+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Games.

Mother Superior

Default Games.

What were your favorite games to play as a child? Do you play any games now? I always went for Monopoly, Risk, Sorry, Candyland, Operation,Life, Don't Break The Ice, Concentration, and Checkers of course. I did spend time playing jacks and jumping rope too. Colorforms also had a lot to offer me at the time. As for games I play now, Monopoly is still a favorite, If I have 5 hours to kill. I usually put a time limit on the game. I play poker mainly.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Default Re: Games.

Scrabble, Pictionary, Risk, Battle Ships and Pick Up Sticks. Card games are another story. Poker, Crazy Eights, Rummy, Kings' Korner, and the occasional game of Go Fish, when I'm too bored to watch tv but feeling too "stupid" to play anything else.
    K

hewhoisagod's Avatar Captain Obvious

Risk, chess, checkers, go fish, cooties.............. I still play all but go fish and cooties......... plus numerous RPG's, I'll never grow up just old.

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Mine were Candyland, Sorry, Clue, Stratego, Monopoly, Battleship, Barrel Full of Monkeys and Checkers. We played kickball endlessly, that was really the only game all the neighborhood kids would play together. Of course, we lit off an infinite amount of firewords during the month of July and were obsessed with candy.

We were kind of unusual semi-ghetto kids though. We did a lot of pretend games and like most boys, in the 80s, did the pretend things with G.I. Joe, Transformers, Thundercats and He-Man. But, I also remember playing things like Smurfs and My Little Pony too. For my little pony we would actually stuff big foam tails in the back of our jeans ('cause that is what all kids wore in the early 80s) and yell out if we were unicorns, pegasus or pegasus-unicorns. This was at the same time we were in our mini-bikes and BB gun phases too.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Never played too many board games as a kid...just the standard stuff like Trouble, Battleships, Connect 4, and Axis & Allies...

Then I started playing Console and PC games like a madman...never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    Scrabble, Pictionary, Risk, Battle Ships and Pick Up Sticks. Card games are another story. Poker, Crazy Eights, Rummy, Kings' Korner, and the occasional game of Go Fish, when I'm too bored to watch tv but feeling too "stupid" to play anything else.
    K
    Oops, forgot those card games, like Rummy, Go Fish, War, even Canasta and then there was an awful lot of Uno too. Also, my grandmother introduced us to Rummicube, which is still out there quite a bit. We would gamble with nickles.

ah Clue... I wanted to grow up and be Miss Scarlet when I was little. Any one seen the movie with Leslie Ann Warren, Madeline Khan, Christopher Lloyd and Tim Curry?
    I dunno if I can count my RPG's under "Childhood" games. I was like 14-15 then, and usually StoryTeller or Dungeon Master, depending on the game...
    K

ah Clue... I wanted to grow up and be Miss Scarlet when I was little. Any one seen the movie with Leslie Ann Warren, Madeline Khan, Christopher Lloyd and Tim Curry?
    I dunno if I can count my RPG's under "Childhood" games. I was like 14-15 then, and usually StoryTeller or Dungeon Master, depending on the game...
    K
    Oh, I loved that movie, and still watch it from time to time. I played it on Nintendo a lot when they came out with that. My brother and I were big on it. It's funny, with Clue, it seemed like the only way to win was to be Miss Scarlet (number one choice, anyway) or Professor Plum. I used to think it was Susan Sarandon who played Miss Scarlet in the movie, but then I actually read the credits. Many of them did such a good job acting in that one. That maid, Yvette, oh my, I still recall quite clearly that is where the fetish I have for French Maids started.

When I was 14 we actually started playing the Teenage Mutant Turtles RPG. That was my first game master experience.

Plus, in Clue: The Movie, Miss Scarlett strangling Yvette was very interesting to me, even then, for some reason.

As a kid I played chess a lot ...My grandfather taught me to play...I also liked Scrabble, Spades, Poker, Carribean Poker, and hearts....

Now I mostly play Spades, Rook, Chess, And PC Roleplaying Games (Neverwinter Nights) And first person shooters (Battlefield Vietnam, Unreal Tournament 2004)......I also used to play a card game called Magic The Gathering.....

Quote Originally Posted by -=Asmodeus=-
    .....I also used to play a card game called Magic The Gathering.....
    Funny you should mention that, I jsut got though re-arrangin the spare room and crammed under the old couch were three deck boxes, the big ones, dating back to when I was in Jr. High...wow. That's all I have to say.
    K

Funny you should mention that, I jsut got though re-arrangin the spare room and crammed under the old couch were three deck boxes, the big ones, dating back to when I was in Jr. High...wow. That's all I have to say.
    K

I have quite a collection of the cards...and I am thinking of selling them on E-Bay...You can get a lot of money for some of the more Rare cards...I have a shit load of Rares that I won at competitions...

I dont play anymore...so I am gonna make back some of the money I invested in the game.

Poker,Scrabble, Pictionary,Clue and Chess w/ Cyn

I'd sell my cards too, but I'm afraid the other half won't let me. He's terribly attatched to those bits of painted paper... One day, maybe, I'll teach my kids how to play an they'll be like Super Geeks...
    K

Some Examples Of Stuff I Like:

Fire Warrior:

Prison Complex

Fire Warriors in a line:

Fire Warrior on an Imperial Space Ship:

Dawn Of War:

Devastator Squad:

Battle:

UltraMarines:

A Cuddly DreadNought:

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

hmmm i like to play PC games, what i liked to play growing up...wait i still am :p what i like to play is go fish, blackjack <---i really like that game.... candyland, monoply... i remember when i was 7 and i couldn't play it was like 8 & up DAMN YOU MONOPLY!! then when i played it was like : oh. how fun. battleship, talking battleship =D hmmmm Risk i think thats it...

