+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What are the top ten scariest movies or TV shows you have ever seen?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default What are the top ten scariest movies or TV shows you have ever seen?

What are the top ten scariest movies or TV shows you have ever seen?

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: What are the top ten scariest movies or TV shows you have ever seen?

Bar none the scariest TV show I've ever seen is the Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson variety show.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

Default Re: What are the top ten scariest movies or TV shows you have ever seen?

i have only ever been scared by one film. ever.

its quite embarrassing but in the vein of wreckie transparency, it was ghost busters, the scene where a ghost screams out of a subway entrance. i was 4 and came downstairs just in time to see that, and turn-tailed and ran back into bed to hide.

'twas the only night aside from the night i first got drunk that i wasn't back and forth all night

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Nothing I can remember actually scared me (I lived through the first years of home video, so was often found watching Driller Killer over breakfast) - but I love the psychology of a good script so I'll get geekily-enthusiastic over some split-second camera angle or throwaway line in the dialog.

'Top ten' means having to think and sort lists, and I only woke up an hour ago, so you can have one of each.

The Descent - for the window scene, and the number of candles. The very fact LG had to re-work the ending for confused US audiences made it a classic of it's time.

The Steve Moffat episodes of Dr Who (of which there's one playing this week in the UK). Family entertainment at 7pm which is crafted specifically to scare the living squirrels out of every child under 25. Kids have been put in therapy after watching it. These days it's so rare for TV to take a risk over content in order to deliver quality.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    Nothing I can remember actually scared me (I lived through the first years of home video, so was often found watching Driller Killer over breakfast) - but I love the psychology of a good script so I'll get geekily-enthusiastic over some split-second camera angle or throwaway line in the dialog.

'Top ten' means having to think and sort lists, and I only woke up an hour ago, so you can have one of each.

The Descent - for the window scene, and the number of candles. The very fact LG had to re-work the ending for confused US audiences made it a classic of it's time.

The Steve Moffat episodes of Dr Who (of which there's one playing this week in the UK). Family entertainment at 7pm which is crafted specifically to scare the living squirrels out of every child under 25. Kids have been put in therapy after watching it. These days it's so rare for TV to take a risk over content in order to deliver quality.
    Which ones are the Steve Moffat episodes? How would one know?

Says "Directed by Steve Moffat".

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0595590/

A list of what he wrote and directed.

*bows*

Hmmm, let's see here.

Saw all of these when I was a kid like under 9

Alien- First time I saw that was on the late night show with "The Night Owl" yep, scared the crap out of me.

Videodrome- bad bad bad juju, that hand coming out of the tv. I'd get freaked out when my home tv cut to static. yep, the idea that tv could get inside my head, and pervert reality didn't seem all that far fetched back then. Things coming out of the tv too... bad juju.

Horror Planet aka Inseminoid- for some damn reason this movie was slightly disturbing to me as well. The part I seem to remember was that this woman had been given the alien preggers, and was some how controlling some of her crewmates to hunt, and kill all of the others... Another "Night Owl" winner.

Halloween- the first one, but just the scenes from mike meyer's childhood where he first kills. the rest bored me.

and yeah, when I was like 4 some of the Tom Baker Dr.Who episodes freaked me out. They came on right after sesame street. Particularly one called "The Hand of Fear" I think, where sarah jane gets psychically possessed by a stone being from another planet. Gave me nightmares for weeks. I'd watch sesame street, and right afterwards when Dr.Who'd come on, I'd run screeming from the room unable to turn off the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Which ones are the Steve Moffat episodes? How would one know?
    Apart from the obvious (thanks BP!), his script signature is to take a childhood nightmare or something commonplace in society and twist it very slightly - a monster is scariest when you can't see it's there - plus he can't resist killing central characters as the credits roll. He's taking over from RTD as exec producer so there should be more depth to things when the new series airs in 2009.

The latest episode (Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead) uses fear of the dark to catch most people, but for some the words "ice cream" will linger for days. Try reading this through the eyes of a 10-year-old:

Dr: "..almost every species in the universe has an irrational fear of the dark, but they're wrong - because it's not irrational. It's Vashta Narada"
    Donna: "What's Vashta Narada?"
    Dr: "It's what's in the dark. It's what's always in the dark."
    Dr: "It's not a shadow. It's a swarm. A man-eating swarm. The piranhas of the air."
    Dr: "Where there's meat, there's Vashta Narada. You can see them sometimes if you look - the dust in sunbeams."

