+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: where and what were you doing when bin Laden's skunks blew up the WTC?

graecona's Avatar Member

Default where and what were you doing when bin Laden's skunks blew up the WTC?

The first time I heard of 9/11 we were still on a vacation abroad ... I was in my hotel room watching TV when the news flashed on the screen... I was so shocked when I saw video clips of men jumping out of the windows... Morbid...

Mother Superior

Default Re: where and what were you doing when bin Laden's skunks blew up the WTC?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/08/....ap/index.html

I was asleep, it was my day off from work.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Default Re: where and what were you doing when bin Laden's skunks blew up the WTC?

i was geting ready for school and i stumpled into the living room in my underwear to watch Good Day LA and as soon as i tuned in, the seacond tower got hit and i was like holy shit this is hapenning for real? because at first i thought it was a movie. this event is like the JFK assasination for my dad, evryone remembers where and what they were doing

vixta's Avatar rabid mutterings
    a red light district in the west midlands, uk

my boyfriend and i were talking, as on that day i found out i was six months pregnant. by my ex. talk about problems being put into perspective

Vempyrik's Avatar (Advocatus diaboli)

i think i was tormenting the bus driver.. and didnt find out or care even when i did find out

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

I watched the whole thing on TV....I was like whoa it's finally happening....someone has had enough

I was wondering the halls of one of my old high schools... I believe I was supposed to be in Health Care class. That eveing I watched my sister ball her eyes out while watching it on TV.

Slave326667's Avatar Slave & Master.

Still awake, and when I saw it come on I was like "OH SHIT!" then I ran into the kitchen "This calls for funyuns!" Then I sat back down and enjoyed myself... with funyuns.

I was asleep at college...I didnt have to be up till 12:00am...My dad called and woke me and my room mate up (I was living in the dorms at the time)We turned it on just about 30 seconds before the second plane hit...I remember saying to my room mate "What the hell is with the plane in the background flying so Low..Then it hit the Tower...I skipped all my classes that Day as did most of the students on campus...I stayed glued to the TV...I couldnt believe what I was seeing...

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/08/....ap/index.html

I was asleep, it was my day off from work.
    same here cept it was 6 in the morning and i didn't have to be up til 7 for school

postcoital's Avatar Curiously Strong Altoid

I suffered from a massive hangover

Hula Hoop Supervisor

In bed...kicking away a hand telling me to wake up after saying "a plane hit the WTC!"...I figured it was a lil cessna.

Needless to say when I did wake up and saw NYC covered in thick smoke..I was shocked...and sadly it got a whole lot worse after that.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Forrest and I had just pulled an all-nighter working on site stuff and we were watching Sesame Street to relax. Then we flipped channels when the people came on because we mostly just like the puppets. There was this crazy disaster movie on, where planes were demolishing stuff in New York. Kind of slow-moving plot but the special effects were so good that I was surprised I didn't recognize it from commercial trailers.

Then we hit the info button on the remote and saw that it was the news.

Caligula's Avatar Senior Member

I was drinking a nice cup of coffee when one of my editors phoned me up to tell me to put the TV on, adding 'I think the end is nigh!' In retrospect I think he was overreacting a little.

Gothickitty's Avatar Meow, Listen to me Purrrr

I was asleep. My husband called and said turn on the TV. I then called and woke up my parents. Very wierd day!

Belladonna's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gothickitty
    I was asleep. My husband called and said turn on the TV. I then called and woke up my parents. Very wierd day!
    sounds like me. i then kept my kids home from school.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Belladonna
    sounds like me. i then kept my kids home from school.
    my mom didint keep me from school all we did was watch the news all day

nausiatingpain's Avatar Senior Member

I woke up around 9am and looked at the headlines on Yahoo! News like I normally do. One of them said something like "Plane hits World Trade Center." I figured it was an accident. A few minutes later my mom calls me and tells me both towers were hit, one fell, and a plane hit the Pentagon. I flipped on the TV for a few minutes and watched, then I had to go to work. I worked in Philly at the time, so I was a little scared at having to drive into a big city that morning.

devilmutt's Avatar Senior Member

i had just got off active duty with the marine corps...and was at my new "civillian job"....i was at the time and am still with a reserve unit so i went straight home and started packing up my gear.

i knew for sure we would be going, i got the envitable call saying we were on stand-by but my unit has to this day not been activated....my wife and family were needless to say a little freaked out about it at the time.

