+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DND discussion

Default DND discussion

Didn't want to Hijack the zombie thread with this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I haven't tried 4e yet, I am just comming out of the dark ages and got the rule book for 3e, lol. what edition is planescape? I never heard of it. forgotten realms was fun too, but ravenloft blew ass, I could never really get into it. I'm actually looking to collect all the darksun stuff(I don't have it), and start DMing an adventure one night a week at my house. that would rule.
    I'm going to be test driving 4e sometime in the next 6 weeks or so. I'd skip 3e and go straight to 3.5. It streamlines alot of stuff and nerfed some abusable shit (like Harm and Polymorph other), also the Complete Class books (FIghter, Rouge, Divine, Arcane) are fucking fantastic. There's a bunch of books that are great and a bunch that are total crap. Most of the stuff published under the OGL is pure crap but there are a few gold bits like Mutants and Masterminds. I can give you a list of quality goods or a Yay/Nay review if you're not certain and wanna run something by me.

Planescape was AD&D 2.5e it was the last campaine setting to come out before TSR went under. It took place in, well, the plane. It was a heavily conceptual setting where the players could be Planar (born on in the planes) or Primes (from a Campain setting world). The planes were ideological locations arrayed in a conceptual wheel that corosponded to the alignments with places like Mount Celestia the Mountain plane of Lawful Good, Baator the Lawful Evil 9 layered hell, The Abyss the Chaotic Evil infinately layered Plane, Mechanicus the True Neutral clockwork hive city. Then there were the outlands, an infinate plane manifest from the neutrality that was caused by the eldrich intereplay of forces of the outer planes rotating about the "great wheel". At the center of the outlands is a spire infinately high and at the top of that spire (yes you read that right) is the City of Doors, Sigil, where the Gods and their ideologies are taboo punishable by imprisonment in a torture maze dimension. Sigil is also a city of portals where one can get to and come from any plan in the multiverse. Every door, window, and hedge in Sigil is a portal to and from somewhere but you have to have the right key to open them. Sometimes that key is obvious sometimes obtuse, and occasionally random or silly. Sigil is a huge place with numerous interesting districts and several Ideological factions who have very strong opinions about how the multi verse should function, and since the planes are a place where ideology is manifest they actualy do have a nominal say (it's more of a popularity contest/constant jihad). Planscape also encompases and workes in the other planes such as the Astral, Etherial, the Demi-plane of Shadow (from Forgoten Realms), and the Elemental Planes. It's got an intersting and internaly coherant dialect that the natives speak which can be learned by gleenin the dark of it from the cant of the berkers what hab there.
    It also had some of the best modules of 2nd ed like the "Great Modron March" and "Dead Gods" the later of which is a continuation of the famous "Rod of 7 parts" quest in which the players are manipulated into resurecting Orcuss.

Ravenloft did suck balls. I tried to run adventures there several times and failed to enjoy it at all. Ravenloft is OK as a side quest or a one shot, but was crap fodder for long games.

I'd love to play in a Dark Sun game, rig up some some sort of telepresense rig so I can join in.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: DND discussion

Maybe some chat/forum type situation. I'd be in.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Never played the that setting but I read a bunch of the novels that came out at that time...........I quite enjoyed them.......................very grim stuff........

yeah ravenloft does suck as a campaign world setting.

The game me and some friends have been playing for the last 20 or so years has a lot of ideas from everything out there but we've never played anything directly from the books or modules.

planescape sounds interesting

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I heard good things about 3.5e... planescape sonds cool. I think the rule book I may have bought might have been 3.5e. I'll have to look. I will deffinetly have some questions for you in the future; thanks man. ever play greyhawk?

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I heard good things about 3.5e... planescape sonds cool. I think the rule book I may have bought might have been 3.5e. I'll have to look. I will deffinetly have some questions for you in the future; thanks man. ever play greyhawk?
    It's easy to tell if it's 3.5 it says at the bottom middle of the cover of the PG.
    I'm playing in a 2e Greyhawk module with a bunch of Burners right now and we all pretty much hate it. It was Gygax's first setting and he was a pretty good ideas guy but his writing and worlds were pretty much all fucking terrible and he (largely self) published a _lot_.
    Greyhawk is the world of the endless dungeon crawl or super generic fantasy (more so than dragonlance ((which I also hate - fucking kender)) even!)

I'd never done modules before the group I play in now, but I enjoy running out of established campaign settings as it makes it easier to get everyone on the same cannonacle page.

My current faves aren't even DND. They're Call of Cthulhu, Exalted, and Dark Heresy.

isn't version 4 coming out soon?

It's out. $34 a book at Borders.

They can seriously suck all of the man-fat out of my prostate via the application of the lips and tongue to my penis.

$102 to play a game? Piss right off.

Its unofficially ALL illegal in the Bible Belt... but I think me and my hubby would love to get into it... it just goes along with all our kinks

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Awesome
    It's easy to tell if it's 3.5 it says at the bottom middle of the cover of the PG.
    I'm playing in a 2e Greyhawk module with a bunch of Burners right now and we all pretty much hate it. It was Gygax's first setting and he was a pretty good ideas guy but his writing and worlds were pretty much all fucking terrible and he (largely self) published a _lot_.
    Greyhawk is the world of the endless dungeon crawl or super generic fantasy (more so than dragonlance ((which I also hate - fucking kender)) even!)

