+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guns for Texas school's teachers okayed

Default Guns for Texas school's teachers okayed

Teachers in one part of the US state of Texas are to be allowed to carry concealed firearms when the new school term opens this month.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7564654.stm

Great idea or disaster in waiting?

GnArKiLL's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Guns for Texas school's teachers okayed

well at least no one is gonna fuck with the teacher.

rikosaka's Avatar ChorizoSmells

We have a common saying in Texas: "Don't mess with Texas". I think even my grandmother at one point had a small gun in her purse for awhile. I guess if Airline pilots can carry weapons, it was bound to carry over into other professions.

This reminds me of the Univ. of Texas tower shooting. Several civilians pulled out their guns and joined the police in shooting at the sniper. I can see a guy who tries to pull another Columbine gets a big surprise when he ends up getting shot by several teachers.

How come I'm not surprised by this? I think it's a disaster we had to come to this level at all.... on other hand seeing the situation it's a good idea.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

The problem I see with this is:

The NRA and well meaning folks like my male roommate, who carries a knife or gun everywhere he goes and is still at the Beavis/Butthead mentality level of collecting Zippos and knives... thinks like Texas does. More guns, the safer things are.

If I wanted to kill 15 people in Texas, I'd simply find some kind of firework that sounds like a gun being fired, and toss it into a crowd. Some have-a-go-hero would pull his weapon. Someone else would say "THAT THARS THE SHEWTER" and fire at him. Someone else would pull his piece to be Dirty Harry the Avenging Cock Master and fire at that guy. Then guy #1 would think guy #3 was the shooter that just shot him and fire back, hitting a baby in the head. Then that person's father, grieving, would shoot wildly, hitting a nun, etc.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    The problem I see with this is:

The NRA and well meaning folks like my male roommate, who carries a knife or gun everywhere he goes and is still at the Beavis/Butthead mentality level of collecting Zippos and knives... thinks like Texas does. More guns, the safer things are.

If I wanted to kill 15 people in Texas, I'd simply find some kind of firework that sounds like a gun being fired, and toss it into a crowd. Some have-a-go-hero would pull his weapon. Someone else would say "THAT THARS THE SHEWTER" and fire at him. Someone else would pull his piece to be Dirty Harry the Avenging Cock Master and fire at that guy. Then guy #1 would think guy #3 was the shooter that just shot him and fire back, hitting a baby in the head. Then that person's father, grieving, would shoot wildly, hitting a nun, etc.

It'd be a real hootnanny!

I was in Memphis, once. First place I moved to from a country where guns are pretty much nonexistant except on the local cops.

I'm in a sporting goods store looking for wrist wraps and come across this fat beer gutted redneck stereotype talking to the guy at the gun counter. (Pistols are "sport"?)

Anyway, the conversation was like "Yup, nah, iffen yew want to put the intruder down hawrd, yew'll want the Raging 14" Barrel CockCompensator Magnum Elite Force rat thar. That's got the penetratin power to cause shock wave injury to the person in question, even iffen ya don't hit him somewhere critical, the organ damage from th' bullet velocity'll put him down. Excellent for home defense."

They did everything but simply grab a pump and start enlarging their cocks right there.

So the same clerk swaggers up to me, the very picture of sporting health at 235lb of jiggling polo shirted girth, and says "c'a hepp yew?" And I said "Sure. I'm interested in home defense."

And he goes "Well, th' guns are over here..."

I said "No, I don't want no shootin' iron." I picked up two baseball bats, a wooden one and an aluminum one.

I said "If I was to swing either of these hard into someone's skull, which one would do more impact damage? See, I'm thinkin the wood is heavier and would cause more critical damage to the brain in the case of a solid connecting blow to the cranium, but then again, the aluminum bat is lighter, and I'd get a faster swing, which would make it easier to shatter a kneecap, or fracture a jaw."

He looks at me and says "Sir, I do believe that you require some kind of mental counselling".

