+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tucker Max vs Gawker

Default Tucker Max vs Gawker

So apparently, while I wasn't paying attention, best-selling author Tucker Max challenged Nick Denton's huge blogging empire's flagship Gawker to a $10,000 bet...
    Read the full article

Malixe's Avatar semi-pseudo-intellectual.

Default Re: Tucker Max vs Gawker

Until today, I'd never even heard of Tucker Max. Now I'm at least slightly curious, so I guess there's proof right there of the truth in the old saying, "Any publicity is -good- publicity."

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

I was trapped in an RV with Tucker Max as he drunkenly sped through Harlem and caused numerous hit and run accidents against parked cars and almost a couple people. He's a grade A shitbag and I will never again contribute to his success.

and your little dog too

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    I was trapped in an RV with Tucker Max as he drunkenly sped through Harlem and caused numerous hit and run accidents against parked cars and almost a couple people. He's a grade A shitbag and I will never again contribute to his success.

details?

It was when we all met up in NY for "Tuckerfest" way back in 2001. It was supposed to be for a good number of the messageboard regulars to meet. Tucker rented an RV and him and a bunch of the forum regs, myself included, went driving around. One of the other members threw a beer bottle out the window and it hit an SUV in the next lane who started chasing us through Harlem. Tucker lost control and went banging back and forth up the rows of parked cars on either side. When the camper stopped I jumped out and said fuck you guys, enjoy prison. I was underage at the time and fairly drunk. I walked all the way from the north of Harlem to the Port Authority. Tucker and the crew got arrested and by the time I got home I had been banned from the boards and wasn't even allowed to tell my side while they talked about how I "ran away" at a full sprint like a pussy. Fuck those guys. Fuck 'em all.

Hmmm, interesting story Rockwulf.

I know a guy like that. I won't even mention his name if I can help it.

Must be nice to have money left over from all that beer for lawyers. (Oh the things I'd do if I could afford the lawyers.)

Throwing shit at random SUV's in Harlem is a good way to get your car/RV shot up, and get someone killed by off duty police officers. (Who will be acquitted.) We had one like that last year. Two drivers got pissed at each other, one was an off duty cop, shot up the other car someone died. Yay.

and your little dog too

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    It was when we all met up in NY for "Tuckerfest" way back in 2001. It was supposed to be for a good number of the messageboard regulars to meet. Tucker rented an RV and him and a bunch of the forum regs, myself included, went driving around. One of the other members threw a beer bottle out the window and it hit an SUV in the next lane who started chasing us through Harlem. Tucker lost control and went banging back and forth up the rows of parked cars on either side. When the camper stopped I jumped out and said fuck you guys, enjoy prison. I was underage at the time and fairly drunk. I walked all the way from the north of Harlem to the Port Authority. Tucker and the crew got arrested and by the time I got home I had been banned from the boards and wasn't even allowed to tell my side while they talked about how I "ran away" at a full sprint like a pussy. Fuck those guys. Fuck 'em all.

that makes more sense. you did not seem like the usual sort of person who would hate him. i hate forum censorship. how much trouble did they get in?

I don't know. I did hear they all got arrested though.

I used to be a big fan but meeting him and actually seeing how he interacts with people and hearing his high-girly voice with a hint of a lisp, I can see exactly how much he embellishes his stories.

Darla's Avatar I am Queen Carlotta!

Tucker Max first hit my radar when I started reading The Bunny Blog. Neither Bunny nor her ex-boyfriend Tucker ever felt like "my kind of people," and I eventually lost interest in both...but one thing I definitely remember was Tucker's talent for making himself sound like a chucklehead-fratboy-jerkoff.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Darla
    Tucker Max first hit my radar when I started reading The Bunny Blog. Neither Bunny nor her ex-boyfriend Tucker ever felt like "my kind of people," and I eventually lost interest in both...but one thing I definitely remember was Tucker's talent for making himself sound like a chucklehead-fratboy-jerkoff.

I think anyone's final work is going to be, if all goes normally, better than their dashed off blog or forum sort of entries. I met Bunny once for approximately a nanosecond and she was pleasant, but I really didn't talk to here or anything to have a personal impression. I looked over at her blog, because I'm a fan of Tucker Max's writing, and the little bit I looked at addressed primarily poop and low self-esteem, both things everyone has to deal with sometimes, but neither things I'd like to focus on. But, if she did a book, I'm sure she would pare things down to entries which was really written and not just what happened to hit the page on a particular day.

