+ Reply to Thread

Thread: American Hardcore

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default American Hardcore

anyone see this flick?

It's a documentary on the american "hardcore" punk rock bands during the early 80's. It made me both proud and dissapointed in reflection on my current musical tastes and freinds. which I guess is a good thing? I liked it better than the book, which just seemed to be more like a VH1 behind the music special on each band and less so about the way that the bands influenced each other and criss-crossed the nation creating a new sweeping music direction and lifestyle - as was portrayed more in the film.

although, throughout the movie I couldn't help singing, "But I found myself hanging out having a conversation with Ian Mckay about sobriety, and it occured to me he doesn't have the slightest fucking idea about my disease."

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Default Re: American Hardcore

No, but I want to.

I want to see that to. Thanks for the reminder.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

i saw the trailer on some movie i rented a week ago, ive been wanting to check it out but havent goten around to it

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

they need to make one about skacore and shit. They have Punk: Attitude and American hardcore, WHAT ABOUT IN BETWEEEEN!!?!?!

Jebadiah's Avatar Senior Member

If its new, I don't think I saw this one yet. Did they say much about the Misfits? They always seem to get little coverage in these things. I heard from a roadie who met Danzig that he's a real prick, and that every one in the biz thinks so. And so, I assume thats why.

yup i wanna see it , and MG i just noticed that your Av is the old Husker Du symbol. i've seen them here WAY back in like 1971 r 72 before they changed to the punk - rock scene bout 76 -78. ya been to many a Hasting Pudding show here in the day . well they were punker's then i guess .god i was wondering where ive seen that before..dont mind me ,its morn and yet too suck my first cup of Joe ,,,,

wait that didnt sound right ?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah, gnar, that's one thing that I didn't like, just the whole "yeah, punk died in 1985 and that was it" and then ignore everything that came afterwards for good or bad.. I know that everyone says that. I'd say that punk died in 99, and they said that in 1977 and all the old punks scoffed at all the bands depicted in this movie.

naw, they don't talk about the misfits jeb. I don't think that it's discredited on asshole danzigs account, because like everyone in the movie is wearing misfists shit, but the focus is on bands from around 1980-85, so it doesn't really cover the one's that came before, expect to talk about how the ramones and the other popular acts sucked.

well, i read in one of those books, 'fuck you heros' maybe? i dunno-anyway, the misfits were always really anti-scene. they basically did their shows, didn't hang out and do drugs with everybody else, didn't go to any other shows- and yeah, probably a large part of that had to do with glenn being a shit- but they had a really nasty reputation as a band for shows that basically ended in bloody brawls, and such... so they weren't really very well loved.

...i have a friend here in nyc who was into hardcore back then, and his only memory of the misfits was getting his ass beat down at one of their shows by some out of town assholes. basically the first (and last) time anything like that had ever happened to him at a hardcore show. him, and his buddies kind of went beserk after that.

it's funny though of that style of music, the misfits are the only ones i still listen to, outside of the rare single track a friend will play for me every blue moon.

but basically i don't think danzig's the type of person i'd want to talk to. and the old style of shows don't sound like "fun" to me anymore...

i take it back... there's still one band that cracks me up everytime.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jYye59dst...elated&search=

Evilbink's Avatar Sanctimonious Satyr

As much as i wish that someone would make a decent movie/docu, or otherwise about "punk", it dosen't out weighs my preferal to have my own experiences untainted by what others seem to belive what "punk" is.

Im sure that even if i made the movie myself, some other punk out there would think its an asqued view point.

Seems to me that punk is as mush an experienced viewpoint much like the three blind mice trying to determine what an elephant really is by touch. ( if you catch my drift )

Jebadiah's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Evilblink
    Seems to me that punk is as mush an experienced viewpoint much like the three blind mice trying to determine what an elephant really is by touch. ( if you catch my drift )

I completely agree with that!

My take on Punk is: unless you were locally, right there, back in the 70's you didn't even know it existed. It wasn't untill the 80's that you could find a Punk or two (in most places). And from my experiance, the only time it was really dead was 90 to 93. All the old "soft" Punk bands were putting out shit, and the "Hard" Punk bands were going metal. One of the signs, that told me this was true all over, was while everyone was claiming Punk influence ( even country singers ), no one claimed to be Punk. It was very upsetting.

I remember having to explain myself, saying that Punk is like being a biker, its not about whats in, and whats out, its about who you are.

*Goth is excluded from this commentary, as it was the only sub of "soft" Punk that didn't die from 90 to 93.

Yeah thats right, you heard me, Goth was sooofft. And thats why it touched me ha ha, he he, ( seasonal) ho, ho.

+ Reply to Thread