CeruleanFire's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmeliaG
    Forrest and I had just pulled an all-nighter working on site stuff and we were watching Sesame Street to relax. Then we flipped channels when the people came on because we mostly just like the puppets. There was this crazy disaster movie on, where planes were demolishing stuff in New York. Kind of slow-moving plot but the special effects were so good that I was surprised I didn't recognize it from commercial trailers.

Then we hit the info button on the remote and saw that it was the news.
    thats kinda weird, cause I was on Cape Cod, and had been out partying all night. We woke up, and the TV was on, we were both wondering what the hell movie was that (we had the sound off) and the cell phone started to ring. it was a family member, saying that my sister in law had made it out alive (she was on her to way to work, and the subway was evacuated, and as she came up out of the tunnel, the towers were coming down, and she started to run) I dont think we fully understood for a little while longer, that the horror movie we thought we watching was real....

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

I was sleeping and the cable guy woke me up. He asked if I had heard about it and didnt, so flipped on the tv, so me and the cable guy watched it for a bit.

Then I thought, stupid smug Americans. Someone was tired of the shit.

darki's Avatar darki must die

I've been online, playing counterstrike...
    ...as a terrorist.

Belladonna's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    my mom didint keep me from school all we did was watch the news all day
    sorry. if i was your mom you would have stayed home.

YouMakeMeWanna000's Avatar Member

i was in disney land paris, in my hotel, in my bathroom, masturbating...see thats how well i remember....

grebo's Avatar Senior Member

because im in australia it was around 11pm, i was playing command and conquer on an old playstation, and a guy came in telling me to put the tv back on. soon as we realised what was happening we put a video in and taped about 4 hours, so we got the second plane and the collapse. i was sitting there thinking "i hope its someone from the usa (like timothy mcveigh)is doing this or world war 3 is gunna happen"
    from another country it got real boring real quick, nothing but the same shit repeated over and over again for 5 days. americans crying, getting angry, wanting revenge blah blah blah.
    the best article i saw was months later, it was by a fireman who was there, it was in the punk zine "heartattack."

we had a bunch of mainly aussie tourists blown up months later in Bali (denpisar) which is an island above australia where all the tourists go. its a bit like when americans go south of the border and go mental.

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

I was on the freeway on my way to work, I called my wife and told her to get up and watch the news. I worked for chase manhattan at that time and the main offices were right down the street. We were slammed with their extra work for weeks.

corachaos's Avatar Dorky Girl

I was at school in the news room, I saw the second plane hit, live.
    Then I spent several hours trying to find my NYC friends.
    It was a very bad day.

graecona's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slave326667
    Still awake, and when I saw it come on I was like "OH SHIT!" then I ran into the kitchen "This calls for funyuns!" Then I sat back down and enjoyed myself... with funyuns.
    ...that's hilarious , i thought you were about to call your mom when you ran itno the kitchen...

HempKnight's Avatar Large Member

I was dead ass asleep after an all-nighter in the studio do some re-mastering for a local group and I sleep with the TV on as it is.
    (after moving from the BIG city to the 'burbs, it's a lil' too quiet for me)

I woke up with a chest pain, like I was having a heart attack and looked up to see the second plane hit... I was like 'Oh fuck, this can't be good...'

I jumped online and looked for people I know, everything was a buzz.. servers overloading and everything, phone services all fucked up...

Then the debates started over who was responsible and whatnot.. blame was cast and shit started breaking out locally.. just outside of Detroit there is a large Islamic population and people had decided to take matters into their own hands.

Mob scenes and more violence...

People kept asking how could this happen here... my question was why did it take so long to happen here. For anyone else anywhere else in the world, this was a common event.. I had been in Germany when the disco bombings were going on and England when IRA car bombings were quite common. People in the rest of the world were used to looking over their shoulder and wondering what's next, am I going to die going to work on a daily basis.

