+ Reply to Thread

Thread: to punk or not to punk...

masochistic-4ngel's Avatar Member
    leeds in good ol' england(home of the goths yaaayy)

Default to punk or not to punk...

ok..i realy want short spikey pink hair..but i'm scared of the color washing out too fast any advice people of extreme-hair-land??

Murk1's Avatar Junior Member

Default Re: to punk or not to punk...

ya, thats why I don't die my hair anymore, too busy for the constant upkeep, there is no way around it, kewl freeky colors just wash out fast. Pain in the ass, but so much fun....

Tigerlily's Avatar Bang Bang Kiss Die

Quote Originally Posted by Murk1
    ya, thats why I don't die my hair anymore, too busy for the constant upkeep, there is no way around it, kewl freeky colors just wash out fast. Pain in the ass, but so much fun....
    agreed, but it does seem to help if your hair is a light colour to begin with. I've noticed that colours seem to come out brighter and the colour doesnt dull as quickly.

use manic-panic and buy special shampoos that are made for color treated hair?

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

and post pictures!

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I'm thinking about dying my hair back to red. If you do yours I'll do mine k?!

ok mystoo u got a deal.!!! i'm doing mine tomorow

Sweet! I'm on it this weekend!

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Don't shampoo it too often and wait to wash it out quite a few days after you first dye it (after the first initail rinse that is), if you can handle it, try to use colder water when you rinse your hair.

I try to keep up with dying my hair, but right now its REALLY faded purple/blondish/greyish, not very cute at all.

I cant speak from personal experience... BUT WHAT I'VE HEARD... Beyond the Zone Color Jamz is the best

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I just let it fade without concern and freshen up from time to time, when I am feeling energetic and have a few hours.

It does help to heat-set the dye. Some people I know swear by putting salt in it, but I've never been motivated to try that.

Janiac02's Avatar Opera Diva Extraordinaire

I've found that bleaching your hair is a good idea to get the color to stay, because your hair will absorb it better, but if you don't have thick, coarse hair you are likely to get some severe damage. Manic panic faded the fastest for me, but all colors will fade quickly. Just enjoy it while it lasts, and move on to the next color when you're bored. Man, I miss having the freedom to do whatever I want with my hair and face. Damn work...

Janiac, its only a semipermanent ... thats prolly why it fades quick...

I've got SUPER fine hair.... not like fine awesome, but fine, being the small hair size per size.

NOTHING penetrates my hair shaft but JUST FOR MEN beard dye...seriously...

I've tried to dye my hair lovely colors, bleaching first, just to have it fry with the first application.... SO I'm stuck with the natural shade...

I guess thats kewl in its own way, but I'd LOVE to have an option.

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos
    Janiac, its only a semipermanent ... thats prolly why it fades quick...

I've got SUPER fine hair.... not like fine awesome, but fine, being the small hair size per size.

NOTHING penetrates my hair shaft but JUST FOR MEN beard dye...seriously...

I've tried to dye my hair lovely colors, bleaching first, just to have it fry with the first application.... SO I'm stuck with the natural shade...

I guess thats kewl in its own way, but I'd LOVE to have an option.
    Is there a company that makes a permanent dye in funky colors? I've never been able to find one. The best I used was this green dye made by clairol, but they didn't have much to choose from in colors, and I believe it was also semi permanent. Faded to a pretty color too.
    That's too bad that you aren't able to get anything to work on your hair. Have you tried going to a salon? Even if you opt not to have them do it, they might have helpful hints.

I have actually, they were puzzled and clueless, while having to dye my hair ...IN COLOR several times.. before they could make it penetrate my hair ....

I'd LOVE to know if you find a PERMANENT... because that would just rawk...

If I do find one, I will be sure to let you know about it

hi y'all hairs all done it looks amazing too..i'm realy happy with how it's turned out

pics to come soon =]

Quote Originally Posted by masochistic-4ngel
    hi y'all hairs all done it looks amazing too..i'm realy happy with how it's turned out

pics to come soon =]
    Awesome, I'm glad you like it! Can't wait to see

OK professional hairdresser chime in time:

Pink is a funky color to try and do, I know because I do Tassie Pink of Blue Blood fame's hair. No matter how light your hair is your still going to want to bleach it, preferably have a professional do it. If you insist on doing it yourself try to get your hands on Redken's Up to 7, or Loreal's Platine Precision, both are reasonably gentile and go on well. Use 20 volume developer and reapply developer until desired lightness (as close to white as you can get it) is achieved. It also helps if you put foil over the hair as you bleach it and then put on a shower cap and sit under a dryer. Bleach stops working when it drys out and heat helps the activate it.