I said "Sir, this is the same conversation as you had with that gentleman there. All that differs is my choice of weapon. Where I come from only a coward uses a gun."

And he gritted his teeth and walked away.

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

i can see it all now..60 yr old english teachers with desert eagles..lol..seriously though, it seems like it can either be a good thing or a bad thing..

I was in Memphis, once. First place I moved to from a country where guns are pretty much nonexistant except on the local cops.

I'm in a sporting goods store looking for wrist wraps and come across this fat beer gutted redneck stereotype talking to the guy at the gun counter. (Pistols are "sport"?)

Anyway, the conversation was like "Yup, nah, iffen yew want to put the intruder down hawrd, yew'll want the Raging 14" Barrel CockCompensator Magnum Elite Force rat thar. That's got the penetratin power to cause shock wave injury to the person in question, even iffen ya don't hit him somewhere critical, the organ damage from th' bullet velocity'll put him down. Excellent for home defense."

They did everything but simply grab a pump and start enlarging their cocks right there.

So the same clerk swaggers up to me, the very picture of sporting health at 235lb of jiggling polo shirted girth, and says "c'a hepp yew?" And I said "Sure. I'm interested in home defense."

And he goes "Well, th' guns are over here..."

I said "No, I don't want no shootin' iron." I picked up two baseball bats, a wooden one and an aluminum one.

I said "If I was to swing either of these hard into someone's skull, which one would do more impact damage? See, I'm thinkin the wood is heavier and would cause more critical damage to the brain in the case of a solid connecting blow to the cranium, but then again, the aluminum bat is lighter, and I'd get a faster swing, which would make it easier to shatter a kneecap, or fracture a jaw."

He looks at me and says "Sir, I do believe that you require some kind of mental counselling".

I said "Sir, this is the same conversation as you had with that gentleman there. All that differs is my choice of weapon. Where I come from only a coward uses a gun."

And he gritted his teeth and walked away.

The heavier the bat the better. If some intruder gets into my house, I'm going for his head first. Fuck the kneecaps. It's not like he owes me money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    The heavier the bat the better. If some intruder gets into my house, I'm going for his head first. Fuck the kneecaps. It's not like he owes me money.
    ...no cement shoes either?

I dunno, some teachers are FUCKING TENSE after 20 years on the job. They get to the point where they wanna toss the kids out into the hallway.

There's NO FUCKING WAY my kids would end up in a school like that.

There was a shooting at the mall here three years ago. Some mental case pulled out an automatic assault rifle and was about to shoot up the place, when the guy who worked at the knife store put his hand on his shoulder and said "put the gun down and..." and then was promptly shot up to ratshit through his right side as the guy strafed him.

Said knife shop guy was armed and had his hand on his weapon at the time.

It's now years later, and after tons of surgeries and rerouted guts and missing parts and suchlike, he might actually start to be getting around on a wheelchair.

I dunno, some teachers are FUCKING TENSE after 20 years on the job. They get to the point where they wanna toss the kids out into the hallway.

There's NO FUCKING WAY my kids would end up in a school like that.

There was a shooting at the mall here three years ago. Some mental case pulled out an automatic assault rifle and was about to shoot up the place, when the guy who worked at the knife store put his hand on his shoulder and said "put the gun down and..." and then was promptly shot up to ratshit through his right side as the guy strafed him.

Said knife shop guy was armed and had his hand on his weapon at the time.

It's now years later, and after tons of surgeries and rerouted guts and missing parts and suchlike, he might actually start to be getting around on a wheelchair.

Back when I was in junior high, there was this Science teacher (older dude) that kids loved to harrass. By the time I got to high school, the dude apparently went off the deep end in class and had a total nervous breakdown. Could you imagine if he had a gun when that happened? Fuck that!

yeah, i think it was somewhere here in FL when some teacher beat the shit out of a student..apparently the student give him shit for some time and the teacher snapped..

wait, was that the guy who had like an aks-74u and complained about voices in his head?

