+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evangelion

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

Default Evangelion

I just found my Neon Genesis Evangelion box set and re-watched the series.
    I was wondering if anyone here has seen the show, and if so what did you think?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: Evangelion

best anime of all time, IMO.

I managed to get my hands on a Japanese all-region 3 disc set with all the episodes for around 40 bucks, including the shipping cost. It's since become comparable, but at the time you could only get the US versions 2 episode DVDs, or a set of all 12 discs which was like 200 bucks.

I still haven't gotten the movies yet. they phased out the box set that had both of them together and replaced it with a condensed version that cut out the supplementary material for the series. lame.

you can still find it, but it's rarer and usually pricey, as well as the two single versions, but once again, I don't want to buy singles.

so yeah, I guess I didn't really talk about the show they way that you intended it...

I don't really know what to say about it. Have you seen any of the new series? they are making 3 or 4 movies that show an alternative version of the show and have a different ending. I'm not sure about the international availability, but I know that at least the first couple are out in japan already.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

i have the that same box set and the 2 end movies...its good, one of the top 10 but not the best...I might have big through by anime collection to see what have, I have i have at least 200 or more I am big fan of macross and robotec

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

the ending was very anticlimactic but excellent up to that point.

i don't tend to like the whole giant robot thing as most of the time its unwaranted in anime, but evangelion is one of the few where it manageds to justify it (much like the patlabor series which is what turned me away from the "giant robots, wtf" attitude).

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

I like the series. Look at end of evangelion the movie, it's one thing in this series that will leave asking WTF more than normal. All in All a good mecha show.

Haven't seen that in years. Time to fire up the movie rental queue.

I dunno; I downloaded it and watched the first seven or so episodes after being told it was awesome and filled with edgy takes on stuff like death and child sexuality, but it sortof started boring me at that point. Seemed rather repetitive, with plenty of character development but little story beyond "alien monster shows up and appears to be on the winning hand until the school kids in robots overcome some psychological obstacle, harness their newest power and win the day".

it's anime, what were you expecting?

yeah, that's pretty much the whole plot right there. I guess if you don't like robots and monsters blowing shit up and/or character development and relationships, then you won't like the majority of all japanese media.

I like monsters and robots blowing shit up just fine, but they could, like, not make it happen in a perfectly scaled series of well-matched 1 on 1 duels at a consistent rate of one per episode, with absolutely everything of importance hanging in the balance every single time.

Fuck, pokemon had a less linear storyline template than that.

Ok, yeah, I see your point. especially since you said that you only watched the first 7 episodes. The majority of the show is very serialized and formulaic with the occasional delinear episode or sideline drama that takes away from the action. But about 3/4 of the way through the series the show shifts in tone to become darker and focus more on the drama and the mythology development. Those are the episodes that probably stand out more for people because they are clearer in depth. The last few episodes are entirely chaotic with pretty much zero action and they are purely artistic and based on psychology/philosophy.

ya know, like most shows, keep in mind that this is going to be running weekly, so you kind of have to start it out with these stand alone type of episodes. But I think that you really have to consider the series as a whole, and I think that those later episodes is really the direction that they always wanted it to be, but they had to make it more conventional for the most part to get people to watch it.

Oh, you're probably right about it picking up later on - I trust the tastes of the people that recommended it to me well enough, it just didn't end up capturing me for long enough to make its point while taking up a few gigs of precious hard-drive space.

If nothing else, the series inspired a whole bunch of quality guro pieces.

I'm probably over hyping it. that usually kills it for me. no matter how good it is, if everyone is telling you that it's the best thing ever then it can never live up to your expectations. or mine at least.

I'm not sure if it has ever been cool to be into anime, but when I first got into it it was squarely reserved for nerd fodder. I mean this was at the end of the 90's, so it wasn't like the 80's when no one knew about it and there was one dude that got the hook up from his freind in japan and put in his own subtitles, but it was still at bootleg VHS trading at that point.

