+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wierd foods you tried on a whim?

Default Re: Wierd foods you tried on a whim?

Quote Originally Posted by Preach
    I think there's not that much left, that i haven't gotten a bite of...
    I had cow, horse, pig, chicken, turkey, wild boar, calamari, whale and seal (very common in Norway), in China I had cat and dog, eels and snakes, in France frogs and some grapevine snails, in Africa various types of insects and antilope, in Australia a kangaroo's tail and something that seemed to be a Koala (but to be honest, i didn't even dare to ask) as well as Ostrich and Shark, and in Argentina (I think it was Argentina) I had Guinea Pig on a stick...
    But that's nothing compared to Haggis...
    Out of curiosity, what do you do , that you get to travel around the world so much?

Let me know If that info is classified

koolagh's Avatar Resident Barbarian

Well since I grew up three miles from a swamp (Yes I am from Louisiana) there really isn't much on this list that we don't eat regullarly back home. About the only things I have ever eaten that made people question my sanity were Turkey bacon and peanut butter on whole wheat toast and mini Nestle Crunch bars with salsa.
    Still love the looks on the faces of people who have never eaten boiled crawfish when they see the eyes looking back at em. Have eaten rat (sorta) there was a big push a few years back to get us in Louisiana to eat Nutria Rats. Have eaten Emu, great meat, even though it comes from a bird, every piece tastes like ribeye. Chicken feet, cow tongue, cow brains. We even have this nice dish we prepare that is basically the Cajun version of Haggis, Cowboy stew which is all the organ meats. Have even swallowed live goldfish on a dare. Blood boudin (basically a pork sausage made with rice, oniions, and fresh hog blood) Gods, I could go on forever, but I am sure I have made some of you seriously doubt you will ever visit Louisiana again. BTW, Forrest, that probably wasn't real alligator you ate, vendors are notorious for frying up chicken with different spices and calling it alligator. Ever want real gator, drop me a line next time the crew shows up in New Orleans, will try to get you hooked up with the real thing.

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

blood pudding (or black pudding) is only nice if fried. so many people eat it straight from the fridge. now, i love the taste of blood as much as the next pervert but congealed pig blood with lumps of white fat it aint my thing... and NEVER say yes if someone offers you 'gray paes and bacon' (sic) it's a black country local dish and bloody horrible. it makes chick peas taste like chocolate.

Peanut Butter On Steak, In Mint Ice Cream.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Preach
    I think there's not that much left, that i haven't gotten a bite of...
    I had cow, horse, pig, chicken, turkey, wild boar, calamari, whale and seal (very common in Norway), in China I had cat and dog, eels and snakes, in France frogs and some grapevine snails, in Africa various types of insects and antilope, in Australia a kangaroo's tail and something that seemed to be a Koala (but to be honest, i didn't even dare to ask) as well as Ostrich and Shark, and in Argentina (I think it was Argentina) I had Guinea Pig on a stick...
    But that's nothing compared to Haggis...
    My mother actually likes haggis. I remember having a small bite of her food one time we went to Scotland, but I was really young and have apparently repressed the taste. As I recall, I didn't care for it.

Mother Superior

My grandmother makes a Spanish dish called Menudo, it has cows stomach lining in it, also known as tripe. I used to eat the hominy in it when I was little, that meat just didn't look right. Although it had the flavor in the broth, I hadn't thought of that when I was so young.. yikes. I won't eat it now, haven't in 25 years.

postcoital's Avatar Curiously Strong Altoid

tadpoles

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Are cow eyballs adventurous enough cus theyre actualy quite tasty

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Quote Originally Posted by suicide doll
    gato burritos (cat burritos) Juarez,Mexico
    u sure it was cat cus my uncle runs a restaurant over there and they like to mess around with the turists

Mountain Oysters AKA Pig Nuts...I think
    Calamari AKA Squid
    Escargo
    Many Diff types of Snake (Rattlesnake has the best taste)
    Chitterlings AKA Pig Intestine...
    Crawfish (If your in Louisiana You gotta try ya some Mud Dogs....They are good)

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

I've tried quite a few of the foods mentioned. I love haggis, it's just a savoury porridge-type meal that is put in a sheep's stomach and stewed like a Christmas pudding.

