+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Euro 2008

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Euro 2008

Anyone watching?

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Default Re: Euro 2008

Why would I? It's football! It has no bearing on my life.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    Anyone watching?
    I have the fox soccer channel now. Watch futbol sometimes. My teams (Ukraine and Scotland) both choked this year. I don't really care who wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    Why would I? It's football! It has no bearing on my life.
    yeah, you didn't miss much, considering that no UK teams are playing.

I don't really care much for the turnout either. I think a lot of people feel the same way. I guess if you are a fan of a European team that hasn't placed in the World Cup for awhile and is represented here, that might really be the only thing to look forward to.

I'm leaning towards France or Portugal for the win.The only thing I am really want to see is a rematch between Germany and Italy after WC 06.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

yeah, you didn't miss much, considering that no UK teams are playing.

I don't really care much for the turnout either. I think a lot of people feel the same way. I guess if you are a fan of a European team that hasn't placed in the World Cup for awhile and is represented here, that might really be the only thing to look forward to.

I'm leaning towards France or Portugal for the win.The only thing I am really want to see is a rematch between Germany and Italy after WC 06.
    THAT was a fantastic game! I'm Italian soo...yay us

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Can't stand the bloody game. 22 men running around in their underwear, hugging and kissing. Not what I would call entertainment.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

20 guys chasing after a bag of wind. overpaid, arogent tosser re: 90%

Update:

The quarter final goes to Portugal, Croatia the underdog, Turkey, Germany makes it through, what a relief, Powerhouse Netherlands, Spain, and for you Mystoo, Italy is still alive. Groupd D is still up for grabs, it's down to Russia and Sweden.

not me. ... plz excuse

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

Britannia Or Germania those my choice.....

Update:

The quarter final goes to Portugal, Croatia the underdog, Turkey, Germany makes it through, what a relief, Powerhouse Netherlands, Spain, and for you Mystoo, Italy is still alive. Groupd D is still up for grabs, it's down to Russia and Sweden.
    That's pretty amazing Russia made it so far. They didn't even make the World Cup finals. I'd almost root for them, but it is a national team so ... can't do it.

OEC

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    That's pretty amazing Russia made it so far.

OEC
    Well not really. Their only big accomplishment was qualifying for the tournament in the first place.

The first round is a group stage with four teams playing against each other and two of them advancing into the second round, quarter final.

So each team has a one in three chance of making it through. If one team won all of thier games to get the first place spot, depending on the outcomes of the other two teams, the minimum that a team would have to do would be one win and one draw to get the runner up position. No exactly an outstanding feat.

As it turns out Spain won their first two games, Greece lost both, and they play each other for the third today. Russia and Sweden both have one win and one loss, so whoever wins the next game is the one that goes through.

Since a draw in that game would mean no advance, I assume that it would go to the standard sudden-death best out of, I believe it is three, free kicks for each team to decide a winner.

sickybuaaaaa's Avatar Mistress of asskickery

Anyone watching?
    Football enthusiasts, yay. No offence meant, but I have yet to meet in person one that is not a jocky douche. Plus, I can't think of a more boring thing to watch than a football game.

I guess you've never seen a golf game then.

believe it or not I am not a "jocky douchebag". I like comic books, horror movies and old school punk rock.

I can understand why you feel that way, but Association Football, or Soccer, as it commonly called, is not very popular in America. So it's often people that are not into the mainstream culture that follow it here.

It is the world's most popular game, and since we have many international and in particular European members on this board, I figured that there might be some people that were interested.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Quote Originally Posted by sickybuaaaaa
    Football enthusiasts, yay. No offence meant, but I have yet to meet in person one that is not a jocky douche. Plus, I can't think of a more boring thing to watch than a football game.
    Just a minute now, I'm not a jocky douche.

Though I have been known to drunkenly slurr out "wahey.... tits". Just not when any women are present.

Heh, I wasn't trying to imply all of you are jocky douches. It's just that football does nothing for me. But you're right, I'd probably have even less fun watching golf. Or the christian channel <--- that horrible very

Soccer might be an 'alternative' entertainment in the States, but here soccer fans are downright awful. We have a pretty strong soccer fans' club in the nearby city, whose main pleasure is getting drunk, destroying everything(everyone) in sight and putting grafitti on every semi-appropriate surface. So you can see, I kind of have a natural aversion to football.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    Just a minute now, I'm not a jocky douche.

Though I have been known to drunkenly slurr out "wahey.... tits". Just not when any women are present.

Heh. I have a few friends who can do a lot worse than that. It's sure better than drunken groping, which is something I do.

Quote Originally Posted by sickybuaaaaa
    Heh, I wasn't trying to imply all of you are jocky douches. It's just that football does nothing for me. But you're right, I'd probably have even less fun watching golf. Or the christian channel <--- that horrible very

Soccer might be an 'alternative' entertainment in the States, but here soccer fans are downright awful. We have a pretty strong soccer fans' club in the nearby city, whose main pleasure is getting drunk, destroying everything(everyone) in sight and putting grafitti on every semi-appropriate surface. So you can see, I kind of have a natural aversion to football.
    I can understand it from your view. We both know what Red Star Beograd fans have done over the years. For me, it's just a game. The countries I follow are pretty mellow. I played through high school. I know how some of the fans over there are though.

OEC

Well not really. Their only big accomplishment was qualifying for the tournament in the first place.

The first round is a group stage with four teams playing against each other and two of them advancing into the second round, quarter final.

So each team has a one in three chance of making it through. If one team won all of thier games to get the first place spot, depending on the outcomes of the other two teams, the minimum that a team would have to do would be one win and one draw to get the runner up position. No exactly an outstanding feat.

As it turns out Spain won their first two games, Greece lost both, and they play each other for the third today. Russia and Sweden both have one win and one loss, so whoever wins the next game is the one that goes through.

Since a draw in that game would mean no advance, I assume that it would go to the standard sudden-death best out of, I believe it is three, free kicks for each team to decide a winner.
    It's always fun when it comes down to free kicks. I can't say I really have a dog in that fight though. I enjoy UEFA Champion's Cup as much as the Euro Championships.

OEC

+ Reply to Thread