+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: McCain picked a woman as the vice presidential candidate on his ticket....

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Default McCain picked a woman as the vice presidential candidate on his ticket....

I'm sorry, but can this guy be just a LITTLE BIT more see through?

It's not that I wouldn't mind a woman as vice president...Hell, president is she was the best candidate, but come on....

He had a slew of well-experienced, well-liked Republican politicians at his finger tips and he picks a first term governor of Alaska who, Hell, I never even heard of.

Can it be any more obivious that the only reason I see that he picked her is since he's up against a political minority, he should have a political minority as his running mate to hopefully get non-"white male" votes?

I understand the strategy, but it's like this. If Obama becomes President, I feel safe if Biden had to take over that presidency for any reason.

If McCain became President and say, up and died of a massive heart attack, do I really want a first term governor from Alaska (Of all places) running the whole show?

Hell no!

I like Obama for president because to me he's the best candidate for the next presidency. It has nothing to do with his gender or race. It's so stupid to vote for people just because of gender and race( And yes, I know America has been voting in white males for the last 200 years for that very same reason...But, luckily Obama's gonna finally change that, if he gets in)....Yet....Shallow McCain seems to be playing this same race and gender card....She wasn't picked because she's the best candidate. I'm sorry, but I so believe she was ONLY picked because she was a woman and women in big governmental politics are still a minority.

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

Default Re: McCain picked a woman as the vice presidential candidate on his ticket....

The only thing I know about her is that Craig Ferguson referred to her as a MILF (later changed to GILF) when she presented him with an honorary citizenship to the state of Alaska.

Default Re: McCain picked a woman as the vice presidential candidate on his ticket....

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessBill
    The only thing I know about her is that Craig Ferguson referred to her as a MILF (later changed to GILF) when she presented him with an honorary citizenship to the state of Alaska.
    She does look like a MILF....I'll give her that.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Savvy move imo. Perfect timing. I think he may win this thing (no I'm not a supporter)

OEC

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

well it shows he didnt pick a woman just because of obama's pick

how come those that call themselves liberal are not for the liberalization of second amendment isses

DonkeyMoses's Avatar Senior Member

He's embarrassing himself. It's like bringing a hooker to the highschool reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by bohoki
    well it shows he didnt pick a woman just because of obama's pick

how come those that call themselves liberal are not for the liberalization of second amendment isses
    No, I believe he picked a woman BECAUSE of Obama....

If it was, say, John Edwards who won the nomination to run for the democrats, what do you think the chances would be that McCain would still pick this woman?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

you didn't realize that politics was all pageantry aka. bullshit?

it's a smart move on the part of his advisers. Obama is young and hip and he needed to choose someone that was older and more experienced for his VP, so the inverse holds true for McCain.

It seems apparent but look at who we are dealing with here. You got people that will vote republican no matter what. You got people that sincerely believe in McCain and would vote for him no matter what. And then you got the same thing going for all things on the Democrat sides. You got people that will vote for a woman no matter who she is. people who will vote for a black candidate no matter who he is. and people that would vote against either one of those no matter who they are.

That doesn't leave very much room for rational people that focus on the issues. And it's all but impossible for them anyway because the issues aren't there.

Let's face it the people that really control this country don't want a change, they aren't going to get a change, but they realize that some people want it, at least they want to believe in it that is (of course the people that really want it can see through the BS. see above statement) So they get one guy to say I want a change! and the other guy will say Let's get back to our values! and of course neither one of them will do it. A Dem will send the troops (and the jobs) overseas, and a Repub will raise the taxes and bail out the corporations to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory

it's a smart move on the part of his advisers. Obama is young and hip and he needed to choose someone that was older and more experienced for his VP, so the inverse holds true for McCain.

It seems apparent but look at who we are dealing with here. You got people that will vote republican no matter what. You got people that sincerely believe in McCain and would vote for him no matter what. And then you got the same thing going for all things on the Democrat sides. You got people that will vote for a woman no matter who she is. people who will vote for a black candidate no matter who he is. and people that would vote against either one of those no matter who they are.