I haven't tried menudo, but i would. I've just been told to hold my nose because the smell would put me off. Here in my hometown we have a thing called the Testicle Festival, and let me just say that balls can taste delicious.

Blood sausage and pudding are on my only-if-drunk-and-dared list.

By far the most disgusting food i've ever tasted is natto. It's a fermented soy bean, porridgey mess that the Japanese often serve for breakfast. It's like eating big sticky ropes of snot that smell like barf. I gagged at the first bite, and simply could not go on.

~Histrionica~

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Gator is actually quite good. esp if the particualr garor in question hasn't eaten many ppl or pets. my grandmaput hot sauce on her cheese cake and nacho cheese sauce on her vanilla ice cream. but then again she was slowly losing her mind too.i've never been very adventurous when it comes to food. heck the one time we ordered a sushi platter it was my turn to try th unidentifiable peice. it turned out to be halibut or soemthing but lords it was nasty. actually ate pickled ginger for teh first time that. i'll stil leat pickled ginger, but i'll never eat that halibut or mackeral or whatever it was again.
    K

Absinth_minded's Avatar Junior Member

I don't remember much of it, but supposedly this guy sliced off a chunck of flesh from his arm, fried it with butter and then he and two of his friends ate it. I ran into the kitchen as this was happening and insisted on trying whatever it was they were making.
    This was the last time I combined hasch with amphetamine.

graecona's Avatar Member

...fried cow intestines... or chicharong bulaklak... as we called it here in our country....

koolagh's Avatar Resident Barbarian

"Crawfish (If your in Louisiana You gotta try ya some Mud Dogs....They are good)"
    Don't you mean mud bugs? Mud Dogs are salamanders.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I ordered a bunch of weird stuff from the Brazilian place down the street. Coxina is deep fried shredded chicken and cheese in a breaded dough. I thought I'd love that, but it turns out that I found it kinda icky. The Croquete de Camarao, which was essentially fried shrimp and cheese, was yummy though. The Kibe are interesting. They are bite sized things made with bulghar wheat, ground beef, and a bunch of spices.

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

hmmm - kinda reminds me of spinach and cheese curry - the cheese is actually fried and the whole thing is surprisingly delicious. it can be hard to get hold of though, as it's a pakistani speciality.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by vixta
    hmmm - kinda reminds me of spinach and cheese curry - the cheese is actually fried and the whole thing is surprisingly delicious. it can be hard to get hold of though, as it's a pakistani speciality.
    I'm sure lots of people would love that, but oh my god does that sound disgusting to me. Spinach seriously makes me gag. I don't know why, but it just doesn't belong in my body.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    I'm sure lots of people would love that, but oh my god does that sound disgusting to me. Spinach seriously makes me gag. I don't know why, but it just doesn't belong in my body.
    Spinach is almost edible if you put lots of other stuff to drown out the type of spinach flavor.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    Spinach is almost edible if you put lots of other stuff to drown out the type of spinach flavor.
    Fresh oregano takes the bite out of spinach. You can use the spice jar stuff too, it just doesn't smell as nice, but it makes even the boiled crap (a la school lunch) remotely edible.
    K

Histrionica's Avatar Hardhearted Hellion

I loooove spinach - even the nasty frozen kind. My favourite is fresh baby spinach, but it makes my teeth feel hairy after i eat it.

~Histrionica~

I've eaten the prerequisite alligator, frog legs, etc.
    But some of the weirder stuff I've tried is...
    Sea Squirt innards
    Cod sperm sack
    Lungfish liver
    Rattlesnake Ice Cream
    Silkworms, crickets, scorpions, mealworms, ants, etc
    Frog back
    Shark fin soup
    Hundred year old eggs
    I'm sure I'm forgettin' something

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

Kangaroo Burgers, Wild Boar Burgers, Crocodile burgers.
    There is a farm up here that keeps "exotic" animals as livestock. They do Osterich as well, but I didn't try that.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    My grandmother makes a Spanish dish called Menudo, it has cows stomach lining in it, also known as tripe. I used to eat the hominy in it when I was little, that meat just didn't look right. Although it had the flavor in the broth, I hadn't thought of that when I was so young.. yikes. I won't eat it now, haven't in 25 years.
    Menudo huh? Isn't that the band Ricky Martin used to be in when he was a kid?
    Anyway, you people are adventurous to say the least. I can't even bring myself to try sushi. I've been soooooooo close so many times but i just can't do it. I will one day though, I eat just about everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    Kangaroo Burgers, Wild Boar Burgers, Crocodile burgers.
    There is a farm up here that keeps "exotic" animals as livestock. They do Osterich as well, but I didn't try that.
    You're lucky, the only wild game I can get around here is buffalo, osterich and the occassional venison.
    I've always wanted to try Roo.

