+ Reply to Thread

Thread: User names

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

Default User names

Just out of curiosity why did you pick the user names you use?
    I got Dusk because I have been told Im quiet, dark but can be fun (and dont the crazies come out at night?)
    I also have the name MidNighter, in reference to one of my favorite trilogy of books, the Midnighter trilogy by Scott Westerfeld

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

Default Re: User names

trying random user names for a global ezboard account years ago. i had to check back what i had typed. but the name stuck as my behaviour can be a little strange at times.

there's more people who know me as head wreck, wreck, or wreckie than they do by my proper name tbh.

J. Babington's Avatar Wanderer Of The Internet

My User Name is well kinda my real name so I mean the J. is for james.
    BUT for my cosplay site my name is Ghost In The Me. i use that because its a kinda anime name
    My name for most this is GDI7007.
    i used that back in the day when I played the old C&C when they had the multiplay thing.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I took the name Mystoo back in high school when I first read Tom Wolfe's Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.
    'The general mysto steam began rising in my head...if there is something startling enough, fearful, awesome, strange,or just weird enough, something I sense I can't cope with, it is as if I go on Red Alert and the fogging steam starts...'

TheCosmicSheriff's Avatar If I could, would I?

The Cosmic Sheriff and Vladamir his incoherent side kick, was a club persona from the 90's. Wore cowboy hat and lazertag guns on the side of my hip. Way too much crystal.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i could say that its the name of a character from a rpg-the forgotten realms to be exact. the last name is tassabræ, which came from a forgotten realms novel. in her various incarnations she was either tiefling rogue or an elf, with cloudy ancestry.

but thats not the whole story. i guess i should start with its being derived from the name 'asa' that i saw on a lot of tombstones one day. but i was never sure how to pronounce that. then i fell in love w asia argento and how she says her first name...

i once said that the name is actually a symbol; it is. originally it was something that was meant to be unpronounceable-unspeakable. anathema as it were(Anathema Maranatha in full). it is mentioned in the bible(1 corinthians 16:22) but it actually had an earlier usage: "it was the curse pronounced by the Goddess, Mari-Anath, on her dying god." loosely transliterated it means, "the bridegroom cometh." the quotes are from the book, "the woman's enclopedia of myths and secrets" by barbara g. walker. i was using it as a primary source for a college research paper when i came across this info.

on the same page as the entry for Anathema, there is an illustration of St. Andrew's cross, which is basiclly a big X. i think the two entries i had recently see in the book inspired a dreamin which i saw a big X w 2 little dots in the corners. how the dots became the letter "A" isnt exactly clear. it also has an association to what i was researching at the time: another Great Goddess. her name is unknown, we only know it began with the letter A. this relates back to the other Goddess, Mari-Anatha or mary anne.yup, i know im sounding a bit heretical here, but that is where the name came from. ive tried to leave out the more religious aspects of it, i hope this much was okay tho...

now recenty ive been noticing others using the name-corporations, in other games, etc. but at the time, i made it up and thought it was unique. ive been using it since around the year 2000.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

I ride Harleys (no car), fix Harleys, customize Harleys, and I'm into Goth and punk.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

My bestest buddies are cats who both have but one eye (I adopt only oecs) May be a third in the works

edwinalink's Avatar Junior Member

he invented airplane stuff, i liked how his name sounded... story over!

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

Quote Originally Posted by J. Babington
    My name for most this is GDI7007.
    i used that back in the day when I played the old C&C when they had the multiplay thing.
    NOD FTW! ,..

anyway... my username is kinda an accident.. it was originally suppose to be "Senor Diablo" based off the character from johnny the homicidal maniac... but i made a typo and it became "Senior Diablo"..like senior citizen..kinda funny i guess and i just kept it..and the underscore came from just having to use it at the time because spaces werent allowed on livejournal.. so i always just use an underscore even if spaces are allowed...

Lilly's Avatar Member

I picked Lilly because that's the name I use alot in real life - note it's not my real name but it's the name I do my stripping and the amount of modelling my boss can convince me to do under - I am notoriously camera shy.

I picked that name because it is similar to mine (easy to remember) short, simple and makes me sound innocent and demure (as drewblood once pointed out) which works well with my looks.

It's also the name I use on receipts at my sales job - considering I strip a few doors down from my sales position I'm not comfortable having my real name on receipts and my boss was very understanding about that.

That's right I currently have 3 jobs (though only working one for another months til my arm heals), I'm working on a graduate degree and keeping up with my social commitments - which reminds me I need to post on 4th Ed D&D

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I suck at picking usernames, I would rather go by my real name. I think all of my old usernames I had my friends pick out for me, and they were really dumb, but I ended up using them for years.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

Its my paintball handle name, which is become less and less true as I get older. Bacchus...over due for change...

Vaughn's Avatar Walking Sucker Punch...
    Remember that hole you dug in the yard that time?