Quote Originally Posted by Senior_Diablo
    yeah, i think it was somewhere here in FL when some teacher beat the shit out of a student..apparently the student give him shit for some time and the teacher snapped..

wait, was that the guy who had like an aks-74u and complained about voices in his head?
    No dude...Thats me.

No dude...Thats me.
    wait..what?

If there was a intruder at my house I would invite him for a drink, maybe a snack too, talk to him and make him talk about his family and how he loves them and such. Oh, did I forgot to mention ruffie in his drink? No? Well now I had.
    After getting enough information out of him I would seek out his sister and make him watch how the donkey with a bloody dick fucks her in her eye socket on their mother's grave. After that I would make him eat his raw dick.

Eventualy, when I had enough fun with him I would tie his legs with the rope an lower down from the bridge so that only his head is in the water. In order to survive he would be forced to struggle to breathe.

(Last one we actually did to a guy that almost killed me, stab wound from knife was 5cm away from my heart)

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Back when I was in junior high, there was this Science teacher (older dude) that kids loved to harrass. By the time I got to high school, the dude apparently went off the deep end in class and had a total nervous breakdown. Could you imagine if he had a gun when that happened? Fuck that!
    he probably would have shot a bunch of the little shitheads in his class. if i was in his position, i would have at least thought about it.

That was a brilliant story. Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    he probably would have shot a bunch of the little shitheads in his class. if i was in his position, i would have at least thought about it.
    Exactly....That's why I don't think it's good for teachers to have guns. Too much temptation to stifle the little bastards of the class.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

it really doesn't matter. you're "allowed" to have guns, but you aren't "allowed" to shoot people with them. If someone wants to shoot you, they are going to do it, so whether they are allowed to have a gun or not doesn't make a difference.

If someone wants to shoot you, they are going to walk up to you, pull out thier gun and shoot you. So even if you had a gun, you probably wouldn't be able to react in 2 seconds to defend yourself. Most peoples first reaction upon being apporached by someone is not to think that they are about to get shot. There are some people who think that, and those people don't need guns because they never leave thier houses.

It's funny when people say "If guns are outlawed, then only outlaws will have guns." yeah, that's the whole point. That's why we outlaw things, it wouldn't make any sense to make something illegal and then have everyone doing it. That's why we have a war on drugs. Because people are actively working to stop drug production and distribution, it's much more difficult and expensive to get drugs then it would be if they were legal.

If we treated guns the same way, there would still be a blackmarket for guns, because like drugs, like anything, people are going to do it if they are determined enough, and since other people can make money off that determination, they will work to make it happen. But it would be more difficult and expensive to get guns then it would be if they were legal.

The reason that most people drink beer and smoke cigarettes, and not shoot heroin and smoke crack is becaue they are going to do what's easiest and most convinient.

same with people who shoot people. Most people get pissed off and grab a gun that they either allready have or have easy access to and shoot someone with it. Most people don't put forth the effort to execute a well planned and premeditated murder. That's also why most people don't get away with it. If they thought it through and waited, then they probably would realize that it wasn't a smart thing to do and decide not to do it.

in england where they banned guns, people stab each other with knives all the time, because they get pissed off and want to kill each other and knives are easily available. But it' also a lot easier to stop someone from doing a lot of harm with a knife, which has a more limited range and capability than a gun, and they have a lot less murders by comparison because of it.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Absolutely no fucking way would I be a teacher in society as it is in this day and age.................I'd rather pump gas than pass on my hard earned knowledge to the average little shit that's out there for a little more money...............one day education won't be taken for granted and parents will actually understand that education is a priviledge not a right and teach thier kids to respect other people.

oh well, the worlds a pretty stupid place................

