+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rap Music

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Rap Music

BP, you said it yourself that you work with someone that listens to intelligent rap music. Do you really think that it is such an extraordinary coincidence? You were able to find an "exception to the rule" without even trying.

You also cite rock music. You mean to tell me that rock music hasn't produced many intelligent and sincere, musically artistic and talented songs? We all know that is not true. Of course it has produced many chauvinistic mindless songs as well. So you could say, ah, but within those songs, you won't find many that are the opposite... well, yeah, that is circular logic. The same goes for rap, country, and everything.

Now you may be right that teenagers, the largest music buying demographic, are mainly interested in songs about sex and ego-stroking (because teens are mainly interesting in life about sex and ego) but that demonstrates the bias of the music industry and advertising.

That's why you see crap on MTV and the radio, and not the good stuff. But after all, isn't that true once again about everything?

It's certainly fine for you or anyone to not like rap, pop, or anything else and not listen to it if you don't want to. I don't particularly like country music, but I know that to think that all country music is ignorant and right-wing, would be to assume that everyone who listened to it was also, and that would be unfair and an ignorant stereotype.

J. Babington's Avatar Wanderer Of The Internet

Default Re: Rap Music

I listen to metal, and i can never watch mtv or now days back in the early 90's it was music almost 24/7 now your lucky to see a few music blocks....and fewer still that arent rap or hip hop....
    Hmmm metallica will release its new album in sept(I think).
    But why I don't get is why the whole teenage population is so...entranced with rap. Yes as you said the are interested in music that reflects their wants for sex and an ego trip.
    I believe rap twists the minds of so many people that the "gangsta" living is well over populated, it just seems like one of those thing that wasn't really supposed to be main stream but as with most underground things they become the "best" mainstream product for a while, but given time all this will subside.
    To me i just hate how they talk about woman and about the all the hate and anger....(cant we all just...get along lol)

haha. ya know your parents were saying "Why must my kids listen to this damn rock music?"

and now if you are a parent you're saying "Why must my kids listen to this damn rap music?"

Ah yes, the mythical mainstream. We've talked about this before. There's a reason what you see on TV is called Programming.

*sigh* yeah, well back in the day I was to young to know any better before mtv turned into road rules extreme(i don't quote me on that im not sure if that started the wave of reality tv)it was good i remember, HELL I still have alot of my mom's and my dad's VHS tapes when they recorded their music blocks.
    Now days the closest thing to random music that isnt programing but is still good is Pandora.com

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quick, the intellectual difference between the following statements is __________

Let's get buck naked and fuck.
    I want to fuck you like an animal.
    I fuck like a beast.

uh well it sounds instinctive but thats about is >.>

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

BP, you said it yourself that you work with someone that listens to intelligent rap music. Do you really think that it is such an extraordinary coincidence?
    Frankly, yes. Those artists themselves bemoan the fact that their listening public consists of their high school friends and those guys who do college radio.

Mindless is one thing. Listen, I don't go to rock music or rap music or any other music looking for Chaucer, for Christ's sake.

But there's a difference between

"You shook me all night long"

and

"booty booty booty booty booty every where
    booty booty booty booty booty every where
    booty every where
    booty every where"

I don't give a shit that it's someone talking over a beat, I mean, Blondie did the same trip in the 70s. But I gave the example of the Ying Yang Twins. EVERY goddamn song in their repertoire is almost literally the ravings of a three year old who learned the swear word way of talking about body parts.

Eminem, for all his whining about how his mommy doesn't love him, has some clever turns of phrase, and Notorious B.I.G. was a raconteur. Tupac Shakur made attempts to say some useful things as well, his song dedicated to his mother was particularly heartfelt and cool.

But every time I turn on the radio, I'll spin the dial and when I come across rap, I'll give it the college try every single time, and every time come away disappointed.

I'll ask you not to characterize my dislike of corporate rap as being akin to some fuddy duddy 50s parent aghast at the Rolling Stones, though the labels really like that comparison. Because otherwise it calls them on their bullshit and they have no other retort against general distaste with an artistically bankrupt concept executed in the laziest manner possible.

I want to fuck you like an animal.
    I fuck like a beast.
    Well, if Trent Reznor had continued on in that song to say

I want to fuck you like an animal
    I wanna nut in yo cunt
    Booty booty booty bitch booty bitch

I'd dismiss him as an adolescent as well.

Singing about sex per se isn't my beef.

well I like the cross overs back in the 90's (yes the 90's) with Anthrax when they combined both of the genres just for a little but i cant remember the rap group for the life of me.

Let's put it this way, if this site consisted of the same shot over and over again, different girls but the same pose, namely an extreme close up of a vulva held spread open with fingers, I wouldn't be here.

This site has naked women, but it has merit.

