ball python, a turtle that you bought at the beach, or an anole. I'm not trying to belittle anyone out there in those situations. You have to start somewhere. I'm really just looking for people out there with a more eccentric interest.

I'm interested in seeing who on here is working with what. Just drop a reply and let everyone know what you have, color phases, projects you're working with, whatever you want to tell me about your reptiles.

Default Re: any reptile enthusiasts?

I love Most types of Reptiles, but I hate when they Bite.
    My favorite types are Chameleons, and Turtles, or Vice Versa.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

i have a couple iguanas , a bearded dragon , a rattle snake, and two box turtles

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

I've had two turtles in my life, since I am so in love with them. The most recent one was smaller than he should have been due to lack of warmth and nutrition when I got him. I bought a tank, lights, food, guppies, calcium powder (?) etc. and he eventually started perking up and swimming around. However after a few months of feeding him turtle pellets (softened in water), the calcium powder, and tubifex-- his shell was still curved up at the edges. Was there anything else I could've done? Unfortunately I had to give him up because I was too busy in school and it really is more work than I thought, but I'm still curious as to how I could have taken better care of him.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Well, my mom-in-law has a bearded dragon, an orange one named Tiger that she found in her front lawn. Some stupid rich people found out you had to feed the thing "bugs" and let it loose. T spent several weeks taking care of Tiger, mostly because a few months earlier I had to care for my brother's iguana, Dave, and I could handle the beast. I really want a snake, nothing really fancy to start. I'm half tempted to resucue a lil' corn snake i know named Eve from the terrible people who "own" her. The lady treats her like a frickin' hand bag and the man tortures her. *grr!* I will one day have a zoo with several snakes and lizards and sugar glidrs and a ferret...
    K

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    i have a couple iguanas , a bearded dragon , a rattle snake, and two box turtles
    Just curious what type of rattler you have. I work with a few pit vipers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gonesavage
    I've had two turtles in my life, since I am so in love with them. The most recent one was smaller than he should have been due to lack of warmth and nutrition when I got him. I bought a tank, lights, food, guppies, calcium powder (?) etc. and he eventually started perking up and swimming around. However after a few months of feeding him turtle pellets (softened in water), the calcium powder, and tubifex-- his shell was still curved up at the edges. Was there anything else I could've done? Unfortunately I had to give him up because I was too busy in school and it really is more work than I thought, but I'm still curious as to how I could have taken better care of him.
    Well, sounds like you went in the right direction and honestly, the problem is most likely not your doing. It most likely lies in your water. I recommend using a specially formulated water treatment for turtles. ZooMed makes a very good one that's rather inexpensive, and readily available. Other than that, it's just one of those things. The saddest part of working with reptiles is that there is still so little understood. Sometimes things just happen. Don't blame yourself though....my bet is the water.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaedeDesire
    Just curious what type of rattler you have. I work with a few pit vipers as well.
    to tell ya the truth i dont know the specific species because i found it in my backyard near my chicken coop it took me a while but i caught it using a stick and a nylon bag in which chicken feed comes in. Im guessing its whatever kind of rattle snake is native to the foothills in los angeles

well...to be honest with you...there are a handful of different species native there. If you could let me see a picture sometime...I could identify it for you. I know my reptiles. I may get in touch with you with a comparitive of the native species for your area.

il show ya some pics as soon as i stop spending my money on videogames and other electronic junk an i finaly buy that scanner ive been meaning to get for the past year lol

lol....well....meanwhile I'll put together a comparative for you. I'll do a positive ID on it when I see a pic.

+ Reply to Thread