+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What did your parents teach you?

Mother Superior

Default What did your parents teach you?

Were there any lessons or philosophies of life you learned from your parents or where they just kind of there? My parents were really young when they had me, I am almost 40, they aren't even 60, hehe. I suppose they taught me not to have children at too young of an age, it's something you need to be mentally prepared for. It may seem like a good idea at the time but, maybe should be reconsidered. Though people will and do still keep on doing as they wish, we have the right to that.

Default Re: What did your parents teach you?

Bah, Im still trying unlearn most of the crap those worthless shitheads ever said to me!
    I never considered them anywhere near human, and never will. Dung would be too much of a good title for people like them.
    I would rant on, but thats what the livejournal is for.
    (Please Pardon The Language.)

DyingSunshine's Avatar Senior Member

It sounds kinda lame, but my I think my parents taught me more than anything how to love.
    To know when to give your love away, and when to keep it.
    When to be tough, and when to let your guard down.
    I didn't realize they had taught me so much until I moved 2,000 miles away from them.

Quote Originally Posted by DyingSunshine
    It sounds kinda lame, but my I think my parents taught me more than anything how to love.
    To know when to give your love away, and when to keep it.
    When to be tough, and when to let your guard down.
    I didn't realize they had taught me so much until I moved 2,000 miles away from them.
    If your parents actually love you, and care for you, and are Good people, treasure that.

Mother Superior

Dying Sunshine: That doesn't sound lame at all, it sounds wonderful. Seems like they tried to prepare you for life, realistically.

CeruleanFire's Avatar Senior Member

my parents were like Mirrens, had me too young, but the one thing they did instill in me, is to believe in myself. They pretty much showed me that though they could be complete screw ups, they loved me, and I could do whatever I want. It was NEVER easy, I could write a book (as could we all) but the lesson I learned was, stop blaming my parents, society..blah, blah, blah, and get on with it. I did...went to college..got a good job...raised a son..so now its fun time/relaxation for me

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

My dad taught me how to cuss, his dad was a sailor so he learned some great swear words. I'd listen to my dad from my room and he'd be in the garage yelling at the car for not starting. So usually I'd hear some nice things coming out of the garage.

My mom actually taught me how to give a shit about people. So I actually have a conscience thanks to her. She is overprotective though, but that's a problem on her side of the family.

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

My mom and my dad are both old fashioned in some ways so some of their advice have no real place in the "liberal" life that I live. For instance, my mom recently asked me, "Do you have food prepared for him [my partner] for when he comes home from school?" And I was thinking, What am I? A slave? A maid? He can cook for himself!

But my mom did teach me a lot about finding my own happiness. To combat my own boredom, to find something that will make me happy and to reach for it. To find my passion. To channel boredom, frustration, etc. into things I love. Freedom, art, literature-- my mom has been a strong inspiration to me in making myself happy.

My dad? I didn't have much of a relationship with him when I was young. But he was always there. He was never out drunk, he never stayed out all night, and when he wasn't working, he was home. He loved my mom very much and provided a means for me to go to college. He was selfless in certain ways with the family, which I now see. He also taught us our first swear words, as well (when he was trying to fix things around the house).

Lady-Orchard's Avatar Junior Member

They did teach *some* good things but the others were just a bit hipocritical.
    I'm the youngest, therefore my parents were too caught up in trying to raise my 2 Brothers and Sister.
    But some of their outlooks on life helped me out a great deal in the long run.

Adolfo8's Avatar Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    If your parents actually love you, and care for you, and are Good people, treasure that.
    I agree Absolutely d'acord

About be lame... If to love your children it is lame, I'm lame.
    If to wish the best, for your kids it is lame, I'm lame.
    If to have good feelings for the people that really you love, your family or your friends it is lame. I'm lame.
    Call me lame. I do not care.

DyingSunshine's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adolfo8
    About be lame... If to love your children it is lame, I'm lame.
    If to wish the best, for your kids it is lame, I'm lame.
    If to have good feelings for the people that really you love, your family or your friends it is lame. I'm lame.
    Call me lame. I do not care.

I never said it was lame.. I said it sounds kinda lame for ME to be talking about love. If you know me, you would understand. I think it's awesome to instill love, and actually know how to love people. Most don't.

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

i'm afraid i'm with larkin...

They fuck you up your mum and dad
    they may not mean to, but they do.
    they fill you up with faults they have
    and add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked upin their time
    But men in old-style hats and coats
    Who half the time were sloppy-stern
    and half at one anothers throats.

man passes misery to man
    it deepens like a coastal shelf
    get out as early as you can
    and don't have any kids yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by DyingSunshine

I never said it was lame.. I said it sounds kinda lame for ME to be talking about love. If you know me, you would understand. I think it's awesome to instill love, and actually know how to love people. Most don't.
    Sorry I have not expressed myself well. It was not a critic against you or your opinions...