It was the wake up call that America needed, unfortunately at a great expense, we were no longer the Big Bad... the Superpower bully and world dominator. With all the millitary and hardware at our disposal, it only took a group of well executed zealots to bring the country to it's knees. The government had become lax, the cold war was over and the Soviets were no longer a threat, they had no bad guys.. no lurking Red Menace to fear... and just with the attack on Pearl Harbor, they KNEW this was coming and did nothing about it. Hey, nothing better for a presidental rating spike than national tragedy...

But enough of my rambling.... that was my 9/11

(oh yeah, the chest pain was just heartburn and acid reflux... too much coffee and Taco Bell late at night)

Nudemuse's Avatar Queen of all Fatassia.

I was dead asleep then stumbled to work around noon. I work for a telcom company that is always noisy during the day and it was dead silent. I thought maybe someone in the company had been hurt but then saw the television was on in my department and we were all just kind of standing there. I sat at a desk and cried.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by HempKnight
    .. and just with the attack on Pearl Harbor, they KNEW this was coming and did nothing about it. Hey, nothing better for a presidental rating spike than national tragedy...
    Actually historical evidence has proven that their was no grand conspiracy that the U.S. Government KNEW the attack was coming and let it happen...warning simply arrived too late due to improperly maintained channels, bad luck, and protocal of the day. Investigation after investigation has proved this...but popular myth keeps this "fact" alive.

Where alot of this came from was the delayed warning that arrived after the attack was well underway...the status of the carrier fleet at sea and the massive amount of failures that lead to the surprise.

But like many historians have said...it's an easier truth for the public to believe. It'd an interesting story that'd far more involved than many give credit for. What it does highlight though is the insane red tape that goes with Embassy's AND the international laws that govern them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    Actually historical evidence has proven that their was no grand conspiracy that the U.S. Government KNEW the attack was coming and let it happen...warning simply arrived too late due to improperly maintained channels, bad luck, and protocal of the day. Investigation after investigation has proved this...but popular myth keeps this "fact" alive.

Where alot of this came from was the delayed warning that arrived after the attack was well underway...the status of the carrier fleet at sea and the massive amount of failures that lead to the surprise.

But like many historians have said...it's an easier truth for the public to believe. It'd an interesting story that'd far more involved than many give credit for. What it does highlight though is the insane red tape that goes with Embassy's AND the international laws that govern them.
    I wasn't actually stating that there was a conspiracy of the government to let it happen... but the fact they knew it was coming doing little to prepare for it (as usual).

The results of Japan conquering Manchuria in 1931, trying to take over the rest of China and becoming allied with Nazi Germany in 1940 and occupying all of Indochina early the next year. The US dumped money into China in support against the Japanese, cutting off their suppy lines and an embargo of their oil as well. Japan knew that taking over Southeast Asia would result in a war with the US and the US had the intel knowing what was going on.

Hours before dawn, Navy vessels spotted an unidentified submarine periscope near the entrance to Pearl Harbor, attacking and sinking it. At 7:00 a.m., an Army radar station at Opana spotted the approaching first wave of the attack force. The officers to those reports were relayed did not consider them significant to take action. The report of the submarine sinking was handled routinely, and the radar sighting was passed off as an approaching group of American planes due to arrive that morning.

The Navy's communications intelligence effort started in 1924, extracting both radio and traffic intelligence from foreign military, commercial, and diplomatic communications, which, by 1937, could clearly see the military, political, and even the international implications of effective cryptography and successful cryptanalysis.

Being an organization plagued by shortages in money, manpower, and equipment, total absence of a secure, dedicated communications system, little real support or tasking from higher command authorities, and major imbalances between collection and processing capabilities.

And had Navy cryptanalysts been ordered to concentrate more on the Japanese naval messages rather than diplomatic traffic, the US would have had a much clearer picture of the Japanese military buildup and, with the warning provided by these messages, might have avoided the disaster of Pearl Harbor.

So the US wasn't completely in the dark about what was going to happen, they just didn't know to what extent it would be or when exactly. Just misplaced and misdirected efforts by the government as usual.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

So the US wasn't completely in the dark about what was going to happen, they just didn't know to what extent it would be or when exactly. Just misplaced and misdirected efforts by the government as usual.
    That's the thing though it was not the misplaced efforts of the government...it was the attack plan itself.

