+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hormonal birth control

Default hormonal birth control

I've never taken contraceptive hormones. There are many potential physical side-effects, some minor and some major, but it's the possibility of mental changes that I find most troubling. I've known friends who've said that their personality changed while on The Pill.

If I took some variety of The Pill, would I become more or less emotional? Would I react to things differently, and, if so, would my reactions be less valid because the chemicals driving them were coming from without rather than from within? Would I be able to tell if such changes were occurring?

Of course, it'd be great not to have to fuss with condoms.

Ladies, have you been on The Pill? If so, how has the experience been for you?

Men, would you take a hormonal contraceptive if it was available?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: hormonal birth control

I went on the pill to regulate my period. It made me vaguely nauseous in the mornings at first. Once my body got used to it, I felt extra-great for a few months. Then I started to feel more and more uncharacteristically anxious and respond in an uncharacteristically emotional way to certain things and crave sweets (when I never had a sweet tooth before) and gain weight. I had sometimes felt brief spikes of intense anxiety during my period and the pill made it so I felt more low-grade anxiety ALL the time instead. NOT an improvement. I stopped taking it eventually, but I don't think my hormones ever went back to normal afterward and I have enjoyed sweets more and found managing my weight much more difficult ever since. If I could get a do-over on choosing to try the pill, I would never go on it.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Batzilla: YES.

But at this stage in my life, I'll be getting the "snip".

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

no need

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I love my birth control pills. Minor nausea but thats about all the complaining you'll hear from me on this subject.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

the pill affects everyone differently. I haven't taken it since I was 23. I stopped taking it because it made me completely and totally batshit crazy. i'll never touch that shit again. i'm a fan of either condoms or pulling out as birth control. the boy and I have used both methods for years now.

or pulling out as birth control.
    AKA "thrills and spills"

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Quote Originally Posted by batzilla
    Men, would you take a hormonal contraceptive if it was available?
    Don't see why not, but at the moment the options in trial aren't "pills". Prolactin inhibitors work very well to block sperm production, but need to be taken in combination with an implant or regular injection of testosterone to combat the side effects. There are many who fear that a widespread system of semi-OTC testosterone supplements (although safe when used correctly) would create a market for abuse. There are reflex inhibitors in trial which prevent ejaculation, but they're not yet a realistic option for long-term use.

It's also worth noting that the male of the species is, and I say this with some experience, a fantastically well-engineered beast. Miss a pill and you're back making babies within hours, and as the terrorism motto says, a contraceptive has to stop 300 million sperm. A pregnancy needs only one to get through.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    ...i'm a fan of ... pulling out as birth control.
    /me awaits the arrival of BabyBlue...

Yeah--- not to wish babies on anyone who doesn't want em, but VB's cute as fuck and her kids would be a Weapon Of Mass Adorableness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    /me awaits the arrival of BabyBlue...
    that is next to impossible. funny this thread came up; taking hormonal BC that was WAY too strong at 15 is the reason for that. if I did get knocked up, i'd keep it, but I honestly don't see that happening. if I ever want kids i'll adopt. not an infant, either. i'd want a teenager. someone who really needs a 2nd chance.

Lilly's Avatar Member

I've been on the pill since I was 12 - never had a bad reaction yet, infact taking it for me is a heck of alot better then not taking it. I get terrible cramps and I mean terrible, my currently broken arm is preferable to them, I faint, throw up and completely loose function of my legs for a day or so when I'm not on the pill (my Dr and I test this every few years as he keeps telling me it'll get better - I think he lies thus far) as VoltaireBlue said the pill effects everyone differently and that's not taking into account the different brands, strengths and types of pill made.

Keep in mind if you do go on the pill from a health perspective it does not count as safe sex as it does absolutely nothing in regards to STI's. Also I believe Mindgames comment in regards to pulling out as a method of birth control was aimed at the fact that with perfection it barely equals condom use (96% effective) and that is if the guy is perfect and manages to withdraw every single time (VERY hard for the guy - realistically it is figured at about 65%) that still doesn't take into account the viable spermatozoa (the actual reproductive cell produced by men) that is present in pre-ejaculate, it's not only semen that can get you pregnant.

Then again I am verging on paranoid, I don't even like to touch my genitalia after giving my BF a handjob, those little guys are persistent as all heck.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I get horrible cramps as well. My whole body goes numb, my fingers get stiff,when I touch my hair it feels like doll hair (no kidding), and I get all shaky,and hot and cold at the same time. It kind off feels like what I hear heroin withdrawl is like. I just CAN'T function. It doesn't happen all the time and my doctor hasn't been able to tell me why either. Let me know if you figure it out.

that is next to impossible. funny this thread came up; taking hormonal BC that was WAY too strong at 15 is the reason for that. if I did get knocked up, i'd keep it, but I honestly don't see that happening. if I ever want kids i'll adopt. not an infant, either. i'd want a teenager. someone who really needs a 2nd chance.
    I don't know you well enough to know how that makes you feel.

