+ Reply to Thread

Thread: euloG.G.y - Gidget Gein RIP

Default euloG.G.y - Gidget Gein RIP

Gidget Gein (born, Bradley Anne Stewart) lived his life to the fullest,and touched countless people with his art, music, and multi-layered persona. He was a dear friend, and a close collaborator, who gave his all to projects but never lost his remarkable sense...
    Read the full article

Default Re: euloG.G.y - Gidget Gein RIP

What a tragic waste. Nice eulogy from Ramzi though.

and your little dog too

i really hate when creative people die young. happens too often. cool eulogy but now i'm sad.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

... *blink* Damnit.

~K

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

It sucks what happened. We had unfinished business that will remain unfinished, but now I'm over it. Heroin is a powerful drug..unfortunatly. I know personally..bleh

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

You and Gein or you and smack, This?

So what he die from?

The fact that heroin was mentioned more than once might have been a clue, Raza.

I thought the article mentioned him having been clean for a long time. I suppose that might've been past tense, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    So what he die from?

Doesn't it matter more what he did while he was alive?

Quote Originally Posted by incog
    My interests aren't restricted to things measuring highest out of their environment on some universal scale of what 'matters most'.

darkamor's Avatar Member
    U.K. (Dover) / O.C.(behind the orange curtain)

While various media outlets mentioned a drug overdose (along with the fact he was a former heroin addict), I don't think that is a fair + accurate journalistic move by the media (i.e. unless poor G.G. was found dead with a needle in his arm - and the contents of said needle were confirmed to be heroin - I'd rather lament the fact another creative person has been taken from us @ an early age vs. lets tack on a drug overdose to make this sound like a juicy article) ....

I was looking foward to seeing him collaborate more with Boyd Rice + Giddle Patridge (in the spirit of unpopart that is still possible) ....

~(^)~

More than you'd think (in terms of heroin addicts) never really stop, amor.

I'm wondering why ANYONE would do that drug. It's not like people haven't seen Trainspotting or what have you.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk

I'm wondering why ANYONE would do that drug. It's not like people haven't seen Trainspotting or what have you.
    I totally understand why people would. It's sad and tragic, but it does make sense. If you don't see the world quite like everybody else, life can be kind of unbearable and heavy drugs and alcohol can really numb a lot of that pain. It's not about 'fun' really. It's kind of more about simply not being able to really find the path you feel you belong on, or not being able to escape the mental anguish of your own existence.

Sometime great art comes out of that anguish or dissonance, but sometimes that's not enough to cure the pain.

Cause it's said to be the best feeling there is?

I mean, obviously just calling it that isn't going to leave an impression to match the words' actual significance, and many people manage to reject the temptation because of that as well as the drug's immense bad reputation. But fuck, there doesn't really exist a better reason in favor of doing anything. The reasons against better weight real damn hard - so if the life that people say you're about to throw away isn't that good on you anyway, or you (reasonably) doubt the drug's reputation because drug reputations are never an even remotely reliable source of information... well, there you are.

Personally, I've never done it, but I'm not entirely decided on whether I would. You don't get addicted - not the kind with anguishing withdrawals - from one dose, and I do like drugs, new experiences, and some first hand knowledge of things that I speak out on. I'm not afraid that I'd get dragged on by the sheer enjoyability of it so long as there's no withdrawals, as I'm very calculated in these things and not at all prone to angst. I do, however, see a risk that the pull of the memory would get stronger while on other drugs, simultaneously hurting the experience of them and leaving me inclined to take risks I otherwise wouldn't. Also, I don't think I'd want to inject it, so maybe it'd come down to whether an offer was of the snortable, powdered variety.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I totally understand why people would. It's sad and tragic, but it does make sense. If you don't see the world quite like everybody else, life can be kind of unbearable and heavy drugs and alcohol can really numb a lot of that pain. It's not about 'fun' really. It's kind of more about simply not being able to really find the path you feel you belong on, or not being able to escape the mental anguish of your own existence.
    I've never gotten this. I mean, I understand it; the way the human mind is set up it takes significance from the opinions and behaviours of others especially in lartge numbers, and this can really weight down on thoughts you have on your own supported only by your reasoning, your conviction in their rightfulness, and the confidence in your behaviour when acting on them. But the impact of others approval is, at least to me and many others that I have observed, highly relative to the degree by which you desire to identify with them - which, after years of learning how little I have in common with people, now starts out at an approximation of zero. Something like this should happen for others.

I suppose it could be compromised by many factors, like a lower overal ability for self-appreciation or a tendency to strongly differing moods - such things sustain themselves by tricking you into rationalizing them, which then puts a weight of cognitive dissonance on the ideas and beliefs you need to feel right about where you stand compared to others..

You and Gein or you and smack, This?

I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by incog

Personally, I'm fascinated by death..

darkamor's Avatar Member
    U.K. (Dover) / O.C.(behind the orange curtain)

I think Stiv Bators (R.I.P. mate, next year will be 20 years since you left us here) from LORD OF THE NEW CHURCH said it best (and yes I was there back in the day - kids) with his "this is anti heroin week, do cocaine instead, its cheaper and it won't kill you":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Whp5TvNKE

My actually point is thatI frown on our media with their reports of "drug overdose" (why not keep things confidential out of respect to a person's family and let them decide if they want to reveal the "cause of death" and/or if it is drug related let the family decide to send a better message than Nancy Reagan telling you to "just say no"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fG1tNO0_Pk

~(^)~

p.s.

there are numerous people from the various west coast scenes who have died over the decades (not all of them were drug related, but I still miss each of them)

mr_d's Avatar rock star/internet geek
    everywhere and anywhere. I was a nomad till I was old enough to live on my own. I now consider Denver to be my hometown even thought I'm a New Yorker now.

Holy shit...what a tragic loss.

+ Reply to Thread