People in the know could see the writing on the wall in terms of Japan and their expansion into Asia and what it meant to the U.S. None of that was a great shock to the educated and informed americans of the time. Many mubbled about that something was bound to clash given the vested interest the U.S. had in various pacific islands.

Cryptanalysis was in it's infancy at the time so it's no real shock it got so little attention and support...it would not be till the efforts across the pond showed results that it would be put to greater and more effective use. As far as the radar report...one thing that is often left out is that though it picked up the attack wave and was mistaken for expected U.S. Bombers...the system was still faulty since it was such a new technology. It was rare for reports from the place to even take priority. The Sub sunk has been a huge subject of debate and personally I've seen little to confim any sides of the issue...they simply range too far in both intent and events.

However with military stratagists picking every place BUT Pearl Harbor as the main point of a first attack it really threw the systems in place way off the mark. Only a select few with little influence to change the minds of the moment seeing Pearl as a major target for a first strike. As far as Washington was concerned war would be declared and an attack in the south pacific would follow. Many felt the Philippines would be the first target.

The Carriers were already "At War" as far as their captians and admirals were concered though and kept that policy as soon as they shipped out before the attack. Those on board already considered Japan an immediate threat.

It just keeps lining up as a case of standard doctrine being followed with hindsight tainting it's image. This would not be the last time it would happen in the war and it's a damn shame the system in place faultered. It did however change as a result...it's easy to lay this all on the government but one has to be realistic in that the people who are set up to support the government can drop the ball as well. Once you get to a cabinet level you're dealing with filtered and refined information...and if it initally is screwed up then it's like trying to look at the whole sky with one eye through a telescope.

As far as doing little to prepare...the Pacific Theatre was simply not a priority with England needing U.S. ships and supplies. That was a clear priority for the government and it's top talent...rightly so given the events of the time...The Wolf Packs...German control of a huge chunk of Europe...and all hell breaking loose across North Africa and the Mid East...the question of who would control the oil fields alone was enough to take the top strategists of the day away from anything related to Japan.

It's the events and focus on Europe that really cloud why Japan was such a low priority at the time and something rather ignored until recently...

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Sound asleep with dreams of using my Universal annual passes when the phone rings and it's his mom telling us to turn on the news. It's NEVER a good thing when she wakes us up. Never.
    K

"I am NOT a Nazi!"

TZ, there are many points, myths and details we could discuss, argue, debate and pontificate.
    But I will not waste the time or server space making this thread an off-topic trainwreck.
    Just glad to see that there is someone else who has more of an interest in history other than what Hollywood says it is.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

TZ, there are many points, myths and details we could discuss, argue, debate and pontificate.
    But I will not waste the time or server space making this thread an off-topic trainwreck.
    Just glad to see that there is someone else who has more of an interest in history other than what Hollywood says it is.
    HAHAHAH...true enough man true enough. Yeah History was the only real subject I ever got A's in..it's fun stuff, sad it's sold so dry in schools.

killerkat's Avatar Malice?

Quote Originally Posted by Slave326667
    hahahha that awsome...damn awsome

MidniteCliche's Avatar Senior Member

That was the morning that my father died, so I was in the emergency/life-support rooms when the planes hit, and when I wasn't in the there, I was in the waiting rooms watching the towers colapse on CNN. (not that I really cared or paid much attention, as I was pre-occupied.)

purplepixie's Avatar Senior Member

i got back from school when i heard the next day or week or something we had to do an write and perform a mini play so we did one about that for a drama lessons me and my friend were news reporters at the scene this lad craig was supposed to jump off the stage blocks and pretend to die he didnt we were like craig jump you twat and everyone laughed at us.......................oh well now you all think im a cold hard bitch it was just to far away for me to take much interest

i was at collage going, "of course they did" in a condisending voice.

on a side point, didi anyone see a documentry called the hamberg cell, the story of 9/11 from a hijackers point of veiw?

I was amazed, amazed at how something so life changing, could be made so fucking dull. i could have been watching porn and actually learned somehting usefull.....

+ Reply to Thread