I was born with mine so...it sorta stuck.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I think I just picked it at random, I don't remember. it really doesn't have any meaning, there's a band that has the same name and I was most likely listening to them at the time.

it does have a poetic syntax to it though. two words, two syllables each, both have the "or" sound in the middle, and the first ending in "g" and the second beginning in "g", and the "y" and "I" making opposites almost like a mirror.

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

Muppet Treasure Island

Lilly's Avatar Member

Ummm Morning Glory does have a meaning - maybe not related to your username or why you picked it but morning glory is the term commonly used (atleast here) to describe a guys state in the morning. His state of well excitement?

that's freakin awesome. I had no idea. How appropriate

Oh course it has several meanings, but not to me or this context, is what I meant.

But I do like finding out unknown meanings to things, especially if they are contextually relevant. it's fun.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

lived in venice (italy) years ago (20 +/-) my Italian friends started calling me this... it kinda rhymes, and the Italians are fond of rhyming... it stuck

to bad i can't use it to dodge taxes...

Quote Originally Posted by Senior_Diablo
    ..and the underscore came from just having to use it at the time because spaces werent allowed...
    kind of the same reason i have the *dot*

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessBill
    Muppet Treasure Island
    genius

I remembered that about you HB from the last time we had this thread.

but I like the idea of recreating it once a year or so.

If you mean.."Jackass", that wasn't so much my user name as it is an general greeting when I enter a room.

sickybuaaaaa's Avatar Mistress of asskickery

I used mine once for some unimportant account on a webpage that I can no longer remember. I later used it again, but I have no idea why, since it's utterly silly . I'd change it, but I use it too much for too many different services now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCosmicSheriff
    The Cosmic Sheriff and Vladamir his incoherent side kick, was a club persona from the 90's. Wore cowboy hat and lazertag guns on the side of my hip. Way too much crystal.
    wish i had seen that! which armpit of california do you mean? there are two

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

Quote Originally Posted by jonny.illuminati
    kind of the same reason i have the *dot*
    underscore is better..lol...jk

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

I chose mine as it is my favourite tribe from the old White Wolf Werewolf rpg. When I first got it, (the game) and saw all the different glyphs for the tribes, I liked the Black Spiral Dancer one the most, so much that it was the first tattoo that I got.

Of course, now they have ditched the whole tribe for the new game, after apparently wiping them out.

They've also gotten rid of my favourite Vampire clan as well, the Malkavians. They'e perverted them into a disease that any vampire can get, instead of a distinct clan in their own right.

Malkavian = vampire STD?

I have to admit I played that game once or twice... I found the Malkav types to be those who kinda act like Jim Carrey on a caffeine/crack bender.

They're supposed to be mentally ill, not douchebags.

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

I always felt I would have to play a Malkavian like I was the Joker.

I'm running a game at the moment (using the old setting) and the players are being watched over by my old Malk character. He has an embraced wolf as his companion, and is obsessed with books. That is his derangement. He controls the wolf, so most of the time it uses Obfusicate 2 so you don't see it. It only appears on command from him. He is seems at first glance to be normal.

I also had a BSD/Malk Abomination who each game session change personality, and thought he was various superheroes. He was Batman, the Tick, Punisher and the last time he was played Nightwing.

Sorry to have hi-jacked the thread. Please, continue.

rikosaka's Avatar ChorizoSmells

My name is Rik and I live in Osaka, Japan, so it's pretty straight forward, not very exciting. But I use it a lot for other forums so it turns up several hits on Google, mainly my Youtube stuff.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

just my name

I took 'Razor' from the name of a model in one of those old ultragory 3D shooter games from a decade or so ago. I was 11-12 then and there was no association with actual razorblades and their place in alternative culture. Then I aged a few years and eventually wanted something that was more like a name (and less like a silly 'badass' word), and changed it to Raza.

I've since quite fallen in love with the name - the sound, length, way it looks written down, etcetera - but that might just be narcissism on my part. Either way, I've been using it to introduce myself in real life as well for years now, and it's what everyone but my family and a few oddball old friends knows me as.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I just read the new Keys to the Kingdom book (Superior Saturday) by Garth Nix and I remembered that Each "Trustee" (Named after a day of the week) has 3 main lieutenants Called Mourning, Noon and Dusk, e.g Fridays Dusk.
    I was re-reading them at the Time I joined this forum, so I might have been thinking of that at the same time.
    But they are good books, so go read them.

DonkeyMoses's Avatar Senior Member

I couldn't even begin to explain it. The full title is actually The Abraham Lincoln Donkey Moses. It used to be Bullpuppet all over the place, (still is on rnyspace) because I have a spoken-word noise and drum band called Bull Seal! and my wife and I make puppets as Puppet Meat Market. (I figured Bullpuppet was beter than Sealmeat) I got sick of that one and went for something that's had a bit of an evolution.

mine is all ameila's fault.

+ Reply to Thread