To get a true vibrant pink you'll want Special FX Atomic Pink and Cupcake pink in approx a 25/75 % blend. Cupcake pink is the Very Pink pink but it fades pretty quickly, adding the Atomic Pink gives it some more life.

To smooth the hairshaft back to near pre-bleach conditions a deep condition using Enjoy's Hair Mask and Intensive reconstrution spray will help smooth the cuticle locking in more of those color molocules and help the hair not feel so blown out.

Next, only wash your hair once every three days or as required. Go out and drop the change on Pureology's Nanoworks Color Therapy shampoo and conditioner. They're expensive but totaly worth it, and it'll last a lot longer than you think. You can also get a color booster shampoo. Several brands have red infused shampoos that will add a little tint and longevity. Paul Mitchell, Bumble and Bumble, and Big Sexy are all brands I'd recomend. You can also mix a little bit of the color into your shampoos which has a slight prolonging effect.

This blend of pink generaly lasts about 2 months, and after the initial application can just be smootzed on in the shower like you're shampooing, just make sure to wear gloves.

Once every three months you will want to touch up the roots with bleach, and then recolor.

If there's any staining a company called Tweezerman makes a great color remover called Primatint. I suggest anyone who does alot of hair coloring get a bottle.

Or you could come to SD or LA and I'd do it for you for a hundred bucks.

Again sorry for the double post.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos
    I have actually, they were puzzled and clueless, while having to dye my hair ...IN COLOR several times.. before they could make it penetrate my hair ....
    You're either some sort of freakish mutant without a cuticle or you were going to see the wrong people. Some hair types are resistant to aniline derivative dyes which can be worked around with proper formulation. Optionaly you can try demipermanents like Redken's Color Gels or Paul Mitchell's PM Shines both of which I always get amazing results with. Demipermanents of this nature bond with the hair in a different way than aniline derivative (common professional dyes) and metallic salt dyes (over the counter crap like Biolage and lorial). Just for men is a vegetable dye (like henna, which is actually really bad for your hair) with metallic salts blended in which makes it attach to the salt bonds in your hair in a unique way. Unfortunately that bond remains chemically reactive and will fuck up anything else you try to do to it afterwards.

s there a company that makes a permanent dye in funky colors? I've never been able to find one.
    There isn't and there isn't likely to be any time soon unless I get some investors. There are science reasons why these don't exist which I can explain if you're interested. This is actually a pet project of mine that I hope to someday bring to market.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Awesome
    OK professional hairdresser chime in time:

Pink is a funky color to try and do, I know because I do Tassie Pink of Blue Blood fame's hair. No matter how light your hair is your still going to want to bleach it, preferably have a professional do it. If you insist on doing it yourself try to get your hands on Redken's Up to 7, or Loreal's Platine Precision, both are reasonably gentile and go on well. Use 20 volume developer and reapply developer until desired lightness (as close to white as you can get it) is achieved. It also helps if you put foil over the hair as you bleach it and then put on a shower cap and sit under a dryer. Bleach stops working when it drys out and heat helps the activate it.

To get a true vibrant pink you'll want Special FX Atomic Pink and Cupcake pink in approx a 25/75 % blend. Cupcake pink is the Very Pink pink but it fades pretty quickly, adding the Atomic Pink gives it some more life.

To smooth the hairshaft back to near pre-bleach conditions a deep condition using Enjoy's Hair Mask and Intensive reconstrution spray will help smooth the cuticle locking in more of those color molocules and help the hair not feel so blown out.

Next, only wash your hair once every three days or as required. Go out and drop the change on Pureology's Nanoworks Color Therapy shampoo and conditioner. They're expensive but totaly worth it, and it'll last a lot longer than you think. You can also get a color booster shampoo. Several brands have red infused shampoos that will add a little tint and longevity. Paul Mitchell, Bumble and Bumble, and Big Sexy are all brands I'd recomend. You can also mix a little bit of the color into your shampoos which has a slight prolonging effect.

This blend of pink generaly lasts about 2 months, and after the initial application can just be smootzed on in the shower like you're shampooing, just make sure to wear gloves.

Once every three months you will want to touch up the roots with bleach, and then recolor.

If there's any staining a company called Tweezerman makes a great color remover called Primatint. I suggest anyone who does alot of hair coloring get a bottle.

Or you could come to SD or LA and I'd do it for you for a hundred bucks.

Yay Joel!

There isn't and there isn't likely to be any time soon unless I get some investors. There are science reasons why these don't exist which I can explain if you're interested. This is actually a pet project of mine that I hope to someday bring to market.
    I would be interested, if you'd like to take the time to explain. I'm very curious. Too bad I'm broke. It'd be a good project to invest in.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Again sorry for the double post.