I can name more the few that great plot lines and do not i have the gaint robot issue.

grave of the fireflies
    ninjascroll
    welcome to the NHK
    Jin Roh

have you seen ninja scroll the series? it sucks so bad. I don't know what they are thinking.

I'm not really into anime these days. mostly just a few select classic shows and movies. I'm not like checking out all the newsest releases. But i'm really stoked on the fact that they are making an anime series of my favorite manga Blade of the Immortal, and it looks pretty bad ass from the opening teaser I've seen. It just started airing last month on japanese TV though, so who knows how long it's going to be before it get's a US release.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I'm not sure if it has ever been cool to be into anime, but when I first got into it it was squarely reserved for nerd fodder. I mean this was at the end of the 90's, so it wasn't like the 80's when no one knew about it and there was one dude that got the hook up from his freind in japan and put in his own subtitles, but it was still at bootleg VHS trading at that point.
    Eh, showing mild enthousiasm for some of the cuter series has gotten me laid a few times in the cyber clubbing scene, back when I was all neon-pink and pigtails.

Pics please

I have seen a few series that very good, they are new.. here where I go to find new anime series you can watch them for free..http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime?tab=index
    The Tower of DRUAGA -the Aegis of URUK
    Welcome to the NHK
    Macross Frontier

just great series
    GTO
    Armitage
    New Dominion tank police
    Lodoss Wars
    Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040
    Hand Maid May

My Hentai collection that another matter....

Ebichu the Housekeeping Hamster rocked!

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos
    Pics please
    Here's me doing pink, but this one is actually only a few months old.

Back in the years I'm talking about, I looked more like this, unfortunately:

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

I still have a crush on Rei Ayanami from wayyyyy back. I remember being into Evangelion when I was like 15 or 16. Still fond of the show.

If anyone enjoyed the more thought provoking aspects of Eva then you should check out Ergo Proxy.

on a kind of unrelated note, but a follow-up post for me: I did manage to see a few episodes of the Blade of the Immortal anime. The translation was an amateur job so the dialogue is pretty bad and uneven, and maybe because of the that the story is kind of hard to follow. the music is not bad, but nothing that really stands out or adds anything in mood other than just background. the action and the animation is pretty good, but less graphic in violence than the manga, which was a complaint by some.

Overall if you are a fan of the manga you'll like it well enough and will probably enjoy it more as a whole than episode to episode. If you aren't then you might not like it too much because purely as an anime it's pretty mediocre.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I don't really care for alot of sci-fi anime. futuristic or future settings, sure, but I like anime that focuses more on character development and relationships. I like stuff that's more girly.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Akira for the win.
    Although the squids win. Booooooo.

^^ that was a good movie, but the ghost in the shell one was better

i love the stuff in the GITS vien. and quite like Shirow's manga work.

in a similar vien i'm currently typing in a break from watching Vexile. looking to be another good purchase.

jow about Japanese Cinema? i've only been exposed to relatively little of it (aside from the endless horror movies that will be redone by a hollywood team who never understood what made the original work)

Ive seen a few of the originals that have been redone by hollywood, and they are a fuckload better.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    Akira for the win.
    Although the squids win. Booooooo.
    word! akira kicks ass!

Camby Savelle's Avatar Stars shaped like hearts

Quote Originally Posted by Head Wreck
    i love the stuff in the GITS vien. and quite like Shirow's manga work.

in a similar vien i'm currently typing in a break from watching Vexile. looking to be another good purchase.

jow about Japanese Cinema? i've only been exposed to relatively little of it (aside from the endless horror movies that will be redone by a hollywood team who never understood what made the original work)
    I really like Sakuran. It's a very bright and vibrant film about a prostitutes rise to the top of her game. The best part is that the entire film is scored by Shiina Ringo.

I'll keep an eye out for that.

+ Reply to Thread