+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Selling Your Vote on eBay

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Default Selling Your Vote on eBay

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/04/eba...ref=rss_latest

MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (AP) -- A college student claimed it was all a joke when he put his vote in this fall's presidential election up for sale on the Web auction site eBay. But prosecutors didn't see the humor.

Prosecutors say a college student put his vote up for sale on eBay in return for voting for the bidder's candidate.

University of Minnesota student Max P. Sanders, 19, was charged with a felony Thursday in Hennepin County District Court after allegedly asking for a minimum of $10 in exchange for voting for the bidder's preferred candidate.

"Good luck!" Sanders wrote under the eBay handle zepdrummer612. "You're (sic) country depends on You!"

Sanders was charged with one count of bribery, treating and soliciting under an 1893 state law that makes it a crime to offer to buy or sell a vote.

According to a criminal complaint, the Minnesota secretary of state's office learned about the offering on the Web site and told prosecutors. Investigators sent a subpoena to eBay and got information that led to Sanders.

The student told investigators he made the eBay posting, adding, "That was a joke. It's no longer listed," according to the complaint.

"We take it very seriously. Fundamentally, we believe it is wrong to sell your vote," said John Aiken, a spokesman for the office. "There are people that have died for this country for our right to vote, and to take something that lightly, to say, 'I can be bought.'

"It's a real shame," he said. "I can imagine the conversations being held in American Legion Clubs and VFWs about whether this is a joke or not."

The scarcely used law had its heyday in the 1920s, when many people sold their votes in exchange for liquor, Assistant County Attorney Pat Diamond said.

"There are two things going on here in terms of why it's a crime," he said. "One is the notion that elections should be a contest of ideas and not of pocketbooks -- at least not in the sense of straight-out 'I can buy your vote.' The second notion is that everybody gets one vote, and you don't get to buy another one."

Sanders and his attorney, Steven Levine, declined to comment Thursday. The charge carries up to five years' imprisonment and a $10,000 fine.

As for the offer on eBay? It got no bids.

Default Re: Selling Your Vote on eBay

Good thing lobbyists don't use eBay.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

If legal, would any of you ever sell your right to vote, and if so at what cost?

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Absolutely not. There's a principle involved.

I'm a citizen of two countries and ineligible to vote in either, and not yet a citizen of this one.... but believe me, I have the Euro ideals of voting.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Uh..no, it's mine! You can't have it!

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

that would mean that the person with the most money would just buy there way into politics.

oh wait, that's what already happens. so sure, might as well let me make a buck off it as well.

I mean really, that is what representative government is about, you put politicians into office so that they will vote and pass issues the way that you want them to, and you have people giving them millions of dollars in campaign contributions and like lady alias said, lobbyist groups whose sole purpose is to do just that very thing.

if you can buy and sell a candidate, why not be able to buy and sell the votes for them?

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

wasn't the US built on bought votes anyway?

lol wow.

A felony? seriously? Do we seriously need to send some nerdy college kid to jail for a year+ and ruin his record over an internet prank?

Welcome to America.

Rush Limbaugh didn't spend any time in jail for getting others to get drugs for him by threat.

Likewise, Cindy McCain stole narcotics from a charity trying to distribute them to the 3rd world, a charity she ran, and once again, strangely enough, no jail!

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    lol wow.

A felony? seriously? Do we seriously need to send some nerdy college kid to jail for a year+ and ruin his record over an internet prank?
    Agree. Give the kid some community service pertaining to our system of government and expunge the charge. It shouldn't damn his future.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

would I sale my vote? No, would I buy someone else votes yes! A person or group of people with money could do more damage to the Democrats. If they had teams stand outside place where people vote. City of choice Atlanta, Chicago, DC,LA, Huston, ect. Would not be that much to even do that 5 or 10 dollars... your vote or a few 2 gallons of gas in your car hmmm let me think...

BP
    Come on, Do not just go after republicans, get everyone. Let me name a few dems to even things out here. Ill even bash my side a little to make it all fair.

Former Rep. Mel Reynolds. The Illinois Democrat was convicted of 12 counts of sexual assault with a 16-year-old. President Bill Clinton pardoned him before leaving office

Rep. Barney Frank. The outspoken Massachusetts Democrat hired a
    male prostitute who ran a prostitution service from Frank's residence in the 1980s. Only two Democrats in the House of Representatives voted to censure him in 1990.

Former Sen. Brock Adams. The late Washington Democrat was forced to stop campaigning after numerous accusations of drugging, assault and ****, the first surfacing in 1988.

Former Rep. Gerry Studds. He was censured for sexual relationship with underage male page in 1983. Massachusetts voters returned him to
    office for six more terms.

Larry Franklin(R)-DOD employee, pleaded guilty in espionage case.

Former Congressman Bill Janklow(R-SD) Convicted and jailed for killing a man with his car after blowing through a stopsign at a high rate of speed

Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham (R-CA)
    Probed for bribery regarding financial ties with and favors for defense firm MZM. Pleaded guilty to tax evasion, conspiracy, Nov. 28, 2005.

State Rep. Lee Daniels (Elmhurst), Former House Leader (R-IL)
    Under Federal investigation for misuse of state employees for political activity and state contract kickbacks.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Rush Limbaugh isn't a republican. what political position did he get elected to under the party? he's just a fat right wing asshole.

Not that i'm not a fan of bi-partisan open season on politicians...

but a more fair comparison wouldn't be Rush to some Dem, it would be to like Howard Stern.

The difference is Rush and Cindy are rich and well connected. The word "Republican" was never uttered by me.

Vaughn's Avatar Walking Sucker Punch...
    Remember that hole you dug in the yard that time?

Emillou Harris

Vaughn's Avatar Walking Sucker Punch...
    Remember that hole you dug in the yard that time?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn
    Emillou Harris

Ha...wrong thread but I stand by my decision.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Just shows, everyone's got a price.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

vote Emillou Harris.... you got me sold

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

i would sell my vote just like congress does

sell it to the person who you were going to vote for anyway

Dishuman's Avatar Member

Oh My God... I didn't know selling your vote was illegal....
    This country is even more stupid than I though... hahaha what the fuck...
    I think is a GREAT idea. Democracy is a big lie to me, so I would gladly sell my vote and get some money out of it too ya know? Not letting the senators and politicians get all the money for themselves is a great idea to me.

+ Reply to Thread