You're either some sort of freakish mutant without a cuticle or you were going to see the wrong people. Some hair types are resistant to aniline derivative dyes which can be worked around with proper formulation. Optionaly you can try demipermanents like Redken's Color Gels or Paul Mitchell's PM Shines both of which I always get amazing results with. Demipermanents of this nature bond with the hair in a different way than aniline derivative (common professional dyes) and metallic salt dyes (over the counter crap like Biolage and lorial). Just for men is a vegetable dye (like henna, which is actually really bad for your hair) with metallic salts blended in which makes it attach to the salt bonds in your hair in a unique way. Unfortunately that bond remains chemically reactive and will fuck up anything else you try to do to it afterwards.

I'm interested, Joel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    I'm interested, Joel.
    Here's the short answer.

Exotic hair colors such as True Red, Yellow, Blue, Purple (but not indigo strangely), several shades of green, and most of the near tones to these colors have a comparatively complex chemical structure giving them a high molecular mass (Mm) which unfortunately cannot be truncated in a way that would retain the orriginal light diffusion properties after re-oxidation.
    Most permanent hair dyes are a combination of three primary chemcials; para-phenylenediamine, hydrogen-peroxide, and amonia, and tertiary chemicals such as conditioning polymers, metalic salts (mordants),and a vehicle which is normaly either an aquious solution, a gel, or a cream. The para-phenylenediamine is an analin derivitive that is capable of producing Yellow-Orange-Brown-Black shades in a wide range of tints and colors, occasionaly incorporating Indophenols which develop into an indigo color allowing for colors like Blue Black and Red-Violet.
    Some of these hair colors (esp. the shitty over the counter ones) use mordanting salts to help set the dye and force a chemical bond. Mordants include tannic acid, alum, chrome alum, sodium chloride, and certain salts of aluminum, chromium, copper, iron, iodine, potassium, sodium, and tin almost all of which produce unpredictable results during later treatments (one of the reasons dyed hair lifts orange).
    The amonia is used to raise the Ph of the hair which causes the cuticle, a semitransparent buffer which can be thought of like the scales on a snake, to soften and lift, allowing the vehicle to carry the small para-phenylenediamine molecules into the cortex, the Peroxide then breaks down the existing melanin in the cortex which causes the shade to lift (which is why lower volume peroxide means less lift more deposit) and bonds with the para-phenylenediamine which completes the chemical structure needed to reflect light in the Yellow-Orange-Brown-Black range. After the dye deposits in the cortex and oxidizes it is too large to fall back out of the cuticle, and once the Ph of the hair is normalized through shampooing the shade is permanently changed untill light, shampooing, mechanical damage, and chemical half life cause the dye to break down and fade.

Exotic colors do not have a handy molecule that is small enough to penatrate the cuticle even after it has been swelled by the amonia and the delicate shades are destroyed by peroxide and so therefore must be used as a stain usualy with some sort of exotic polymer to improve the temporary bonding. The better temporary stains have vehicles that make them ionicaly promiscuous only to the specific type of salt/hydrogen bonds that make up the cuticle and so therefore last longer, they also tend to contain what functionaly amounts to sunscreens filtering out the wavelenghts of light which cause the color molecules to break down.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Hey Joel, is there any over the counter dye (of the more "natural" colors) you do recommend if someone can't get to the salon?

Quote Originally Posted by SyntheticShock
    Hey Joel, is there any over the counter dye (of the more "natural" colors) you do recommend if someone can't get to the salon?

I was always a fan of the Loreal Torrids series, which features colors which are sort of borderline freaky. Like you could have most of the them in an office and only be moderately inappropriate, but they still look pretty cool, and they are way more permanent than stuff like Punky Color or Manic Panic. I find Naturcolor (a health food store brand without ammonia) easier on the skin, but the colors are less entertaining.

Joel probably has a far more informed set of thoughts on this than I do, but that's my two cents on what I like.

Quote Originally Posted by SyntheticShock
    Nope. Can't recomend any of them. The ones without ammonia are progressive vegetable dyes that deposit all sorts of shit in the cuticle to help the color molecules cling on. All the box variety are pretty much the same as one another although Ferrier is probably the absolute worst for your hair (but it does have some lovely colors you can't get elsewhere).
    If you have to use a consumer grade product I'd say Miss Clarol's, Goldwell, or Wella's Colorcharm (the individual bottles of color not the drug store boxes- you can get them at nicer public beauty supply stores) and mix it yourself. Equal parts color to developer (usualy 1oz of each to cover the head) 5 volume for deposit only, 20 volume if you are looking to go one to two shades lighter, 40 if your looking to go 3 or more shades lighter. More than 4 shades lighter requires prelightening with bleach.

I have only one snippet of hair advice. DO NOT USE BLODISSIMA.
    Ermmm..bad experience.

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

Oh, do tell, mystoo.

+ Reply to Thread