Me ex had PCOS and we thought she'd never have kids of her own (our two are evidence that's not the case) but she was devastated when told - a common reaction, I understand. All I can say is that any commentary on the subject of you biologically having kids was meant (on my side anyway) as a compliment and should there be any dredged-up feelings I apologize, if there's a need.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    I don't know you well enough to know how that makes you feel.

Me ex had PCOS and we thought she'd never have kids of her own (our two are evidence that's not the case) but she was devastated when told - a common reaction, I understand. All I can say is that any commentary on the subject of you biologically having kids was meant (on my side anyway) as a compliment and should there be any dredged-up feelings I apologize, if there's a need.
    oh no, no need for appologies dear. even when I was a tenager I couldn't imagine myself with kids. the reason I would want to adopt a teenager is because those are the kids no one wants, since most people who adopt want infants. a teenager who's already been in the sytem for umpteen years usuallyneeds a serious second chance at having a real family and real love. it would take a shitload of very dificult hard work, and i'd probably get a lot of grey hair from it, but I think I could do it.

oh no, no need for appologies dear. even when I was a tenager I couldn't imagine myself with kids. the reason I would want to adopt a teenager is because those are the kids no one wants, since most people who adopt want infants. a teenager who's already been in the sytem for umpteen years usuallyneeds a serious second chance at having a real family and real love. it would take a shitload of very dificult hard work, and i'd probably get a lot of grey hair from it, but I think I could do it.
    And here I was thinking my level of respect for you couldn't go up.
    You'd look hot with grey hair *winks* so it's win-win.

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

I think every young woman would look hot with gray hair. Just looks sexy.

As I've said before, though, I'm quite insane, so I'm probably the only person who thinks that.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I would have been happy to take a pill, but since I've had the Snip done, it's pointless now.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

hmm. gun control, birth control. is there a connection here? you notice that the people that like lots of guns like lots of babies too?

maybe they should call it dumb control.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZ
    I think every young woman would look hot with gray hair. Just looks sexy.

As I've said before, though, I'm quite insane, so I'm probably the only person who thinks that.

I have one word which demonstrates that you are not alone in this:

Tarna

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I have one word which demonstrates that you are not alone in this:

Tarna
    The female warrior from the Heavy Metal movie?

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

Hmm... Yeh, you're probably right. 6 billion people on the planet, there's gotta be a bunch of other people who get all excited over gray hair.

But, if the side-effects were minimal, I'd take hormonal birth control. I probably still would if they weren't minimal, but I wouldn't be as excited about it.

Thanks for sharing, guys, especially Amelia and VB -- your posts have solidly reconfirmed my commitment to avoiding unnecessary hormones. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

I'm glad that The Pill has worked well for some people... I think it's great that we have developed such a simple and reliable method of birth control for women, I just wish that it didn't have to have such gnarly and unpredictable side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    There are many who fear that a widespread system of semi-OTC testosterone supplements (although safe when used correctly) would create a market for abuse. There are reflex inhibitors in trial which prevent ejaculation, but they're not yet a realistic option for long-term use.

It's also worth noting that the male of the species is, and I say this with some experience, a fantastically well-engineered beast. Miss a pill and you're back making babies within hours, and as the terrorism motto says, a contraceptive has to stop 300 million sperm. A pregnancy needs only one to get through.
    Good point about the potential for abuse.

As for the difficulty of male BC versus female BC, I don't know the details but I've actually seen it argued that, from a certain scientific standpoint, it could be simpler to stop a continuous process (sperm production) than a periodic one (ovulation).

Also, check out this interesting new, non-hormonal male contraceptive that's currently undergoing clinical trials:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISUG

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

always had a bit of a fetich for blue haired ladies

Quote Originally Posted by batzilla
    Good point about the potential for abuse.

As for the difficulty of male BC versus female BC, I don't know the details but I've actually seen it argued that, from a certain scientific standpoint, it could be simpler to stop a continuous process (sperm production) than a periodic one (ovulation).
    It's easier to stop something (ovulation) where there is a pre-existing and evolutionary method already in place to do so (pregnancy).

Especially when the male of the species has evolved to produce sperm at all cost.

+ Reply to Thread