+ Reply to Thread

Thread: family

Default family

Do you feel that you either should or do love your family members just for being your family members?

I love my parents and some of my extended family because they're awesome people. I feel a bond with others just from knowing them for so long. Others I really don't give a fuck about. I'm always cordial and kind, because it would probably hurt their feelings and cause lotsa tension if I did otherwise. I also would help any of them out if they needed it, because I believe that it's good to have a kinship network that you can fall back on. But I just don't get that automatic "well, of course I love them, they're family" thing. Maybe some people's understanding of love is different from mine?

The only relative that I love for no good reason whatsoever is my little sister. I imagine that this has to do with her being small, relying on me and looking up to me.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: family

well, I suppose everything happens for a reason

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

I was kind of brought up to only like family who earned it. This being my nuclear family's view. Over time, I have found a more generalized sense of family in myself for my extended family.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I was kind of brought up to only like family who earned it. This being my nuclear family's view. Over time, I have found a more generalized sense of family in myself for my extended family.
    There are family members I love and those that I don't and also some I could not give a shit about whatsoever. I'm not big on that "Blood is thicker than water." thing. To me the most important people are my wife and son....After that...Yeah...Earn it.

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

I have family members that I have never met, I can't love a total stranger. I also dislike some family members because of their ways, and I do not claim to love them just because they are family. To me, those people are just related to me, nothing more. My closest friends are more family and mean more to me than most of my actual blood line.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

My mom used to say that "your friends will come and go but your family will always be there for you". She obviously wasn't talking about my family. I have a few cousins that I get along with well enough but as for the rest of the fam...meh... I don't bother with them. They don't get me, that's fine...
    I have a very close cirlce of friends that I consider to be my true family.

Vexbeast's Avatar Eat me, I'm nutritious.

I hate basically all my family.

None of my family members are worth much more than a 'meh', really. Not even my brother, who actually understands most of the pop-culture things I make reference to...

Then again, he's a bastard and owes me money. o.o

It's plain and simple for me. Family first!

No questions.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

i'm with olix

Everybody's family with someone.
    Everyone's someone's family.

With that being said, just because they're YOUR family, doesnt make them entitled to your affection or warm thoughts.

I believe it must be earned.
    Family WILL do other family members DIRTY before they would a stranger or acquaintance.

Leave it to family to borrow stuff, and never repay. OR share your dirty laundry with the world.

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

eh..i dont really like my family..except my brother.and he's 9 months..lol

for some reason you made me think of a quote, OK.. i cant remember who said it but i believe it went something like this "the ones closest to us hurt us the most" or something like that..

That rings true with my family. AND I dont mean the actual people I live with, but rather the people I was raised with.

I have a HUGE family!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKhaos
    Everybody's family with someone.
    Everyone's someone's family.

With that being said, just because they're YOUR family, doesnt make them entitled to your affection or warm thoughts.

I believe it must be earned.
    Family WILL do other family members DIRTY before they would a stranger or acquaintance.

Leave it to family to borrow stuff, and never repay. OR share your dirty laundry with the world.
    ***Family WILL do other family members DIRTY before they would a stranger or acquaintance***

I hear that. And don't forget that AFTER they do you dirty, they act like nothing even happened....

Exactly.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

My family is much like what you have seen from American Chopper. We get along sometimes or often than not we are at each other throats. We all work in the same types of business. My Mother is only one that doesnt work in the same type of business. So it is business 24-7, we all have really strong personalities, just cause untold conflict. In the end its always family first, just my core family. Thank god I am not on TV....

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

certain friends and family members i couldnt live without.

certain family members i try my best with only cause they're family.

certain family members i hate more then anything on this planet and only stay in contact with them to hopfully get some inheritence when they finally die in order to help some of us others make a new start.

that last one makes me hate myself a little bit too lol

Quote Originally Posted by drewblood
    certain friends and family members i couldnt live without.

certain family members i try my best with only cause they're family.

certain family members i hate more then anything on this planet and only stay in contact with them to hopfully get some inheritence when they finally die in order to help some of us others make a new start.

that last one makes me hate myself a little bit too lol
    That last one was the case with my mother and her father who never actually did something for us, actually did more harm than good but.... that's the life.

On other hand, OK, I don't know about your experiences with your family but I only got my mother, brother and sister and that's all. All other family we haven't had contact with for more than 10 years.

From '91. when war started, my mom was on her own with me, my brother and my sister. I was 9 at that time, bro and sis were 4 and 5,5. Father died in car accident in '89. She was all alone in struggle to get us out of Yugoslavia. We traveled almost across all the Europe and lived in many places and then even came back shortly after war to my hometown and stayed there for 7 years. She really deserves a memorial statue as a excellent and loving mother.

" Leave it to family to borrow stuff, and never repay. OR share your dirty laundry with the world."

They can borrow as much as they want and they don't have to even think about repaying.

From childhood I thought that I never loved my family in a way that I should. They were just people related to me by the similar genes and similar ancestors.

I grew up without any brothers or sisters, I didn't spend much time with my relatives (when I would start to spend time with them, they usually died not long afterwards), barely even talked to my cousins.

As for my parents... My father was never around, neither was my mother. Only after I reached puberty did my mother start to spend time with me. It could've been though due to the fact that she was unemployed after moving to another city and didn't have anything better to do than chat with me once in a while. As for my father... He said lots of mean things and due to such things I saved his life.

He was lying on the floor hopeless, I was looking down and felt to sadness, just shock. There was the person who constantly told me I owed him my life and now his life was in my grasp.

I now regret saving him. It did me no good.

I hate myself for all of this. I know it's wrong. But I just can't love people for the sole reason that they exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Astarte
    From childhood I thought that I never loved my family in a way that I should. They were just people related to me by the similar genes and similar ancestors.

I grew up without any brothers or sisters, I didn't spend much time with my relatives (when I would start to spend time with them, they usually died not long afterwards), barely even talked to my cousins.

As for my parents... My father was never around, neither was my mother. Only after I reached puberty did my mother start to spend time with me. It could've been though due to the fact that she was unemployed after moving to another city and didn't have anything better to do than chat with me once in a while. As for my father... He said lots of mean things and due to such things I saved his life.

He was lying on the floor hopeless, I was looking down and felt to sadness, just shock. There was the person who constantly told me I owed him my life and now his life was in my grasp.

I now regret saving him. It did me no good.

I hate myself for all of this. I know it's wrong. But I just can't love people for the sole reason that they exist.
    I thought you said you were more of a lurker than a talker...

Ajax Knucklebones, I also said I'm trying to change that. ;D Besides, I was bored.

Family = genetic similarity. Beyond that, it means jack shit.

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    Family = genetic similarity. Beyond that, it means jack shit.
    foshizzle

+ Reply to Thread