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

I'd sell my cards too, but I'm afraid the other half won't let me. He's terribly attatched to those bits of painted paper... One day, maybe, I'll teach my kids how to play an they'll be like Super Geeks...
    K
    ALL HAIL SUPER GEEKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    hmmm i like to play PC games, what i liked to play growing up...wait i still am :p what i like to play is go fish, blackjack <---i really like that game.... candyland, monoply... i remember when i was 7 and i couldn't play it was like 8 & up DAMN YOU MONOPLY!! then when i played it was like : oh. how fun. battleship, talking battleship =D hmmmm Risk i think thats it...
    I love those games also.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

anyithing involving tho words nintendo antertainment system,chess, candyland,chutes and ladders,i also learnred how to play craps at a very young age to thanks to those older kids i wasnt suposed to talk to

koolagh's Avatar Resident Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by -=Asmodeus=-
    I have quite a collection of the cards...and I am thinking of selling them on E-Bay...You can get a lot of money for some of the more Rare cards...I have a shit load of Rares that I won at competitions...

I dont play anymore...so I am gonna make back some of the money I invested in the game.
    As I am someone who recently had to pawn all of my Magic cards, keep me in mind when you start selling them.

postcoital's Avatar Curiously Strong Altoid

Fire Warrior is the gayest WH40K PC game ever made by mankind. It sucks to no end, and I pray my thanks to God almighty that I was broke when I thought I should buy it, because there are so few WH40K games.

gonesavage's Avatar That Crazy Chinese Woman
    born in canada, grew up in rochester, NY (the sticks)

candyland, chess, cards... then I got nintendo and never looked back. Now I'm on xbox. oh yeah, and D&D and Magic: the Gathering

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

Hey BrightStar, maybe you could make those piccies links?

They are really making my page scroll, and i know some folks here are stuck in dial-up hell. That's a lot of load time there.

Thanks,
    ~Histrionica~

Quote Originally Posted by postcoital
    Fire Warrior is the gayest WH40K PC game ever made by mankind. It sucks to no end, and I pray my thanks to God almighty that I was broke when I thought I should buy it, because there are so few WH40K games.
    Out of curiosity, how come you didnt like that game?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Agreed...it was awful in just about every way. Not only did it try to clone Halo but it ditched a lot of what made the TAU interesting and some of the most basic parts of a shooter. Just a mediocre design of a game coupled with a wasted liscense.

A real dissapointment.

elefun.....i like playing with the net

As a kid I didn't really do the board games much. I did cut out little masks from some of my dads black shirts and then go out and pretend to be bat girl. Now though I'm all about the console gaming. Can't part with my PS2. Or the X box for that matter...or Dreamcast....or SNES and Genesis. Oh hell I love em all.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Clue rules! I didn't have any brothers or sisters around when I was growing up, so the board games we're not a terribly good option. But, I did enjoy clue a lot when I had the chance. -=Asmodeus=- mentioned Magic the Gathering, which came out many years later. The funny thing about that game is that the WotC folks loved Blue Blood and many of them would trade stacks of new cards for hot magazines. Amelia and I still have some insane collection of MtG cards in some random boxes around somewhere. Steve Jackson did some creative games, but Illuminati always makes me want to stab other players in the eye. As far as what I like now, enjoy Unreal Championship on XBOX Live, and Warcraft, if I ever have time.

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

Cranium is fun, Clue, RPGS can be fun but I like painting the figures more then playing uhm..hmmm Crib, Clue, Risk, card games and card tricks. Don't mind the od video game, I didn't know there was a warhammer RPG..is that PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Agreed...it was awful in just about every way. Not only did it try to clone Halo but it ditched a lot of what made the TAU interesting and some of the most basic parts of a shooter. Just a mediocre design of a game coupled with a wasted liscense.

A real dissapointment.
    The coolest WH40K game I've played so far, was Gorka Morka. Some kind of racing game with space orcs. You could switch between the orc who's driving and the orc who's firing the missiles. I'm not sure if it was ever released, since I only had a demo and never saw the game in stores.

The coolest WH40K game I've played so far, was Gorka Morka. Some kind of racing game with space orcs. You could switch between the orc who's driving and the orc who's firing the missiles. I'm not sure if it was ever released, since I only had a demo and never saw the game in stores.
    Gorka Morka ROCKS! It is an old game though, and really difficult to find. Rumour has it that they may Re-Release Gorka Morka, like they did with NecroMunda.

Gothickitty's Avatar Meow, Listen to me Purrrr

I loved chinese joperope and hop scotch as a kid. As an adult I love all board games. I also enjoy cards games like rummy, poker, war, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    Clue rules! I didn't have any brothers or sisters around when I was growing up, so the board games we're not a terribly good option. But, I did enjoy clue a lot when I had the chance. -=Asmodeus=- mentioned Magic the Gathering, which came out many years later. The funny thing about that game is that the WotC folks loved Blue Blood and many of them would trade stacks of new cards for hot magazines. Amelia and I still have some insane collection of MtG cards in some random boxes around somewhere. Steve Jackson did some creative games, but Illuminati always makes me want to stab other players in the eye. As far as what I like now, enjoy Unreal Championship on XBOX Live, and Warcraft, if I ever have time.
    Clue was Amazing. I love the Movie Version as well. They had tons of major name actors and actresses there.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Doubt it ever hit retail...least not to my knowledge. The turn based strategy titles released a few years back were pretty good and captured the feel of the game well. The latest RTS game in development looks good and is in capable hands (Relic is making it...the company behind the beautiful Homeworld series).

Word also has it an RPG is in the works.Rumor has it that it'll used the recources spent on the now canceled Warhammer Online.

WH Online was ugly anyway.
    I actually don't really like WH, WH40K is way more appealing to me.

+ Reply to Thread