+ Reply to Thread

Thread: M. Night's Shit Happens

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default M. Night's Shit Happens

a better title than "the happening". basically same thing.

If you don't know, this is the new movie by the contraversial director of Signs and the Sixth Sense about a group of people trying to cope with a phenominon that is causing mass suicides.

The trailer had me interested. I wondered if it was inspired by the movie Suicide Club. I read a review that didn't say the ending (It's a twist!), but said the premise which pretty much gave it away, IMO. I'm not going to say anything else about the plot....

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this movie?

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Default Re: M. Night's Shit Happens

I haven't seen it yet, but I really like his movies.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't think it comes out till friday. But I guess maybe there was a sneak peek or something.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

saw it today. the trailers were intrigueing, and so was the first, oh, 20-30 minutes of the film. starts of creepy, mysterious, interesting. then they tell you the answer, and the next hour is spent running from nothing. pretty much literally.

oh, and theres a crazy lady.

reminded me a lot of the movie 'The Village' where it starts off with mysterious monsters terrorising a strange village. then you find out the monsters arent real. and then youre expected to spend the next hour being scared of the monsters that it has told you dont exist.

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

Quote Originally Posted by evilstonermonkey
    reminded me a lot of the movie 'The Village' where it starts off with mysterious monsters terrorising a strange village. then you find out the monsters arent real. and then youre expected to spend the next hour being scared of the monsters that it has told you dont exist.
    i didnt like the village all the much...i did like signs and sixth sense, though.. i probably wont see the happening..

Tigerlily's Avatar Bang Bang Kiss Die

The only movie that I have been semi into that he has done was Unbreakable, just because it was more of a hero type story than him trying to do something "different"
    But yeah, I'll probably dlnd this one and call it a day.

Ace's Avatar Senior Member

His films are pretty formulaic...the big twist followed by the flashback sequence in which everything you thought was nothing turns out to be an integral part of the plot, yadda yadda yadda.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

the trailer looked good, but now that I know who made it I'll wait till I can get it at the library probably.

the sixth sense was good...........the others were disappointing

I was disappointed by this movie. As has been said above, they tell you what's causing the carnage pretty early and never make much of an attempt to surprise you. Seeing people off themselves is disturbing and a little heart-rending at first, then loses the majority of its impact. It feels like bad things are happening just for the sake of character-torture.

The things that I liked about the movie, on the other hand, I liked very much -- the cinematography, which was successfully claustrophic and moody at the right times, and Mark Whalberg's character, who had a great lots-going-on-under-the-surface vibe.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Everything he's done since Sixth Sense has been terrible IMO. I didn't even bother watching Lady in the Water and I don't intend to see the Happening based just on the reviews of my friends who's opinions I trust.

+ Reply to Thread