ELDRAD MUST LIVE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4HhXEuQ3Sc

I'd have banged Liz Sladen nine ways to Sunday then if I'd been old enough, and I still would, now.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I first saw the first Halloween film when I was about 8, so for a long time didn't like seeing anyone on the upstairs landing.

At the age of 11, I saw the first few minutes of Zombie Flesheaters and that probably spawned my dislike of Zombie films.

I do like John Carpenter's The Thing, some very tense scenes in there.

Some of recnt movies was White Noise.

Not to forget Alien when I was young.

Moffatt is this generation's Phillip Hinchcliffe.

Is that old bat Mary Whitehouse still kicking around>?

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

i remember, 10 years old, watching event horizon alone at midnight... got creeped the fuck right out when they have just entered the ship and find blood, then the lightsd flicker and you see that the walls are coated with like a foot thick of gore... i still have problems seeing eye trauma, and i think my interest in space travel and the latin language were both sparked simultaneously.

other than that though ive never been scared or even really creeped by any movie. a couple of episodes of masters of horror (primarily cigarette burns) send a little shiver down my spine from time to time, and i die a little on the inside any time i see anyone have anything happen to their eyes. which is irritatingly common in horror and gore flicks these days

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    Is that old bat Mary Whitehouse still kicking around>?
    Died in 2001 - which was fortunate as if she'd have been alive now, Celebrity Love Island would've killed her.

Quote Originally Posted by evilstonermonkey
    i die a little on the inside any time i see anyone have anything happen to their eyes
    I guess you're not to partial to Clockwork Orange then...

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I know its a good Horror movie when its something where I could never even imagine being put into that particular situation.

I really like Horror movies with really creepy monsters/aliens/creatures, cause they scare me. So, I guess more Sc-Fi. Like Alien or Pumpkinhead and such, if I was ever faced with one of those creatures, I'd totally flip out.

Serial killers don't scare me at all, I think if I was faced in one of those lunatic killers I could handle my own, I think I could be just as crazy as some of them, if I needed to be. But I do think in some of those type of Horror movies, they have pretty awesome and unique ways of killing people.

It's really hard for me to make a list though.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

dude, I'm lame. I don't like scary movies.... does cloverfield count as a scary movie? I thought that was good. It was at least entertaining.

I'm a fantasy/anime nerd.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Mary Whitehouse would have been dead from any "reality show" be it Love Island, Big Brother, Survivor...
    She would have had about 17 heart attacks a week at some of the stuff that gets on tv/cinema screens now.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

My mom took me to see E.T. when it first came out. I think I was more scared FOR the poor little bugger but I definitely remember being afraid. (Give me a break ok, I was like...5?)
    1408 didn't so much scare me as it freaked me out. Reminds me of being on acid and that is NOT fun. Anymore..

tatum radcliffe's Avatar Senior Member

I've seen two movies that scared the living hell out of me.

One was a 1930s flick about zombies on an island and the cook actually cooking dead people and stuff like that. I was like, 10, at the time and living in a decripit 200 year old farmhouse.

The other... Don't laugh at me.... Event Horizion. I don't know why it creeped me the fuck out, but it did. Saw it recently and had to laugh at myself.

Creepshow's Avatar i'll skin you alive.

-ET
    -signs
    -childs play

i only have three.
    ha ha.
    no explinations offered.

ii die a little on the inside any time i see anyone have anything happen to their eyes. which is irritatingly common in horror and gore flicks these days

hostel with the eye was pretty fucked up.
    that was sick.
    if you havent seen that, you probably don want to.
    laser+eye=not pretty.
    BLECH*shivers*

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

seen it. strangely the eye stuff in hostel didnt bug me.

seen it. strangely the eye stuff in hostel didnt bug me.
    wow.
    that shit dont usually bug me but EHHHHH that just got to me. i kept seeing when her eye like, pussed.

eww.

to each their own, i guess. lol

+ Reply to Thread