I tried to say is that the present "way of society" makes fun of of certain feelings...

i.e "the modern dominant man" (or woman) the winner, the powerful, the admired ... does not cry, does not sweat, does not smell bad, they are not hungry, they are not thirsty, they are not sleepy, their ability to work is infinite...etc. are the young, healthy, clean and politically correct men and wome of the XXI century...
    Plain Brains... but if one day he(or she) cries in public, those (fake) respect and admiration of the people around them (people who it is a clone of themselves) were lost.

That I try to say is that I prefer that the people of my around see me crying in I public if it is necessary, because I will have earned the respect of the people who also are able to express their feelings in public.

Excuse me this long answer. I repeat I was not to criticize you.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

My parents taught me that staying together for the sake of the kids is a bad idea. My mom taught me that all teh therapy in the world isn't a substitute for some one who actually cares for and tries be close to you. My dad taught me that hiding behind the computer or the newspaper is no way to deal with your problems. (He also taught me how to throw a frizbee and flick bottle caps in such a way that I can then bounce them off my elbow). My mom taught me the importance of aiming whether it be throwing darts or meat cleavers. From both of them I learned that raising a child is a FULL TIME JOB. if you're going to have kids you need to relise that your life as you knew it is over and your life now belongs to the kid, at least untill the kid hits jr. high, then you might get some time to your self again. I learned that sometimes being a parrent is more important than being a friend. I also learned how not to fail as a parent. (I guess that's a nice way of saying I learned how not to be like them.)
    K

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

(rant)Heh. I's still in parental custody. I hate it, I can't do this, or that.
    Anyways thats not the topic :p
    My dad taught me...im not to sure... I guess I've taught myself...
    Of course my dad is there for me and such, but I don't think he's ever taught me a lesson...
    1. Dont run with a psycho face at night, unless you wanna get punched.
    I learned that the hard way
    2. Dont try to fly...cause you can't. I learned that also the hard way at the age of 5...or 6 ^.^
    Yeah.... heh

My Mom hasn't taught me anything because my parents divorced when I was 1.5 to 2 years old. Although I still see her... She hasn't really taught me anything....
    (/rant)

Genesis's Avatar Member

*If * there is anything that my mother taught me, it would have to be how to be self sufficiant. Not needing her or others to support myself. I raised myself and my little sister (who is only three years younger than me) with little to no help from her drug addicted ass.
    I'm still very bitter, can you tell?

memorydream's Avatar Sage

I liked them, still am friends with them and accept them as people. They get on my nerves and make big mistakes. They say they love me and visably react postivitely when I'm around. I love them and they are some of the best long term influences I could have chosen to have.

Yes, liars, adulterers and drunkards all. We have a wonderful time at Christmas.

Mother Superior

I finally looked at my parent's as people not demigods, that is when it became easier to deal with their antics. No issue gets cast aside even if it managed to land on a holiday in my family, it's another day. No reason to delay what needs to be said, that's just how they are. I love them too though they often seemed so close-minded at times. When I was younger they really didn't understand what I was into but they also didn't want to accept the fact that they never censored anything I read or watched. I am fortunate they let me explore everything pretty much with freedom. Finally, as I got older, they really just stayed off my back. It seems as they get older they tend to change as well, as in my parent's case, it was for the better. We get along extremely well now. There comes a time when you just have to tell them to grow up, because you have.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

well from my dad as coeny as it sounds i learned that if you work hard enough you can succeed in wahtever you want,and hes a good example of a hardworking blue collar type guy because when he came to this country he only had 5 dollars and a 3rd grade education aand now hes the head supervisor at the place were he works bossing arund people with more schooling than him. Its something ive always thought was very funny.

Mother Superior

Instilling a good work ethinc is extremely important. You have to teach your kids everything doesn't come on a silver platter. My parent's taught me to be a conscientious worker and have good business sense.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

my parents taught me that b not giving me an allowance evrything i got i had to work for which made me not want to spend my money on stupid things like all the other kids were

Belladonna's Avatar Senior Member

my parents taught me to stick it out.loving someone is hard but giving up on them is'nt an option. they showed me that beating my hard-headed 10 yaer old is a bad idea. that women and men are pritty much the same so i do'nt let men hold me down.(that was one my dad did his best to make clear) being mom means giving even when it hurts.

not a damned thing

+ Reply to Thread