That doesn't leave very much room for rational people that focus on the issues. And it's all but impossible for them anyway because the issues aren't there.

Let's face it the people that really control this country don't want a change, they aren't going to get a change, but they realize that some people want it, at least they want to believe in it that is (of course the people that really want it can see through the BS. see above statement) So they get one guy to say I want a change! and the other guy will say Let's get back to our values! and of course neither one of them will do it. A Dem will send the troops (and the jobs) overseas, and a Repub will raise the taxes and bail out the corporations to do it.
    For the most part I think you're right on the ball except this part....

***So they get one guy to say I want a change! and the other guy will say Let's get back to our values! and of course neither one of them will do it. A Dem will send the troops (and the jobs) overseas, and a Repub will raise the taxes and bail out the corporations to do it.****

The reason being is because in four years they want to be re-elected. If they totally don't do what they say they will do, sorry, but I do think they're screwed. Look at Bush Sr. He said "NO NEW TAXES" and then raised just one tax. That pretty much became his undoing for re-election. Now do I think Obama will change EVERYTHING? No...Of course not, but he will have to change enough so that in four years he can come up with enough examples that he did indeed change shit, in order to get re-elected. Will McCain have us go back to our values. No...Of course not, because what the fuck does that even mean? Family values? Moral values? A president can not change "values"...At the same time though do I think he'll raise taxes? If a big part of his platform is saying he will not do that, than, no...He probably won't. He'll just let the deficit train keep on a rollin' and just state that there's bigger issues (terrorists...the perfect out) a foot. McCain has got it pretty easy. For the most part, he's saying (although he is conservative) that the Bush path is the right way to go. At least that's what I get from listening to him. If people elect him and the U.S. just gets worse, well, he actually could almost blame it on Bush to a point and then come up with a new platform when re-election comes. I mean, let's face it, four years ago, Bush said "We need to stay the course". By that time, anybody who actually believed that is what we should do and voted for him...Again..Well...He did EXACTLY what he said he was going to do....Fuck us even harder. Let's face it....In THAT aspect you could make the assumption he actually was a good president because he did follow through and stayed the course....Got re-elected and fucked us for four more years...Just like he promised.

He stuck by his policies yes, but those weren't his campaign issues. He ran on a platform of those "values" I mentioned. He spoke out against abortion and gay marriage, but he didn't pass any legislation against them while in office. He also passed laws favoring immigration, a position that earned him criticism from conservatives which as a group generally lean against it. On the other hand the democrats talked of getting us out of Iraq and in general cleaning up Bush's mess, but Congress hasn't done either one and have pretty much stated that they won't even consider the issue and leave it up to the next president. They are also the one's that overturned the DC handgun ban and spoke up for 2nd amendment issues, as was pointed out, which liberals as a group generally lean against.

So really the point is that they do whatever is politically convenient at the time, not what their ideals are supposed to be about.

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

did some one say MILF!? ..lol.. seriously though, does it realy matter who he picked?...everyone seems to be riding the hope train with Barack "Jesus" Obama....im acually getting kinda of tired of this..is it November yet?

He stuck by his policies yes, but those weren't his campaign issues. He ran on a platform of those "values" I mentioned. He spoke out against abortion and gay marriage, but he didn't pass any legislation against them while in office. He also passed laws favoring immigration, a position that earned him criticism from conservatives which as a group generally lean against it. On the other hand the democrats talked of getting us out of Iraq and in general cleaning up Bush's mess, but Congress hasn't done either one and have pretty much stated that they won't even consider the issue and leave it up to the next president. They are also the one's that overturned the DC handgun ban and spoke up for 2nd amendment issues, as was pointed out, which liberals as a group generally lean against.

So really the point is that they do whatever is politically convenient at the time, not what their ideals are supposed to be about.

Well, it's like I've always said..."Government does what benefits government".

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

she's a whore
    so's Mccain..
    I'm so pissed at morons right now....

