+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wave Gotik Treffen 2010

Default Wave Gotik Treffen 2010

I got back from WGT yesterday. Anybody else here go there, this year or otherwise?

It was pretty sweet. I think I made most of the right decisions packing; a second jacket or pair of shoes wouldn't have been worth it. Nothing broke that I couldn't fix, nothing missing that I really needed. If anything, we could have done with less food brought along, and fewer club-oriented clothes and accessories. Better to wear something that can take the rough outdoors and look good doing it.

We heard a lot of horror stories in advance, about the pains of the camping and lines. Camping turned out to be two thirds of the fun: being in the middle of it all day and night was definitely one of the best parts, and shaving and make-up weren't really that much of a problem. The lines and club security were a pain, the few times we went to see something specific, but fortunately there was more than enough to do outside of the high-security areas. Bands are overrated, and I got to see the only one I really wanted to without too much trouble anyway.

The main attraction is all the beautiful dressed up people, of course. It's really quite unjust that we have to pay them to get in and look at each other, while all the ticket money goes to musicians and those dreadful security thugs. They should have special access Eye Candy wristbands with reduced or free entry, and put some effort into decoration already.

Germany's nice. Everything is overgrown and decrepit and painted on in graffiti, and altogether very much to my tastes.

Default Re: Wave Gotik Treffen 2010

Never been but always wanted to. Maybe one day I'll get to play it. Glad you had fun.

You take any photos?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I got back from WGT yesterday. Anybody else here go there, this year or otherwise?

It was pretty sweet. I think I made most of the right decisions packing; a second jacket or pair of shoes wouldn't have been worth it. Nothing broke that I couldn't fix, nothing missing that I really needed. If anything, we could have done with less food brought along, and fewer club-oriented clothes and accessories. Better to wear something that can take the rough outdoors and look good doing it.

We heard a lot of horror stories in advance, about the pains of the camping and lines. Camping turned out to be two thirds of the fun: being in the middle of it all day and night was definitely one of the best parts, and shaving and make-up weren't really that much of a problem. The lines and club security were a pain, the few times we went to see something specific, but fortunately there was more than enough to do outside of the high-security areas. Bands are overrated, and I got to see the only one I really wanted to without too much trouble anyway.

The main attraction is all the beautiful dressed up people, of course. It's really quite unjust that we have to pay them to get in and look at each other, while all the ticket money goes to musicians and those dreadful security thugs. They should have special access Eye Candy wristbands with reduced or free entry, and put some effort into decoration already.

Germany's nice. Everything is overgrown and decrepit and painted on in graffiti, and altogether very much to my tastes.
    Los Angeles clubs security and lines are certainly a pain, but Hollywood effectively does have Eye Candy wristbands. Like a lot of clubs will put either specific people they personally know will get decked out on the guest list or some more mainstream clubs just send modeling agencies in town carte blanche to send over any guest list they feel like. Of course, some will only let a guy in with a certain number of hot chicks, so it isn't all good exactly either.

I haven't been to WGT since 2000, and I keep meaning to go again. That was the year, sadly, when one of the planners ran off with a lot of the funding, and the festival ended early. There's a whole slew of stories around that, but my typing fingers are not up for it today. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alias View Post
    You take any photos?
    We were mostly on the receiving end of that. We had too much stuff to carry around already to want to worry about adding a camera, and we were confident that others would pick up our slack. =)

Which turned out true, of course; there's tonnes of pictures to find online. I haven't even seen a third of them yet, myself. Here's one of me I got sent to me on facebook, though, looking all unpolished and traveler-ish with my backpack on.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G View Post
    Los Angeles clubs security and lines are certainly a pain, but Hollywood effectively does have Eye Candy wristbands. Like a lot of clubs will put either specific people they personally know will get decked out on the guest list or some more mainstream clubs just send modeling agencies in town carte blanche to send over any guest list they feel like. Of course, some will only let a guy in with a certain number of hot chicks, so it isn't all good exactly either.
    I've read about this being commonplace in the US. I think I'd be annoyed with security no matter what they were filtering on, but it'd be nice if that guest list thing blew over. =)

Quote Originally Posted by inox View Post
    I haven't been to WGT since 2000, and I keep meaning to go again. That was the year, sadly, when one of the planners ran off with a lot of the funding, and the festival ended early. There's a whole slew of stories around that, but my typing fingers are not up for it today. ;D
    Well that sucks. I wonder how that happened. (But only passingly, so feel free to save your fingers. =P)

Gawd-damn photographers with their copyright crap. It's almost offensive to have that painted on a picture of me. My appearance is not his bloody creation!

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

We'll go if we end up skipping the pond next year. Looks like a lot of fun + I am a live music addict. Guest lists can really be a mixed blessing. I think they would work in some Hollywood clubs. Unless those people actually do attract others, they can kill a club.

There's a lot of live music there, but the big names can be a pain to get to, especially when they're not in the big main hall.

I think the most fun I had watching bands was with chance run-ins just walking into places. There was this one electronic punk band - punk vocals and performance energy to an industrial-ish (what's the electronic equivalent of instrumentals? That.). They were really nicely done up too, colored mohawks and painted all over with messy colorful body paint, a creative mix of punk and cyber. Which isn't the same as cyberpunk, but there was some of that, too. Playing in this zero-security hall where we'd been expecting DJd music. They were a lot of fun to watch, even if the music itself probably wouldn't make it onto my home playlist. I'm told by bigger music appreciators that the charm of WGT is that they book a lot of small underground bands, so it's a good place to scout out what's happening in less hip genres.

Anyway, how do you kill a club by letting a few people in for free? The building's there anyway, security can be left out at no loss and the bar earns its own keep. Half the parties I attend let everyone in free, and they're still there.

You kill a club night if like 1/2 the people are in for free and they are more a detriment than attraction. I've seen some extreme situations. You have to pay for the venue and performers. I like doing live music at private parties better as well. No worries then.

So you're paying for the use of space, as well as a specific subset of participants to be present at all, but you identify a group that costs you nothing as the cause of a negative financial balance?

This strikes me as the sort of thing that can only be made to appear logical by several decades worth of habit. I understand that you didn't create it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    So you're paying for the use of space, as well as a specific subset of participants to be present at all, but you identify a group that costs you nothing as the cause of a negative financial balance?

This strikes me as the sort of thing that can only be made to appear logical by several decades worth of habit. I understand that you didn't create it, though.
    That was the situation I saw (and you are correct, that club had built up a list that was illogical for about a decade) I didn't do so personally. I declined that situation. I did do live shows for awhile where it was just the standard performer lists, but I prefer private events as well. They're just more relaxed and fun.

Skeletal LU[s]topia's Avatar Junior Member

yep it was my third time and it was awesome, can't wait till next year being in paradise again for 4 beautiful days!

+ Reply to Thread