+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need a computer whiz

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

Default I need a computer whiz

anyone here a computer genuis? I am having some problems with spyware and I couldsure use some help I have downloaded numerous anti spyware programs but nothing helps and I know I am going to have to dive deep into my system. Some of the spyware is located in whatt is know as hkey_"_" whatever it may be file font whatever..where would I locate this "hkey" I reallywant to get to my hotmail and respond to my friends

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: I need a computer whiz

Hotmail is acting up in what way?

"hkey" stuff can be edited and accessed through a registry editor...windows has one build in. Not a place to screw around with lightly though.

Still before yougo diving in therewhat exactly are the problems you are having?

SUSIEQ502's Avatar Senior Member

IF YOU MESS UP YOUR REGISTRY YOU ARE FUCKED
    With that in mind...regedit can be typed from the run command right in your start menu. If you are unfamiliar with proper registry configuration, DON'T GO THERE
    There is also a very "popular?" virus that is email based that will cause you to pop up regigstry error codes. It is called netsky among other things.
    Best thing to do is go to www.bitdefender.com and use their free online scan tool. Make sure you enable the destruction of the evil virus forces. It will probably cure your ills, or tell ya what to do next. Be careful what you open people,(email) I've had 16 computers in my house since Friday all fuct up from viruses, $ for me, bad for you.

nausiatingpain's Avatar Senior Member

As others have said, the hkey thing is in your windows registry, which you can access by going to Run and typing regedit. If you've tried adaware and other similar programs and nothing has worked, I can only recommend reinstalling your OS. And do not use internet explorer. Mozilla/Firefox (or whatever it's called now) is much better. www.mozilla.org

Gothickitty's Avatar Meow, Listen to me Purrrr

Quote Originally Posted by nausiatingpain
    As others have said, the hkey thing is in your windows registry, which you can access by going to Run and typing regedit. If you've tried adaware and other similar programs and nothing has worked, I can only recommend reinstalling your OS. And do not use internet explorer. Mozilla/Firefox (or whatever it's called now) is much better. www.mozilla.org
    YES I agree

Scarlett1313's Avatar Member

Yes, I reccommend Mozilla as well. IE can cause greater problems, though Mozilla does not support all bank websites and a few other things that you may have to use a different browser for. My fiance is a computer whiz/computer science major and he has been teaching me many things.

As everyone else has said and it does work...There is a way through Start-Run-Regedit, but see if someone can help you first...there is more than likely a registry key in there that has been planted and you can remove them and you more than likely will be well off to better, but I don't reccommend doing it on your own if you dont know what you are doing.

I have had the problem many times and have gotten rid of the spybastards/spyware.

ok what you need to do is this
    1.) go to http://www.download.com/3001-8022-10308605.html (this link downloads Adaware.) If you have anyother spyware progs installed uninstall them BEFORE installing adaware...Install and get updates.....

2.)Then go to http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/ this is for AVG Antivirus....Its free...The little document thing you fill out is only for getting the serial number so you have to give them your E-Mail..They WILL NOT SEND YOU JUNK MAIL...I have been using it and have never recieved junk mail..Install this and do the updates...

3.) Restart you computer in SAFE MODE...To do this Restart your PC and while it is booting up start pushing F8 until the boot select screen pops up..When it appears select the safe mode option...Windows will start with only what it needs to run (anything to do with viruses will be disabled...)Then run ADAWARE FIRST....THEN RUN AVG ANTIVIRUS....

this should clear out most anthing that isnt supposed to be there...
    If you are running Windows XP and things are still not running right AFTER all this is done do this.....

1.)Get your windows XP CD put it in your CD rom....
    2.)Restart your PC...While it is booting watch the screen for this Dialogue..(To boot from CD press any key) When you see it press any key....
    Windows will start the reinstall process.....You arent going to reinstall .....
    Windows has a built in repair tool...run the repair and it will set windows back to default settings...You will not loose any info you will not have to Re-install any programs...

Hope this helps

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

wow thankyou everyone for your help, Thankyou so very much!!!

+ Reply to Thread