A lot of the electorate vote on emotion. I'd give McCain and Obama more credit than most, but this is just a horse race now. If Palin connects with "moderate" voters and shows some gravitas, this will have been a tactically brilliant move by McCain. The timing was perfect. The race is close enough that it may be enough for him to win. If she comes across as Quayle in a dress, he will narrowly lose a race that Obama should logically have won by a landslide. Palin's selection is more about Hillary though. You'll hear charges of sexism from McCain's camp if Obama's team take any major swings at her. They want the bitter nominating process personified: that's Governor Palin. In fairness, she does seem to be very similar to McCain in terms of governing. She's a "maverick" Governor that defeated a sitting Republican.

OEC

Vexbeast's Avatar Eat me, I'm nutritious.

Politicians aren't so cool...

Understatement for emphasis...

Quote Originally Posted by Vexbeast
    Politicians aren't so cool...

Understatement for emphasis...
    "Fake" is never cool.

Trouble is, yes she's a woman, but her platform is so right wing that the moderates aren't going to swing that way just because she has tits. It's obvious to many that Mcain chose a flimsy and transparent campaign strategy over an experienced and qualified running mate. Of course it's all just pagentry and career politics, but don't let the crap that has happened inthis system in the past jade you for what could happen in the future. In a world of endless possibilities and limited probabilities, I have to think it might be just posible that most people, even the right, are damn sick of the bullshit and here's a guy with some actual ideas and plans on how to change it. We need a New New Deal. Did anyone here actually see his acceptance speech? He didn't just tell us what the problems are like they all do. He told us what he wants to do about them and how. How much he actually is able to get done is another story. But please please keep in mind that this isn't like a movie that you see so many comercials for and becomes so popular that you get sick of the hype and don't want to see it even though it probably is a good movie. It's the first presidential election in my life-time where I wont just be voting for a guy who doesn't suck as bad as the other guy. I'm sure he sucks much better. At least Obama didn't pick Edwards. Not that he's a bad guy, but two strong jawed handsome young men in the Whitehouse would just look like Hollywood took over our government.

Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyMoses
    Trouble is, yes she's a woman, but her platform is so right wing that the moderates aren't going to swing that way just because she has tits. It's obvious to many that Mcain chose a flimsy and transparent campaign strategy over an experienced and qualified running mate. Of course it's all just pagentry and career politics, but don't let the crap that has happened inthis system in the past jade you for what could happen in the future. In a world of endless possibilities and limited probabilities, I have to think it might be just posible that most people, even the right, are damn sick of the bullshit and here's a guy with some actual ideas and plans on how to change it. We need a New New Deal. Did anyone here actually see his acceptance speech? He didn't just tell us what the problems are like they all do. He told us what he wants to do about them and how. How much he actually is able to get done is another story. But please please keep in mind that this isn't like a movie that you see so many comercials for and becomes so popular that you get sick of the hype and don't want to see it even though it probably is a good movie. It's the first presidential election in my life-time where I wont just be voting for a guy who doesn't suck as bad as the other guy. I'm sure he sucks much better. At least Obama didn't pick Edwards. Not that he's a bad guy, but two strong jawed handsome young men in the Whitehouse would just look like Hollywood took over our government.
    Palin can be repackaged. I can't base an electoral analysis on my personal preferences. How would you define a New New Deal? I would have to know the specifics. I did not see Obama's acceptance speech. I was at the Saint Paul rally when he clenched the nomination, however.

OEC

I'm not too terribly versed in politits (that was a typo, but I'll go with it) so I couldn't tell you what a New New Deal would be, but Roosevelt was probably the last politician who actually set up a plan that helped pull the country out of a prety bad slump. I'm just saying that it's possible for some new Roosevelt to come out of the woodwork and do some things that the career politicians are afraid to. I just hope he doesn't get shot.
    The speech was magnanamus. If I didn't like him already I would at least be impressed. It wasn't just rhetoric and high falutin' flag waving unlike every single other living dead guy I've seen run for anything anywhere ever.

