+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hair Dye Question

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

Default Hair Dye Question

So, I spent many years dying my hair every color under the sun, and have let it go natural for almost 3 years now.
    I am bleaching some layers in tonight, but would eventually like to go to a more vibrant "fire engine" red or Similar to Manic Panic's Pillarbox red.
    Unfortunately, I have grown out of the phase of wanting to change my color ever 3-6 weeks, so I would like to find a permanent dye this color, instead of semi or demi, like 99% of the dyes this color.
    Any suggestions?

Bedlamite

Default Re: Hair Dye Question

I like L'Oreal Color Rays, but mostly because its not always nessesary to bleach your hair before-hand.

Unfortuantely, reds are some of the fastest fading colors. All I can tell you is to get a nice red-hair shampoo and conditioner set, and patiently re-vivid your hair every month or so.

If you want a conditioning color that is pretty vivid, you could go for that Herbal Essenses in 'Deep Red', which is a lovely firey color that comes out MUCH more vivid than on the box.

The third choise, if you feel like the effort, is to find a salon/go to ebay.co.uk and look for Schwarzkopf Live Color. They have some of the most beauuuutiful glossy vivid reds I've ever used. It stands out as my favorate hair color. I used Paprika, which looks orangey on the box, but ended up a really vivid red. They also provide candy-shades, as well as the vivid-natural shades.

Thanks a lot.
    I have the bleach in now. It's been probably 5 years since I've used the stuff and I totally forgot how bad it smells haha.
    But, yea I know how much of a pain it is to use reds, and how much upkeep it entails, but I just didn't wanna go with something that would be barely recognizable as pink in a few washes LOL.

I will certainly look into all of those, and definitely go find out about the Schwarzkopf Live Colors, as I am certainly looking for a more candy-colored shade

I'd LOVE to do something creative color wise with my hair.... each strand of my hair is so fine in texture, ONE coloring/bleaching ruins my hair.

I've even tried the expensive salon treatments.
    NOTHING works.

SO, I guess I'm stuck with what I've got....
    Its not entirely bad, but I'd still like to have options.

Athena, I cant wait to see how it turns out. You've got such lovely hair.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I know what shade pillar box red is. rusk has a fantastic colour line out called scream. they have a red shade that is very close to pillerbox red. the plus side: it is not harsh on your hair. the down side. you have to be a proffessional to get it, but I'd recommend going to a proffessional anyway.

ETA: another person to ask would be joel awesome. he does hair for a living.

DonkeyMoses's Avatar Senior Member

Yea. Mine is orange right now. Evrything I've used involves regular upkeep to keep it firey coppery red. Since I'm the kind of guy who styles my hair with my fingers for five seconds in the morning and doesn't otherwise feel like fucking with it, I just end up going around orange. Right now I use a box color ( I forget which one) and layer over it every once in a while with Manic Panic Infra Red. Looks great for a few days then goes back to orange witout even washing it. I wish they could make Manic Panic type colors in permanant.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I really like the Special Effect line. It stays vibrant for a good long time in my hair, however, I use their greens, primarily Iguana and a little Sonic to give visual texture. I have not tried their reds, but as far as dye goes, they are the best I've ever used.

Yea, I tried special effect before, but it was gone in like 3 washes when I used their limelight green years ago.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by athenahollow
    Yea, I tried special effect before, but it was gone in like 3 washes when I used their limelight green years ago.
    green is a very hard color to keep, no matter what brand you are using. I've used special effects reds before and they are great.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

My hair is weird. It's very hard to color certain tones and works really well for others. The limelight isn't as good for me as the iguana or the sonic. A lot of the Manic Panic colors just make my hair gray though, particularly the midnight blue or whatever. I have to use super brutal bleach to lighten my hair too. However, with the Special Effects, I don't even have to do the whole heating cap all night thing to really set the color. I bleach, rinse, color, and leave it in for a few hours and it's very good for like six weeks. I should still maintain it more often than I tend to though.

So, I've become quite partial to just the blonde lately. So I will stick with it for a little while at least.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

So, I've become quite partial to just the blonde lately. So I will stick with it for a little while at least.

Me likes...Good job.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

That looks fucking hot on you!

Thanks I'm quite happy with myself, as the only time I've ever done multi-tonal hair coloring, all I changed was my bangs.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Long hair...Short hair...It all fits you. Love the colors too!

+ Reply to Thread