Like I said in the article, folks who are allergic to Tucker Max generally complain about frat boy something or other and refer to his work as fratire, but Tucker Max says he has never belonged to a fraternity and I believe him. So why would you call him a fratboy? I feel like there is something being communicated there, but I'm not sure I'm receiving the thought from the words used.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I think anyone's final work is going to be, if all goes normally, better than their dashed off blog or forum sort of entries. I met Bunny once for approximately a nanosecond and she was pleasant, but I really didn't talk to here or anything to have a personal impression. I looked over at her blog, because I'm a fan of Tucker Max's writing, and the little bit I looked at addressed primarily poop and low self-esteem, both things everyone has to deal with sometimes, but neither things I'd like to focus on. But, if she did a book, I'm sure she would pare things down to entries which was really written and not just what happened to hit the page on a particular day.

Like I said in the article, folks who are allergic to Tucker Max generally complain about frat boy something or other and refer to his work as fratire, but Tucker Max says he has never belonged to a fraternity and I believe him. So why would you call him a fratboy? I feel like there is something being communicated there, but I'm not sure I'm receiving the thought from the words used.
    Amen on that I can't speak to Max, but I would not equate someone who pulled that off at Duke Law with "fratboy" as they are generally portrayed. He may have chose to do so. He would likely have the acumen to do as he pleased though.

OEC

I know that at least within the circles I hang out in "frat boy" is just a synonym for a certain type of fucking tool bag.

I know several people from the "greek" system that are awesome. But most of them should chug a gallon of gasoline and then choke on a lit match. The same could be true for people that have never been part of the "greeks" but still come off like they were. Or wish they were.

You can be a fucking tool bag. Just consider membership in a fraternity the wrench that your bag has been missing.

Darla's Avatar I am Queen Carlotta!

I think anyone's final work is going to be, if all goes normally, better than their dashed off blog or forum sort of entries. I think anyone's final work is going to be, if all goes normally, better than their dashed off blog or forum sort of entries. I met Bunny once for approximately a nanosecond and she was pleasant, but I really didn't talk to here or anything to have a personal impression. I looked over at her blog, because I'm a fan of Tucker Max's writing, and the little bit I looked at addressed primarily poop and low self-esteem, both things everyone has to deal with sometimes, but neither things I'd like to focus on. But, if she did a book, I'm sure she would pare things down to entries which was really written and not just what happened to hit the page on a particular day.
    Yeah, as I said, I lost interest in Bunny pretty quickly (how many times can you read about PMS and dog pee?) and I never got into Tucker at all. The minutiae of blogging can be a real pain to slog through.

I guess "fratboy" has just become something of a modern archetype; he's the young, wealthy, beer-swilling misogynist who worships his car and ridicules the chicks who blow him in the bar's bathroom. Tucker's blog entires made me see him as that guy...but I could never go so far as to say he actually was that guy because I've never met him.

I've also never met anyone from Gawker but I can say that some of the stuff they post makes them look pretty jerky, too. ;>

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Darla
    Yeah, as I said, I lost interest in Bunny pretty quickly (how many times can you read about PMS and dog pee?) and I never got into Tucker at all. The minutiae of blogging can be a real pain to slog through.

I guess "fratboy" has just become something of a modern archetype; he's the young, wealthy, beer-swilling misogynist who worships his car and ridicules the chicks who blow him in the bar's bathroom. Tucker's blog entires made me see him as that guy...but I could never go so far as to say he actually was that guy because I've never met him.

I've also never met anyone from Gawker but I can say that some of the stuff they post makes them look pretty jerky, too. ;>

See, this is what I'm kinda baffled by. I live in Los Angeles, which is pretty much the World Capitol of Car Dickishness. So does Tucker Max. But I've never seen him mention his ride online or heard him mention it in person or seen him bring it up in his book. In fact, the only mention of him driving in I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell was him drunk driving a bar pickup's vehicle into the window of a donut shop. I'm not sure if Tucker Max even has a car and I'm positive, if he does, it is not an object of worship for him.

I imagine he has sold some books by tapping into what people perceive as an archetype, but it seems kind of unfair too because it seems like people get really enraged by something archetypal about him, rather than anything he personally has actually done or written. (Except for Rockwulf.)

Can someone tell me the age cut-off for young and dollar minimum for wealthy?

+ Reply to Thread