I could just be talking out of my ass, mind you. Even having an interest in this crap is somewhat new to me.

I could just be talking out of my ass, mind you. Even having an interest in this crap is somewhat new to me.
    Not at all. Your viewpoint is perfectly valid. None of us know for sure how this will play out. I am glad you do care about this election.

OEC

bohoki's Avatar kitty flinger

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    No, I believe he picked a woman BECAUSE of Obama....

If it was, say, John Edwards who won the nomination to run for the democrats, what do you think the chances would be that McCain would still pick this woman?

that doesnt make sense see if obama picked hillary then logic would be to pick a woman

but now what obama picked a white man mccain should have picked a black man or a twofer a black woman

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

this is what Tony Blair did when he initially ran. filled his party with women to get the kudos.

result.... very few of them are any good, thier just there for gender purposes. AND HAZEL BLEARS FUCKING SCARES ME. she never blinks and has that didstant glazed over expresion of a raving lunatic trapped in thier dilusion.

it seems to me that she will probably really push the disasterous waste of offshore drilling, starting with alaska. Obviously all these chumps are eating it right up and will take it up the ass for the promise of more cheap oil and think that it's all just because of a bunch of tree huggers that it's not happening.

I don't think Obama's into drilling. But, yes, bringing the gov. of Alaska into it is another transparent move.

I meant for Big Mac's camp.

Ubiquitress's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    "Fake" is never cool.
    word.
    i think that is what sticks in my craw about this nomination.i have been waiting for a female candidate to come about for some time now ,it should just be probability for histories sake, but was hoping that she would stick out on her own policies, be something to get excited about and yet it bothers me that i feel she is being chosen simply for being female as an advertising point. if she is being chosen for her gender and not her ability to do the job, it seems a bit like a cheap shot. right now the idea of a woman in office seems timely or at least on par with the idea of a black man in office.tit for tint,so to speak,a leveling of the marketing playing field in the race to be more progressive than the other guy,fine but who is she ?what does she think? we are being presented a cartoon of what we are supposed to want ,its advertising .im hoping that the media will throw us some real information based on her merit if she has it to handle the office. frankly,i do'nt care if we have a blue hermaphrodite for president as long as they can handle the job with grace and effectivity.i have never voted for someone because of their gender for any office.i only have hoped for the field to be more balanced in terms of gender for well...balances sake .however this is the first election i have seen in a while that is at least bringing these questions up, we do live in interesting times......

Senior_Diablo's Avatar in a rowboat

well..hopefully who ever becomes vp knows how to fire a gun..those old people arent going to shoot themselves in the face..probably not, any way..

that's a really good point. and it really kinda bums me out.

as Carlin said, "There's something else here that stinks and it's not just politicians. it's the public. the public stinks. if all these politicians suck so bad, where are the honest, decent, people of integrity waiting to step up to the position? Not here. they are all too busy hanging out at the mall."

I hate to believe it, but it seems more and more like that these days.

and to say that race doesn't matter, it's almost worse, because what it really says that it's a boys game and as long as it stays that way, they don't really care about the cut of his suit, so to speak.

McCain chose her for 2 reasons: He shores up the conservative base + he's hoping for a protest vote from women who supported Hillary (poll numbers say yes, but you can't rely on that) He may or may not get it. Her views are pretty standard conservatism. I have heard she is open to civil unions on GLBT, but it is unclear whether court precedent forced her hand on that. Staunch pro-life. Economic moderate to reformer conservative (similar to McCain) She's like McCain as a woman really. It's somewhat uncanny. Her performance will determine a lot in the coming weeks.