Thank's god I live in the Europe

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

We had a few crazy teachers a my high school, and the behavouir of the kids was a major reason why.
    We had our language teacher throw a table at a kid, which missed and went through a window, because this kid was putting shit on the teacher for a double period in the mourning (a period is 50 miniutes) roll call (23 miniutes) and another period after recess.
    An Art teacher who was just nuttier than squirral crap who would go right up to a kid and scream in his face for doiong anything wrong (like when I had my hat on still even though I didnt have a free arm to take it off because I was carrying the text books in to the room for her). Her idea of getting our attention was throwing things at walls.
    And my personal favorite was my year 8 science teacher, who assumed I was an asshole like my older brother, so he assumed it was my fault when pretty much anything went wrong. Some one stole my work book, my fault for not paying more attention, someguy asked if he could by my phone and I get sent to the principal for being a "disruption the the rest of the class" even thoug I was the only one working while a group of kids up the back set their desk on fire with some crap they found in the cupboard.
    The point of these stories is that at the core of these teachers problems was the behavour of the students (excpt maybe the Art teacher, who I saw screaming at a kid who had lost his voice and was supposidly talking at the same time she was.)

AS MUCH AS I LOVE GUNS.... In school I believe they should only be held by officers. In fact, no, let me change that. Teachers that want to carry can as well but they must undergo a strict psychological examination/mandatory extra gun training.

/checks clock. Okay. Lets do this .

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    it really doesn't matter. you're "allowed" to have guns, but you aren't "allowed" to shoot people with them. If someone wants to shoot you, they are going to do it, so whether they are allowed to have a gun or not doesn't make a difference.

=True.

If someone wants to shoot you, they are going to walk up to you, pull out thier gun and shoot you. So even if you had a gun, you probably wouldn't be able to react in 2 seconds to defend yourself. Most peoples first reaction upon being apporached by someone is not to think that they are about to get shot. There are some people who think that, and those people don't need guns because they never leave thier houses.

================================================== =====
    It is incredibly rare for a person you do not know to walk out of a doorway and shoot you in the head. The majority of shooting situations you have time to run/get in cover/hide.

Examples of when a gun can save your life or someone elses:

Home at night. Someone breaks in. No intelligent criminal breaks in at night because he/she knows people are home asleep. Someone breaking in at night is 90% of the time looking to either hurt you, get some sex, murder. Or they're incredibly stupid. If you have a decent alarm system/locked door you should be able to hear an intruder and atleast give yourself a fighting chance.

In School: With warning systems, the noise, screaming etc most people will know when a shooting is going down. If they take cover they can then mount a defense. Think of all the school shootings if the teachers had been armed. Sure many would still have died but the whole plan to shoot up a school would look alot less exciting because Mr. Dean will take you down before you can go on your 30 minute rage against the machine shooting spree.

To avoid filling this post up, I'll say that off the top of my head I can think of 10 other situations that many people are likely to encounter.
    ======================

It's funny when people say "If guns are outlawed, then only outlaws will have guns." yeah, that's the whole point. That's why we outlaw things, it wouldn't make any sense to make something illegal and then have everyone doing it. That's why we have a war on drugs. Because people are actively working to stop drug production and distribution, it's much more difficult and expensive to get drugs then it would be if they were legal.

=If I were a criminal the idea of a disarmed population would make my rock hard.

If we treated guns the same way, there would still be a blackmarket for guns, because like drugs, like anything, people are going to do it if they are determined enough, and since other people can make money off that determination, they will work to make it happen. But it would be more difficult and expensive to get guns then it would be if they were legal.

====There already is a black market for guns. Criminals already can not get them legally but still do get them. Banning guns only hurts law abiding citizens.

The reason that most people drink beer and smoke cigarettes, and not shoot heroin and smoke crack is becaue they are going to do what's easiest and most convinient.

====We also have a long cultural connection to both. Both drugs are also much less powerful and over powering. They're *safer*, culturally accepted and old. The reason most people dont shoot heroin or do crack is because they know those drugs are powerful, addictive and deadly. (Not saying smokes and beer can't kill you but the build up of cigarettes is measured in years, and you can drink a 12 pack of beer without fear of shutting down.)

same with people who shoot people. Most people get pissed off and grab a gun that they either allready have or have easy access to and shoot someone with it. Most people don't put forth the effort to execute a well planned and premeditated murder. That's also why most people don't get away with it. If they thought it through and waited, then they probably would realize that it wasn't a smart thing to do and decide not to do it.