Black Spiral Dancer's Avatar RedHead Admirer Supreme!

'Roo tastes a little like beef but with a touch of pork as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Spiral Dancer
    'Roo tastes a little like beef but with a touch of pork as well.
    Hmm, that's what they say about humans too :P

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

BBQ Maggots
    Rattlesnake
    Emu

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Oooooohhh yea....I ate maggots once! Not on purpose though. Got partway through a chocolate bar (now the infamous 'Maggot Bar') before I even realized IT WAS ALIVE!!!!!!

rikosaka's Avatar ChorizoSmells

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    Menudo huh? Isn't that the band Ricky Martin used to be in when he was a kid?
    Anyway, you people are adventurous to say the least. I can't even bring myself to try sushi. I've been soooooooo close so many times but i just can't do it. I will one day though, I eat just about everything else.

I love menudo, even my wife who is Japanese loves it. Luckily in my hometown in Texas they serve it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in California you are lucky to find a place that serves it only on sunday.

I had raw whale meat, very good but very oily. My wife loves sea urchin and natto, I have never had it, same with something called Sazae, it looks like a raw pigs tail in a big shell. I see raw horse meat at the sushi place, the one that has the little plates that go by on a little conveyor belt. Never had the guts to try it.

Does human blood count? Once during a blood fetish shoot my model was bleeding all over the bathtub and on the other models, she was drinking some of her blood from her arm, I had a lick, kinda sweet.

I think she trumps all of you on this weird food, although it isn't really food. She had some body mod done, her labias were cut off, they were shortened. She kept them and fried one and ate it herself. I found out about it much later, didn't really surprise me.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

you people are sickos!
    (i love you all

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

I'm with Amelia here. I'll try anything once. And I've made it my mission to have on of each of god's little creatures in my mouth before I die.

My most exotic that I can think of that hasn't been mentioned yet was kangaroo. Mmmm-mmm that's good eatin'.

Unforgiven's Avatar Junior Member

I've eaten Llama once upon a time, if I remember correctly it wasn't bad.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

Oh god damnit it was mentioned. Stupid second page!

my mum once told me a story when i was a kid about the weirdest thing she ever ate. im not sure how truthful she was being tho..it was called "long pig." ever since, ive wanted to try it.

i bite my fingers and chew on my lips. i find the taste of my own flesh quite tasty. so, why not someone else's? not sure about how to cook it tho...

TheCosmicSheriff's Avatar If I could, would I?

Quote Originally Posted by aXa
    i find the taste of my own flesh quite tasty. so, why not someone else's? not sure about how to cook it tho...
    with some fava beans and a nice Chianti of course!

Im sure I have had Cat, dog, and horse.

I ate a live frog on a bet once.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I remember one night being extremely drunk in Montana. There was a local 24/7 greasy spoon. One of the "specials" was "brains and eggs". It really didn't dawn on me until I starting eating that it was, in fact, cow brains and eggs. I was a bit queasy for a few days. I did finish the brains knowing I was eating them. I would suppose it should count.

OEC

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

- choc covered ants
    - tequlia worm
    - emu (yum)
    - water buffalo (yuk)
    - crocodile (yuk)
    - wild boar (okay)
    - kangaroo (my fave)

actually had buffalo or bison steaks the other night. they were quite yummy.

evilstonermonkey's Avatar Please don't run away...
    New Kiwiland, subtle rulers of all the world.

ill try anything once. if i had the option to try a strange food, i would (assuming it wouldnt cost me too much, anyway). here in australia there is the 'Coat of Arms' pie, which is kangaroo and emu meat, though i have only heard of it, havent found anywhere that sells it yet. not really that strange though, eating 'roo or 'mu isnt exactly common but its far from rare as well.

another thing ive had (and loved) was fruit and nut bread (kashmiri naan) with curry. odd flavour combinations ftw!

+ Reply to Thread