OEC

It's not that they're busy hanging out at the mall, it's that they're not busy doing anything so they have time to spend in empty pursuits. Here we are chatting on the internet, another passtime percieved as wasteful if it's all you do. Trouble is, there's people in one ear of the public saying "There's nothing you can do" or even "don't worry about it, we've got it covered" and in the other ear saying "you have a voice, use it." and providing a lot of useless examples of how to "think globally and act locally" that achieve next to nothing but self-serving back patting and assage a little white guilt. The government does what's in it's best interest and is under no obligation to listen to the will of the people. We can all be vocal against domestic drilling, but if they decide that's what they want to do, they'll do it. And once any honest, decent person of integrity steps up to the position they are immediately mistrusted for being a politician. If they become too popular they are burned for being a celebrity. Isn't there a reason Obama is being "elevated" to a level of celebrity? Sure, he's very popular. He seems to me to be an honest, decent person of integrity stepping up to the position.

Ubiquitress's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    McCain chose her for 2 reasons: He shores up the conservative base + he's hoping for a protest vote from women who supported Hillary (poll numbers say yes, but you can't rely on that) He may or may not get it. Her views are pretty standard conservatism. I have heard she is open to civil unions on GLBT, but it is unclear whether court precedent forced her hand on that. Staunch pro-life. Economic moderate to reformer conservative (similar to McCain) She's like McCain as a woman really. It's somewhat uncanny. Her performance will determine a lot in the coming weeks.

OEC
    aiyiyi! that was not what i was hoping for,McCain as a woman is a disturbing thought. i have to wonder why he would pick a staunch pro-lifer if his aim is to target women voters from the dems. i guess only time will tell

Junior_Diablo's Avatar Junior Member

mcain poopy! flflflflfaaaaahhhh!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitress
    aiyiyi! that was not what i was hoping for,McCain as a woman is a disturbing thought. i have to wonder why he would pick a staunch pro-lifer if his aim is to target women voters from the dems. i guess only time will tell
    True. They'll try to talk down abortion + people know the dems are going to stomp ass in the Senate (They won't confirm a Scalia) We'll see. He's counting on the visceral anger over Hillary's loss. It will be close unless Palin is a complete fuck-up.

OEC

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

He's embarrassing himself. It's like bringing a hooker to the highschool reunion.

nothing wrong with that

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Palin was a poor choice in running mates for a great number reasons. For one she holds similar far right beliefs such as anti-abortion and creationism in school for starters. She has many of the same ties bush has to big oil. Those earlier mentioned right views put here at odds with over 80% of the country at large. She seems like a another version of bush only greener. The fact that McCain is literally a heartbeat worries me. Palin doesn't strike me as ready to fill those shoes so earlier on in show. Now we also have the aftermath of this next Hurricane that is to hit New Orleans by Monday. The next president and vice president will have to deal with that one and This will be a make or break how Palin will handle it if all hell breaks loose again. McCain just strikes me with this as last ditch effort. The pool was good at the top but looks like he shot the bottom with a very poor choice. This week I wanna see what McCain/Palin do in response of a repeat of Katrina if Gustav musters that kind of brutal force. Let's hope that hurricane though looses alot of steam and this thing with Palin plays out some place else.

another great reason for offshore drilling: so that the anual hurricanes can come and wipe out all the rigs (oe at least stop production) and then prices can jump back up just like they did last time.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

from what I've read today it seems like he made a very interesting choice............she's seems a little too agressive and effective and way to moral for my tastes............

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

I think it wonderfull Idea that McCain has chosen her to be the VP. I started to read about her and she is more right wing than he is. Which is plus, and might be very good tactical move, get those Hilary votes over to the republicans.

I know people who think McCain has lost his mind on this matter, who care if the VP is woman. Being Governor prepares you more to be president than the senate does. She is more in common with blue collar America than either McCain or Obama does which is another plus for McCain.

Palin is Lifetime NRA Member, is active hunter, has work on her husband fishing boat before coming governor, Runner up to Miss Alaska, She is for drilling. she has done wonders for Alaska. The plus out weights negative in this case. Pro life Pro choice is mute issue with me... I do not care about that.

This has turn my to support McCain. I was on the fence about voting for Bob Bar or McCain. Now McCain can win this thing, but only time will tell.

Morning Glory then it is to Alaska we go! Screw the Caribou, we drill in winter most of the time any was.

whatever you say, bud.

+ Reply to Thread