==I agree with you there. In the heat of the moment people freak out, grab whatever weapon is close at hand and go nuts. Banning a gun might have a small impact on passion killings but whats stopping Joe from grabbing the ball-bat beside his gun and wacking his wife upside the head.

in england where they banned guns, people stab each other with knives all the time, because they get pissed off and want to kill each other and knives are easily available. But it' also a lot easier to stop someone from doing a lot of harm with a knife, which has a more limited range and capability than a gun, and they have a lot less murders by comparison because of it.

=== Here is where I start sounding like a conspiracy theorist. If you look at every major country that has had over-the-top gun control (Communist China, USSR, Nazi Germany, North Korea etc) had a disarmed population unable to resist the government back by a huge military. Control the arms you control the population. I don't care how eloquent a speaker you are or how learned you are. A bullet can send all your experience onto the wallpaper.

Not saying England is a bad place to live (I like it there). But if they DID want to try something they could. I doubt a militia of non-locking pocket knife soldiers and farmers with single shot shotguns could do much.

Same with USA. Having a huge, armed population lowers desire to invade and helps calm the government before they make any kind of sweeping order change.

Guns are not perfect. Our laws are not perfect. I'm in favor of psychological screening/forced safety training for them but will never be in favor of a ban.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

Four of my teachers were packaged off in straight jackets, I don't like the thought of them with concealed firearms.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Two words: home schooling.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    /checks clock. Okay. Lets do this .
    I think it would have been better to divide that post up, instead of just making one long quote of both of our posts.. but OK.

I can see your point and I don't really have any opposition to it. I'm not really in favor of banning guns, but I'm not exactly against it either. It has it's pro's and con's. doesn't really effect me.

I agree with the defense against the government idea. I'm sure that I'm at least as paranoid as anyone you are likely to meet. But that's another funny idea, "legally" overthrowing the government. hah. when it comes to that, I'd much rather have an unregistered untraceable gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior_Diablo
    Hahaha! I love the Daily Show....Great clip!.....Although, one question...And I hate to be a pest, but....What the fuck does this have to do with teachers having guns?

Hahaha! I love the Daily Show....Great clip!.....Although, one question...And I hate to be a pest, but....What the fuck does this have to do with teachers having guns?
    this topic just made me think of the segment on the daily show..lol

I know dude...I'm just fuckin' with you! It's a great clip...Great show!

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

did i miss something about the student body in that part of texas?

I know dude...I'm just fuckin' with you! It's a great clip...Great show!
    foshizzle... the coblert report pwns as well..truthiness ftw..lol

Both are gold!

Both are gold!
    indeed.. ::holds up arm with 'wriststrong' bracelet::..yes, i actually have one..lol

2 good shows I'm amazed that something like that is running at all on tv

I propose a compromise.

Teachers get to have guns.

Students get to hunt said teachers for sport.

Legalized murder for the students, and reasonable self defense for the teachers.

The assumption being that if the kids can take out the highly armed teachers then they deserve a free pass.

I'm a uniter not a divider.

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    2 good shows I'm amazed that something like that is running at all on tv
    dont you live in europe? didnt think they would show it there..thats cool though..
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    I propose a compromise.

Legalized murder for the students, and reasonable self defense for the teachers.

The assumption being that if the kids can take out the highly armed teachers then they deserve a free pass.

..that would have been an interesting senior project..lol

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Friendly
    I propose a compromise.

how about we give the guns to the teachers but then give the bullets to the students? the teachers and students would have to work together to get the guns loaded and shoot any one. sure, a teacher could just go out and buy their own bullets, so we need to make it really hard for them to get them.

+ Reply to Thread