Rapping about animalistic urges for women? Go to it. Make it interesting and relevant and I'll applaud you. But you have to extend your vocabulary beyond "WAITLL YA SEE MY DICK HEY BITCH"

im surprised they don't have petition on petitiononline that their tag line is "Keep sex in bed not in music"
    Hmmm I wonder

Well BP they do that buts all about gang wars and how the west coast is better tahn the rest or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Babington
    well I like the cross overs back in the 90's (yes the 90's) with Anthrax when they combined both of the genres just for a little but i cant remember the rap group for the life of me.
    That was Public Enemy, that ended up in its own rut. I have great sympathy for Public Enemy and Chuck D. You can tell the dude just did NOT want to abandon his friends no matter how much they fucked shit up for him.

"This is something that you have GOT TO UNDERSTAND. We gotta drop all that alcohol and drugs."
    "Yeah, yeah, yeah, Chuck, you tell em what time it is" (Flavor Flav then goes on to smoke crack out of an empty malt liquor can.)

"Alright, never mind that. This is something that you have GOT TO UNDERSTAND. We gotta get rid of racism yo!"
    "That's right, Brother Chuck. Otherwise we're no better than those filthy Jews."
    (Chuck D. goggles his eyes at Professor Griff, who looks back at him like "what?")

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    I'll ask you not to characterize my dislike of corporate rap as being akin to some fuddy duddy 50s parent aghast at the Rolling Stones, though the labels really like that comparison.
    they do, indeed. that was my point, not that you were the one doing it.

it was a commentary on the de-intellectualizing of America by certain minority groups (who call themselves The Mainstream) that want you to think that everyone is and should be just like them.

You pointed out the difference between BB and "other sites". that's what I'm saying.

You seem to understand that there is a contingent of serious "alternative" voices in art, and including rap. All I'm saying is to recognize, yo - to coin a phrase- and not to conflate one with the other(s).

By all means, the ying yang twats (that wasn't a diss on women) are atrocious.

But in the words of Chuck D, DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!

"Alright, never mind that. This is something that you have GOT TO UNDERSTAND. We need to work for justice, yo."
    "That's right! Mike Tyson was framed!!!! SHE SHOULDA KNOWN WHAT SHE WAS GETTIN IN FOR!"

(Chuck facepalms)

"Alright, never mind that. This is something that you have GOT TO UNDERSTAND! Islam is a valid, intelligent value system that will uplift and ennoble the... *BAM* what was that? Yo man, duck, the towers are falling!"

The last one wasn't his fault, and is probably correct, but you have to feel for the poor guy.

Oh, I see, morning glory.

I think we're in violent agreement here, but you have to admit, the signal to noise ratio on rap sucks balls.

were in an argument?

Yeah, most likely. I've been told that I love to argue. I'm positive that it's a family thing, we will argue for hours about things that are totally trivial and then come to the conclusion that we agree about the subject.

It really does suck. I'm glad that I don't have kids, I don't know how I'd be able to deal with them if they turned out like a lot of them.

The sad thing is, there are women out there right now thanks to that rap dreck that think that dressing like a five cent whore and putting out for someone who calls her a bitch and a whore is an acceptable state of affairs.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

The sad thing is, there are women out there right now thanks to that rap dreck that think that dressing like a five cent whore and putting out for someone who calls her a bitch and a whore is an acceptable state of affairs.
    in a loving caring committed long term relationship... "bitch" and "whore" - (used properly) - have a place...

Well, if Trent Reznor had continued on in that song to say

I want to fuck you like an animal
    I wanna nut in yo cunt
    Booty booty booty bitch booty bitch

I'd dismiss him as an adolescent as well.

Singing about sex per se isn't my beef.

Those were the lyrics from three different artists. The first was Ice T.

What exactly is the difference between "if you say come inside, I'll come inside for you" and "I wanna nut in yo cunt" other than I'd have to hear the beat on the latter for whether it had good flow or was as clunky as it reads. Is that an actual artist quote or what you think a rap artist sounds like because they sure as cunt are not playing that on the radio?

So really what you are saying is that you are more of a breast man than an ass man?

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    Yeah, most likely. I've been told that I love to argue. I'm positive that it's a family thing, we will argue for hours about things that are totally trivial and then come to the conclusion that we agree about the subject.

It really does suck. I'm glad that I don't have kids, I don't know how I'd be able to deal with them if they turned out like a lot of them.

Which is probably why I like you so much. Lawyer dad and diplomat mom here, literally on both counts, so I can't tell the difference between intensity levels of debate. I can tell the difference between stupid sound bites and tonal manipulation versus intelligent well-reasoned points and logical informed discourse. But I lack the intensity meter.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    Which is probably why I like you so much. Lawyer dad and diplomat mom here, literally on both counts, so I can't tell the difference between intensity levels of debate. I can tell the difference between stupid sound bites and tonal manipulation versus intelligent well-reasoned points and logical informed discourse. But I lack the intensity meter.
    i appreciate the intelligent well reasoned stuff! and the stupid sound bites can be entertaining as well...

Those were the lyrics from three different artists. The first was Ice T.
    Ice-T, NIN and WASP.

