+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are ray gun vibrators steampunk?

Default Are ray gun vibrators steampunk?

Are ray gun vibrators steampunk? This is the sort of question I lie awake at night contemplating.

Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction/fantasy/speculative fiction, which builds on the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne. Now H. G. Wells and Jules Verne were both geniuses and can be forgiven for imagining future technology as based on 19th century inventions and future values as growing out of a Victorian sensibility. They both came of age in the 1800’s, so they’d have a reason for this.

Personally I love the steampunk aesthetic. It’s, ya know, really really pretty. When I see all that broken or antique clockwork and gears, though, I admit I think Salvador Dali or William Faulkner. I think of the poetry of broken or past time, the ephemeral nature of humanity’s existence. I don’t think that I wish I were born in a time when American women could not vote and men were supposed to sexually overload at the sight of a table leg without a skirt on it.

Blue Blood readers will be familiar with the lovely Nicotine, who portrays Lady Clankington, as part of the tongue-in-cheek history of the little death ray sex toy rayguns line designed by “mad Dr. Visbaun”. Lady Clankington always wears steampunk couture garments from Brute Force Studios. The mad scientist behind...
    Read the full article

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Are ray gun vibrators steampunk?

honestly, i always felt a tab uncomfortable when it comes to sexuality in terms of anything steampunk. its like this big taboo that can't even be mentioned; or that it has absolutely no place there. sure, in the cultures from which steampunk evolved, sexuality was supposed to the point of nonexistance - but need those involved with it today continue doing so? it is obvious that people from those eras were still having sex etc, just that it was being done so privately that it was treated as if they were not. i guess what im saying is that our modern views of bringing sexual matters into the eyes of the public, or at the very least, from behind closed bedroom doors, and writing about it, or just ackowledging its existance is at odds in many ways with how it was back then. yet that doesnt mean we cant bring a steampunk influence into the bedroom. we just need to be careful and more subtle about how we do it.

im not sure if a ray gun vibrator would be as titillating as another sort of mechanical pleasure-inducing gizmo. im thinking something along the lines of an erotic electro stimulation such as those made by P.E.S. only with antiqued brass looking knobs and visable clockwork gears. the ray gun just looks too modern for what i consider steampunk.

I have no idea, but check out these sites...

Such a cool event, but I don't live in Detroit anymore! Everything cool happened after I left... Maybe a sign?

http://www.worldsteamexpo.com/

also

http://bethalynnebajema.com/sepiastains/?page_id=167

She has been consistently producing some great art since who knows when...

Quote Originally Posted by aXa View Post
    honestly, i always felt a tab uncomfortable when it comes to sexuality in terms of anything steampunk. its like this big taboo that can't even be mentioned; or that it has absolutely no place there. sure, in the cultures from which steampunk evolved, sexuality was supposed to the point of nonexistance - but need those involved with it today continue doing so? it is obvious that people from those eras were still having sex etc, just that it was being done so privately that it was treated as if they were not. i guess what im saying is that our modern views of bringing sexual matters into the eyes of the public, or at the very least, from behind closed bedroom doors, and writing about it, or just ackowledging its existance is at odds in many ways with how it was back then. yet that doesnt mean we cant bring a steampunk influence into the bedroom. we just need to be careful and more subtle about how we do it.

im not sure if a ray gun vibrator would be as titillating as another sort of mechanical pleasure-inducing gizmo. im thinking something along the lines of an erotic electro stimulation such as those made by P.E.S. only with antiqued brass looking knobs and visable clockwork gears. the ray gun just looks too modern for what i consider steampunk.
    Contrary to popular belief, Victorian men and women were extremely kinky and sexual. They just didn't always discuss it in public, so as to avoid accidentally embarrassing someone (it was considered rather gauche).

The first electric vibrator was invented in 1880 to combat female hysteria because doctors were tired of servicing female patients with their hands. Women throughout Europe and Asia were already becoming extremely proficient with strap-on dildos throughout the 19th Century. Prostitutes serviced men publicly on the streets of London. Erotic literature was very popular amongst all social classes. To say that the Victorians were sexually repressed is ridiculous.

The reason why we didn't put gears on the rayguns is because some people like to use their vibrators for insertion. Can you imagine sticking a sex toy full of cogs inside you? Ouch!

5. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Nicotine For This Useful Post:

BiggTruxx (09-12-2010)
    ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

It almost stylistically matches the space girl's raygun on http://eroticfandom.com/

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Only if they are powered by a Tesla Coil!

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

I actually think the whole steampunk genre is sadly lacking in erotic aspects.

When I see people all dressed up in their steampunk finery,
    the general attitude I tend to absorb is people trying to act
    excessively serious. It's tongue in cheek, but that level of
    seriousness is counterproductive to eroticism. Although
    I suppose I would say the same thing about people
    who take their vampire roleplaying very seriously.
    And they seem to be perfectly capable of injecting
    a decent amount of sexuality into their scene...

Anyhow, I don't have a problem with the idea,
    and in general, I think the whole steampunk craze needs
    and injection of fresh creativity, otherwise it will fade out before
    it really takes off. Mainly because it seems like people locked
    down the look already. Gears and goggles. That's kind of limiting.
    So hopefully stuff like this will help people realize they can do
    more stuff with the genre, and not just stand around wearing
    brass goggles and looking serious...

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

+ Reply to Thread