I'd never done modules before the group I play in now, but I enjoy running out of established campaign settings as it makes it easier to get everyone on the same cannonacle page.

My current faves aren't even DND. They're Call of Cthulhu, Exalted, and Dark Heresy.
    yeah, it's 3.5e; I was just too lazy to get up and look at that moment. I agree that grey hawk is pretty lame. I just got it because it was cheap, and I kinda couldn't resist it for collecting purposes....ever play champions? that's some old school shit, lol.
    what's exalted about?

okay, the voltaire has to go to bed. I have to work an afternoon shift tomorrow.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk

$102 to play a game? Piss right off.
    I've gotten well over that cash amount in entertainment derived from the content of those books over and over and over again over the years. I mean think about it, a movie at the theater costs $20 bucks (if your lucky) for two people to enjoy 2 hrs together. IF you only played with 4 people for 6 hrs ONCE you'd have gotten your moneys worth by that math. (or you could always download)

OrganizedKhaos - I'm from the bible belt (houston), my 'rents burned my DND books when they found them the first time claiming i could use them to haul up demons from hell or something. They didn't believe me when I told them that a book to REALLY summon demons would have to cost more than 30 bucks.

Never did get into champions, though I have been temped by the Hero system (champions new edition). If I'm gonna do supers though, I'll use Silver Age Sentinels or Mutants and Masterminds (GRRRREEAT game).

Exalted is a long long story. Suffice it to say it's Epic-Wuxia (cantonees flying people cinima)-animeish-super high fantasy. It's got a chinese inspired mythology with an american anime flavor. Make sense?
    It has powers that are fun to use just because of the name. Like; Artful Maiming Onslaught, or Neighborhood Relocating Stance, or Death of Obsidion Butterflys, or Hopping Firecracker Evasion. You just want to yell the name of your power as you use it.
    It's bar none my favorite setting and game system and I recomend buying it just for the read.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

haha, kender... thanks joel, i had forgotten them. but then didnt kaz used to have a kender kompanion? minotaurs are the owns.

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

Geez, I haven't played D&D since 2nd Edition. I've been having a hard time finding people to play. I've been wanting to run a campaign set in the Masque of the Red Death reality, though slightly modified.

OrganizedKhaos - I'm from the bible belt (houston), my 'rents burned my DND books when they found them the first time claiming i could use them to haul up demons from hell or something. They didn't believe me when I told them that a book to REALLY summon demons would have to cost more than 30 bucks.
    That's a riot!!!!

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

I'm looking through the 4th ed DM's guide. This edition has the new addition of the dragongorn. 4th is a little odd when you 1st see it. You'll be glad to see teiflings now are regular player character choices. Combat seems alot more streamlined and somewhat more user friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by a_small_death
    I'm looking through the 4th ed DM's guide. This edition has the new addition of the dragongorn. 4th is a little odd when you 1st see it. You'll be glad to see teiflings now are regular player character choices. Combat seems alot more streamlined and somewhat more user friendly.
    Sure we got Tieflings but why did we get Dragonborn instead of Asimar? I'm just glad the Half-orc is gone as a default.

There's more to the changes than meets the eye. Will explain more later.

have they made the combat make sense yet?............as opposed to the same old fighting till you get to one hp and then after that you fall down.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Combat is looking somewhat more easier but now you can knock a person into the negatives now. I still need to look further into it in the DM's guide.

Quote Originally Posted by a_small_death
    Combat is looking somewhat more easier but now you can knock a person into the negatives now. I still need to look further into it in the DM's guide.
    You could be knocked into the negs in 3e. You were considered to be bleeding out untill you hit -10. A standard action could be done to stablize you so that you didn't continue to loose hitpoints.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

the addition of tieflings are normal pc character choices is enough for me to pick up the new players guide and roll up some "bastard children of the planes."

alas, the gaming group i was most recently a part of dried up about 6 months back when we lost our DM. it was an online, play by post style first edition game. it was composed of about 5 of us who had gotten scattered across the states due to work and just couldnt get together on a regular basis to play.

D&D is my first love - i grew up playing and reading the fiction. second goes to white wolf's Vampire game. and third is cyberpunk or shadowrun.

TheCosmicSheriff's Avatar If I could, would I?

Im in a 3.5e campaing right now and looking forward to 4e that will take place next.

Two really good things about 4e:

1.) Very hard to exploit, and most of the game-breaking effects have been removed or greatly limited.

2.) It's consistently playable from 1-30...no more ridiculous power level increases at the higher levels.

game breaking effects?

BOOT HILL for the win

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    game breaking effects?
    Save-or-die spells, easy teleportation, information gathering spells that bypass huge sections of RP, Miracle/Wish, etc.

RP?

So long as they don't fuck with my half-angel, half-devil dragonkind vampire werewolf shapechanger fighter/thief/cleric/magic-user, 895th level, can only be killed by a blade that has already been destroyed in Tarterus and who can only be harmed (to the tune of cause light wounds) by a wish spell AND once ***** Lolth in the ass just to show her who's boss, we're all good.

