+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you handle it when someone won't take a hint?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default How do you handle it when someone won't take a hint?

How do you handle it when someone won't take a hint? Like, if you say something gently to politely give someone a message, but they just keep hammering away with whatever they are doing or saying, what do you do? Do you just keep repeating yourself gently and politely and hope the repetition gets through? Do you state things more strongly? Do you ask others to help you get your point across? Do you just give up on anyone who can't get their head around a gentle hint? Or do you just tear out all your hair?

I've felt like a broken record on some stuff lately and I've been opting for, after a certain number of repetitions, either stating my point more strongly or giving up on it. How about you all?

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: How do you handle it when someone won't take a hint?

Well, some people just don't get hints. I sure as hell don't.

I'd say it depends on whether or not the person heard you, understood you and is ignoring you (which is disrespectful and that's when the pimpslap hand comes out) or the clue train hasn't pulled into the station, in which case maybe a more direct comment, to one side, would be appropriate.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    How do you handle it when someone won't take a hint? Like, if you say something gently to politely give someone a message, but they just keep hammering away with whatever they are doing or saying, what do you do? Do you just keep repeating yourself gently and politely and hope the repetition gets through? Do you state things more strongly? Do you ask others to help you get your point across? Do you just give up on anyone who can't get their head around a gentle hint? Or do you just tear out all your hair?

I've felt like a broken record on some stuff lately and I've been opting for, after a certain number of repetitions, either stating my point more strongly or giving up on it. How about you all?
    I like it straight up. I just say it. I think this midwest passivity silliness has led me to avoid anything in between. I won't be winning any Casanova points around here. At the same time, I don't find much worth quarreling over. This can have the same result if someone else is festering inside.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I suppose it depends on how much the situation really matters in the long run

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

If you want a particular outcome, then just slap them into accepting it. If the person is intelligent enough to see your reasons it won't change their relationship with you but may change their future actions. If they're not, you've filtered out someone who shouldn't have been there anyway.

If you don't care, don't waste effort deciding if you're wrong to. You're not.

I'm not keen on taking a hint... I'd prefer someone to just be outright and tell me...
    I try to do the same... in that regards...

I just dont catch hints....

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    I like it straight up. I just say it. I think this midwest passivity silliness has led me to avoid anything in between. I won't be winning any Casanova points around here. At the same time, I don't find much worth quarreling over. This can have the same result if someone else is festering inside.
    I really like that statement.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

4 people on my team i ge t on with well. thier blunt. i like blunt. other people in the community however dont seem to appreciate this

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    If you want a particular outcome, then just slap them into accepting it. If the person is intelligent enough to see your reasons it won't change their relationship with you but may change their future actions. If they're not, you've filtered out someone who shouldn't have been there anyway.

If you don't care, don't waste effort deciding if you're wrong to. You're not.
    wise words.

Bedlamite

I always try subtle first...

Failing that, I make myself perfectly crystal clear...

If that is ignored, I'll get razor sharp with lovely attention getting wording.

Then, its time to weigh th importance of the issue. Is it worth taking action on? Is it wort running an argument around in circles? What is my level of power over the situation? Is the person worth all that emotional effort? Do I just need to cut them out?

Its all situational. I'm the type that if someone has cross lines, and has been warned politely and impolitely and persists regardless, then I will take swift action. It seems unfair and merciless sometimes, but I'd do what you feel like needs to get done.

WA, that is very thoughtful.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

You say," Hey, what the fuck's wrong with you? Can't you take a hint?'

masochistic-4ngel's Avatar Member
    leeds in good ol' england(home of the goths yaaayy)

tell them to fuck off..keep it simple i always say

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

I try to stay with my southern graces, the first hint
    After that, I am more or less blunt edge of mace.... On the line and to the point!
    1.) What do you want? No! enough, go....
    2.) look you squarely headed bastard enough! *point my finger at them to* and I am very loud

With Women, I try to stay alot more with my southern graces just the way that I am. Kit gloves in all....

+ Reply to Thread