+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fame & Privacy

Mother Superior

Default Fame & Privacy

Do you think once you become famous and are a public figure, you forfeit your privacy? I think it comes with the territory. I don't think it's right to not be able to go to a Dr.s office or to the store without hordes of photographers jumping out every 2 seconds but that's the price of fame & fortune. The public's obsession with celebrity is out of control.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Default Re: Fame & Privacy

yeah, sometimes, I feel sorry for them..as much as I hate brittany spears, shit happens and they are really on her back, and when it comes to your kid..its bullshit,
    like recently she slipped on her heel and she caught herself but they made this huge deal cause she was holding her kid...shit happens, like the other day I put Kaden in his carseat then finished loading the groceries, and drove home, but somehow I forgot to strap him in all of the way, when I got home I realized..but if I was a celebrity its be this huge awful deal...oi
    plus it shows how people have such sad little lives to obsess over someone elses

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    Do you think once you become famous and are a public figure, you forfeit your privacy? I think it comes with the territory. I don't think it's right to not be able to go to a Dr.s office or to the store without hordes of photographers jumping out every 2 seconds but that's the price of fame & fortune. The public's obsession with celebrity is out of control.

simply yes ..

thats why id rather be underground famous *_*

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    thats why id rather be underground famous *_*
    Haha. You and me both.

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    yeah, sometimes, I feel sorry for them..as much as I hate brittany spears, shit happens and they are really on her back, and when it comes to your kid..its bullshit...
    Lol. I agree with your point but did you have to use HER as an example of your empathy? She is actually one of the few I don't feel any sympathy for.

Brittney and Tom Cruise. I hope the fires of Babylon rain unholy fury in the form of paparazzis upon the lives of those two.

What about Jacko, he got a raw deal huh?

Raven0129's Avatar Member

I remember hearing a story about a celebrity that picked up a camera and started following the reporters around snapping pictures of them trying to go about their lives.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

but then again, there are a lot of famous people who are actually given some respect and left alone .face it ,you want to be famous for being an idiot like some of those celebrities then accept the fact that noone cares about your feelings or your privacy, your job is to be a public idiot and we dont want to miss a thing because it's a sick old world and laughter is the best medicine ...and I'm starting to ramble, I'll just shut up now

Bedlamite

I think celebs should have the right to some privacy, as much as any normal citizen would have. I don't think that the Paparazzi should be able to misuse the rights of the press the way that they do. Although we are a culture of celebrity, I don't think anyone has the right to crawl up your behind with a microscope. I don't think most people, even those that -say- they want to be famous are prepared for what its really like to be stalked 24/7. And I think that anyone that says that Celebs deserve to forfeit basic rights prolly don't know what its like to be the object of obsession.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

It is, unfortunately, part of the job. You work in Wendys, you have to put on the stupid shirt. You sell 6 million albums, you have to put your trash through a shredder and fit OnStar to your dog.

I feel for those who 'received' fame rather than went out to get it - famous victims of news stories, families of the famous, etc - but nobody goes into music or acting without some hope of 'being successful at it', and knowing from before day 1 that it'll mean attention. Bands that sit on TRL and say "we never wanted to be famous, we just wanted to get our music heard.. like this is soooo freaky...." were either let out of the psych ward on day-ticket, or were told by their publicist that "modesty is the new cool".

Nobody can pick their fans. Everyone hopes that what they do is liked, and they'll get fans who are decent, sensible human beings - but if you manage less than 10% of the emails and letters starting with "I hate you sooo much..." you're doing fckn well. The 90% say they respect your privacy, and flame those who stray into stalking, but if you gave them your address they'd all be there anyways.

The only thing that really grates is historical interest - unless your family was in the business, you're not born into it. When you finally decide to play, and accept all the lifestyle changes, you can't repaint your childhood. Everyone has something in their past they don't want to talk about - tragedy, bad judgement, whatever - and that becomes fair game for the media and fans just like your current life.

mG

sheramil's Avatar Maracite Inreach program

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    I feel for those who 'received' fame rather than went out to get it - famous victims of news stories, families of the famous, etc...

as do i.. until they suddenly realise the spotlight is on them, understand it won't be on them next week, and begin acting like shameless media whores.

a good example of this is those two guys who were trapped in a Tasmanian mine cave-in recently. yes, yes, ordeal, tragic, heroes, spirit of mateship blah blah blah. they weren't even dug out before Eddie McGuire was down there sniffing around like a dog in heat, and when they did get out it was "no holes barred", as Burroughs used to like saying.

it's almost as if they weren't going to get any financial compensation for their near-death experience, so they had to sell themselves to the media. it's hard to decide whether to be saddened or disgusted.

so i settle for cynically bemused.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

It is difficult to separate inappropriate 'Paparazzi' attention from the false tabloid press release driven wolf crying. Sometimes it can be really terrible and invasive, but sometimes the guy got called from the celebs publicist to show up at such and such store or house or party or whatever. A lot of times the celeb complaint is simply a way for them to tell the public how big they supposedly are. But on the flipside, once the Us Magazine crowd gets a taste of somebody they feel interested in, they don't seem to let up too easily either.

+ Reply to Thread