Did I mention said character owns 29 major artifacts and brushes his teeth with a brush made out of the Hand of Vecna?

MINMAXING FOR THE WIN

RP?

So long as they don't fuck with my half-angel, half-devil dragonkind vampire werewolf shapechanger fighter/thief/cleric/magic-user, 895th level, can only be killed by a blade that has already been destroyed in Tarterus and who can only be harmed (to the tune of cause light wounds) by a wish spell AND once ***** Lolth in the ass just to show her who's boss, we're all good.

Did I mention said character owns 29 major artifacts and brushes his teeth with a brush made out of the Hand of Vecna?

MINMAXING FOR THE WIN
    I just lollerskated into a wall. Owch.
    I've played in games with DM god characters that were almost that bad.

RP?

MINMAXING FOR THE WIN
    RP = role playing

...and yes, that whole "stacking templates & multiclassing to the point of retardation" is another thing that they remedied.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

I want to find a game where I can show up and drink beer and have a good time so that I can role-play a drunk....

...Oh wait, that's my real life.

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    Save-or-die spells, easy teleportation, information gathering spells that bypass huge sections of RP, Miracle/Wish, etc.

ah.....that stuff. The game I'm in our DM actually did away with that(well basically made it impossible to get any of that stuff in the game world).....it was months of playing before we found our first magic item.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    I want to find a game where I can show up and drink beer and have a good time so that I can role-play a drunk....

...Oh wait, that's my real life.
    guy I knew in college became a national hackey sack competitor because it was the only sport he could play with a beer in one hand, and a cigarette in the other.

http://www.epicfantasy.net/Home.html

The guy who DM's our game has been working on a different sort of game engine for the D&D type game, a year or two back he started this site, with a bit more feedback he might get of his ass and finish it..............His combat system works really well, I'm not sure what sort of description of it he has on his site, but it's very unique

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

the best way to rid your game world of nigh unbeatable god characters is by introding rumours of "the head of vecna" artifact. you need to first get beheaded and quickly implant the head onto your neck before dying for it to work. if it doesnt work the first time, youre either not doing it fast enough or its not the real head of vecna. try again!

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    the best way to rid your game world of nigh unbeatable god characters is by introding rumours of "the head of vecna" artifact. you need to first get beheaded and quickly implant the head onto your neck before dying for it to work. if it doesnt work the first time, youre either not doing it fast enough or its not the real head of vecna. try again!
    hahahahahaha!!!!!
    nice one!

http://www.epicfantasy.net/Home.html

The guy who DM's our game has been working on a different sort of game engine for the D&D type game, a year or two back he started this site, with a bit more feedback he might get of his ass and finish it..............His combat system works really well, I'm not sure what sort of description of it he has on his site, but it's very unique

I'd love to be able to provide him with some feedback, but there's honestly not enough information on the site to give me a clue what he's talking about.

I'd love to be able to provide him with some feedback, but there's honestly not enough information on the site to give me a clue what he's talking about.
    yeah, one day he'll get around to making it a bit more descriptive, I'll have to let him know........the main thing is his combat system, wich I don't think he has anything about on there.................hmmmm

yeah, one day he'll get around to making it a bit more descriptive, I'll have to let him know........the main thing is his combat system, wich I don't think he has anything about on there.................hmmmm
    He talks about how awesome it is a bit but there's no actual mechanics to flog.

So Kitty grabbed the 4e corebook last night and has decided that I have to run it for her. Apparently the MMO analogues make whatever damaged part of her brain makes WoW so addictive makes 4e exxxxtreeeemely appealing to her. So looks like I'll be buying/running 4e sometime soon.

Lilly's Avatar Member

I'm going to be running a 4e one shot on tuesday evening with my group to find out if they prefer this to 3.5. Will let you all know how it goes.

Most of that game breakable stuff can be balaced out by house rules - the new DMG (4e) has a few chapters about fleshing out your own world and introducing house rules and information.

I'm from the bible belt (houston), my 'rents burned my DND books when they found them the first time claiming i could use them to haul up demons from hell or something. They didn't believe me when I told them that a book to REALLY summon demons would have to cost more than 30 bucks.
    That definitely reminded me of a long term friend of mine - she maintains that I am going to suddenly start murdering people in their sleep or sacrificing babies simply because I play RPGs. Some people are just odd.

PS. and WoW is VERY addictive

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

We're making "hell no 4 point O" tees for Gencon.
    This system is such a joke, and WotC is the biggest con in the gaming industry.
    Personally, I wouldn't mind them taking a big hit for this pos. If I wanna play hack and slash, ill whip out my EQ account. They've managed to make an already stupid proof system (3.5) and make it completely targeted towards morons who think it's "cool" to game, and have no real motive to ROLEPLAY, just kill shit.

He talks about how awesome it is a bit but there's no actual mechanics to flog.

hmmm, yeah I'v always wondered how he'd end up flogging that. His rulebook is only 100 pages wich I suppose isn't enough for most people

+ Reply to Thread