+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What are your thoughts on not prosecuting agents who tortured?

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Default What are your thoughts on not prosecuting agents who tortured?

Is 'only following orders' an excuse or not? It wasn't an excuse in the Nuremberg trials, but was that really the right call?

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Default Re: What are your thoughts on not prosecuting agents who tortured?

you raise a good point with nuremburg.

As one of the countries who helped come up with the whole geneva code of conventions we should take a good hard look at that.

this country is supposed to have the best military in the world. best tech, best training, best gear and best ethics.
    we're not third world guerillas and there is always a way of getting information that's credible rather than coaxed or unreliable without breaking out the waterboard or car battery and nipple clamp jumper cables.

it's no surprise, i hated bush-both of them actually

and rumsfield was a money syphoning insult to the fine men and women who serve our country.

i'd love to know exactly how much money that was supposed to go towards providing our forces with proper equipment went into his bank account befor ehe "retired" seeing as people had to literally go out of their way to provide family members over seas gear like flack jackets and shit with money out of their own pockets that should have been straight up issued by d.o.d

I have a huge respect for the military being a veteran myself and It's a sham the way they've been treated thus far with shitty medical care, improper equipment and don't even get me started on pat tillman and the cover up over his friendly fire related death to help make the war in iraq more favorable to the public.

I think as far as this torture shit goes, personally, the Real people who should be prosecuted here are the ones who made the orders.

the ones who decided to go and find a loophole around the geneva conventions by titling the people being tortured as "enemy combatant detainees" instead of "prisoners of war" (which is the same damn thing just phrased differently.)

and ofcourse, there's one particular person living cushy in a nice little suburb in texas off of the taxpayers he so royally fucked over for eight long years of frankly a trainwreck of leadership that i'd love to see sitting in a courtroom right now in handcuffs.

thats my opinion atleast.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

well, you figure the people who did the torturing were government property, i think they are fucking shitty people for doing it, but the people who gave the orders need to be prosecuted it needs to go higher up and they all need to burn. Im really pissed about this right now.

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Here's the thing. If the person doing the torture knew it was wrong, he's just as responsible (morally and legally) as the person giving the order. The order was an illegal order, and the people doing the deed should have known. It really is that simple, "following orders" is never an excuse because they could have went to a higher commander and reported the order.

Now, that's my "book" answer. Me, I don't know what exactly they were doing to "torture" them, but depending on who the person was, maybe they deserved it. Iraq/Afghanistan terrorists never signed the Geneva Convention, and I've had to go fix bullet holes in Med Evac helicopters, which by the Geneva Convention, aren't allowed to have a crew served weapon and are suppose to be off limits to fire upon. Of the 4 people on the bird, there is 4 rifles and 4 9mm pistols to protect them, even if they are going into an area with heavy enemy fire. But again, it depends on what is considered torture. Anything actually physically painful, I don't agree with, but psychological is good to me.

I was always a fan of blaring heavy metal on a stereo until they cracked.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

where they torturing with the intent to kill, or just messing with thier heads and slapping them around a bit?

the inquisition was bad..........do they still do stuff like that anymore?

Obamas in a shitty political situation. If he does nothing his people call him a lier/weak blah blah. If he does too much the right goes hes a weak/lier/terrorist lover.

So he banned torture and gave immunity to the agents who performed their duties under a different presidency.

Sounds fair to me.

malcolm's Avatar the bored one.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanmbailey
    I was always a fan of blaring heavy metal on a stereo until they cracked.
    yeah. i dont think thats one of the things people were pissed at.

they were probably more pissed about the shit like the old waterboarding technique where they put a bag over the persons' head then tied them down and dumped bucket after bucket of water on their head

and the one where they had the guy standing on a wooden crate in a room filled with water with electric wires attached to his fingers.

the music or noise assault method is actually pretty brilliant fi youthink about it because first off, they think our music is evil and secondly who doesnt enjoylistening to heavy metal music on stage speakers at high volume and the news----who just have their nose way too far into whats going on for a privatised company controlled media resource to be if you ask me---doesnt make it out to be something majorly bad like the otherstuff. they even cracked jokes about themm having to listen to barney over and over out here.

as for geneva. yes, it kinda sux about iraq not signing it etc. but we didnt justsign it, we helped create it and it's supposed to be countries that signed it have to live up to it's requirements no matter what last i checked.
    but again i ahvent been in the ilitary for like eight years now soim a little rusty on the rules and regs.

+ Reply to Thread