What exactly is the difference between "if you say come inside, I'll come inside for you" and "I wanna nut in yo cunt"
    Couth. Tact. Class. Don't get me wrong, as someone said, if there's a relationship that involves spanking a girl over my knee and putting her in the corner with her nose to the wall and her skirt tucked into her waistband exposing her burning cheeks, and it makes her wet to the knees, that's one thing. So is rather direct and forward but still delivered with some class suggestions.

Then there's "wait'll ya see my dick, hey bitch".

RE: other than I'd have to hear the beat on the latter for whether it had good flow or was as clunky as it reads. Is that an actual artist quote or what you think a rap artist sounds like because they sure as cunt are not playing that on the radio?[/QUOTE]

I can't remember half the shit they come out with, it's all the damn same to me. I'll see if I can dredge up some good quotes.

So really what you are saying is that you are more of a breast man than an ass man?
    Depends on who they're attached to, and what they are.

Depends on who they're attached to, and what they are.

I just meant because all your example bad rap lyrics have booty, booty, booty in them

Well, that's easier to get on the radio than titty titty titty.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

what the hell are you guys talking about..................rap music?........you mean like UTFO or grandmaster flash?

*stab! stab!* Roxanne, Roxanne!
    I wanna be yo man!

*stab! stab!* Roxanne, Roxanne!

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Is that really the artists fault though or does it go beyond that?
    Was Columbine Marilyn Mansons fault? Does Judas Priest make you want to kill yourself?

Marilyn Manson doesn't regularly sing about shooting up schools to the best of my knowledge, nor is his whole schtick

"Hi, M-rillin here. Yo, I be steady stackin paper from havin big guns that go brrrrrrap brrrrrrap brrrrrrrap where my ****** at?"

Are there kids that will look into Satanism based on Manson? Sure.

As for Judas Priest wanting me to kill myself, I'll knock off the obvious joke.

Bandura et. al. proved that people do imitate what they see on TV. I'll give you a classic example. There was a drive-by on Elgin St. in Ottawa, Canada in the mid 90s. White, suburban students. Killed a man dead.

Why'd they do it? Cause of their violent upbringing in the quiet, manicured suburban lawns of Queenswood Heights YO REPPIN THE 613 BO BO BO

Nope.

But they did love them some raps. Some gangsta raps. So they went to the states and got a gun and posed with it. Did the drive by just like in the song. Not cause they had a beef with anyone, but cause they thought it'd be cool. Like Ice-T and Ice Cube, Ice Tre and Vanilla Ice, Ice Rink and Ice Hot do.

There is NOTHING in Canadian suburban society: no ready access to guns, no glorification of a First Amendment, NOTHING that would make these kids even AWARE of the IDEA of shooting someone, never mind FIRING RANDOM SHOTS from a speeding car.

But hey, it's amazing what NWA albums can do.

I'm pretty sure you mean the second amendment.

Sometimes some people are jerks. I know that my art has inspired some people who I do not think are great people and who I would prefer not to have inspired.

I still want to know what rap you hear on the radio because I don't think NWA is getting a lot of airplay.

And I'm not sure that I believe Al Jourgenson is better on women's issues than 50 Cent. I mean maybe, and there are certainly rap artists like Ice Cube whose work I do not enjoy, but I don't think the whole genre can be dismissed as less intelligent or more misogynist than rock and roll or pop or goth-industrial or punk or metal etc.

Sorry... who's Al Jourgensen?

^ You've heard of Ministry right BP? Come on! RevCo!

Sure people are influenced by musicians etc. but most people have grasped the concept of right and wrong no? If you're gonna pop a cap in someone's ass b/c you heard it in a rap song maybe there is something wrong with you. Just my opinion.

If you want to spend your whole time listening to song about gennelmen's clubs, booty booty booty booty ass jiggle jigglin etc. then you've got something wrong with you as well. Just a thought.

I agree. Can we stop saying booty now? I hate that word. Is it even a real word?

It sure is! Check out most rap songs. They use it at least 50 times.

So I've noticed..haha..

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I cant stand rap.
    Everyone says metal isnt real music, and while yes that is a valid opinion I think Rap/Hip Hop is a load of shit. It gets played constantly on the radio, and at times has no actual instruments in it (unless you include synthesizers).
    I hear people tell me they cant understand the lyrics in a Deathstars song for example.
    But at least they use real words unlike half the slang used in rap to make the words flow better.
    And Deathstars can spell. there are rap "artists" who use words like soulja (soldier) or think its cool to just drop letters (flo rida, for example), the my boss said the guy from Assemblage 23 (yes he uses a synthesizer, but its more than a kindergarten drumbeat or distortion on their voice) is the one making up words.
    Her examples where "cascading", "Transitory", "Shard" and "Gaze".
    This is an example of people who are losing IQ points from listening to rap/hip hop, as well as being ignorant, arrogant and frankly quite stupid they lack common sense.
    Now I am sure that there are people out there who do listwen to hip hop/rap and sound nothing like what I am ranting on about, but I havent met them.

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

my favorite rap cds are:

gangsta dre - inner city poet and brotha lynch hung - loaded.

probably a bit different than what most people think of when they hear the word "rap"

+ Reply to Thread