Daniel Waters is back with a vengeance.

A Hollywood movie that isn't dogshit?
Time will Tell.

Waters Talks Sex And Death

Daniel Waters, writer and director of the upcoming surreal black comedy Sex and Death 101, told SCI FI Wire that he made the film in part because there aren't enough good American movies about sex anymore."I just find that there are so few movies about sex in general," Waters said in an interview on the film's set at Paramount Studios in Los Angeles on June 15. "It seems like there's either the pretentious, boring, Eyes Wide Shut kind of thing, or the dorky ... movies written by people who don't really know what sex is, like American Pie or something like that. ... But the thing is if you go back to the '70s, you had movies like Shampoo, Diary of a Mad Housewife, ... they were great movies, and they ... weren't, like, Laemmle Sunset Five [art house] movies, either."

Sex and Death 101 stars Simon Baker (Land of the Dead) as Roderick Blank, a successful entrepreneur who, on the eve of his wedding, gets an anonymous e-mail with a list of all the women he's had sex with—and all the women he will ever have sex with. As he tries to find out who the names on the list are, he finds himself pursued by a female serial killer named Death Nell (Winona Ryder, who starred in Waters' early film Heathers).

Ironically, Waters said, "there's been more movies ... and TV shows about serial killers than there has been serial killing. But sex, you know, as far as actual times it happens and actual movies that are about it and take it seriously as people do in real life, [those] are pretty nonexistent, you know? ... Not that I want to make the great serious movie about sex. But I think that the only way to do it is through humor, and kind of intelligent humor. I mean, I call this movie 'If Philip K. Dick and Philip Roth did a book together, it would be like this.' And I will leave you on that one." Sex and Death 101, which also stars Julie Bowen and Dash Mihok, is currently in production under Cary Brokaw's Avenue Pictures. Also producing are Sandbar principals Lizzie Friedman and Greg Little.

Patrick Lee

Happy Solstice and Summer All!

OEC