+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wii Fit

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

Default Wii Fit

Wii Fit... question?

Okay, so does this game actually help you tone up/lose weight?
    I'm really curious about this.

If you own it, did it help you lose weight or tone up?

Is it fun? On a scale from 1-5 what do you give it in terms of fun? (5 being really fun)

Or in the end....its it just another video game that has nothing to do with working on your fitness. It's just a big hoax?

episode allah's Avatar iconoclast

Default Re: Wii Fit

if you combine this with the brain-training 'games' available fom nintendo you'll end with Schwarz's pecs and a BMI to challenge hasslehoff's but also be as smart as Albert Einstein.

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

I don't have one, but I've been trying to find one. I'm starting to think that they area a hoax in that aspect.

From what I gather from the reviews I've read, a lot of people think they are fun. A great way to get active, but it is no replacement for an actual workout, but can be a fun addition to one.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

It gets you waving your arms. Wiiiiii.

This, you're rail thin as it is. If you get any thinner, you'll make Iggy Pop look like Chris Farley.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

as long as you keep up with it and do the chalanges honestly, and balanced (i mean dont just use the snowboard game and ONLY the snowboard game) then yes.

but dont forget to try other things in addition. for those fortunate to have a sand beach, go for a run on soft sand (honestly, that is the best surface to run on) or dry sand if you want to burn calories (i used to hate the dune stages of cross country but apreciated them)

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

we played wii fit when i was in physical rehab. I dont think it will get your body in tip top shape but it will get you acustomed to moving around and doing stuff. Its used best in combination with other forms of exercise i think

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I'm too out of shape to play the wii. I think I'll stick to the X-box with wireless remote so I don't have to get up off the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I'm too out of shape to play the wii. I think I'll stick to the X-box with wireless remote so I don't have to get up off the couch.
    The Wii remote does the same

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

yeah, but you have to move your arm around, not just your thumbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    yeah, but you have to move your arm around, not just your thumbs.
    Unless it's Big Brain Academy...then it's all point and click. Exercise your mind!

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

From what I've seen of it (and this is a little fuzzy) it has a little calorie counter or somesuch and you have a profile, so it reports fitness progress and whatnot. Mostly measuring Body Mass Index progress I think. I don't know what sort of positive impact the system has had for people though. I didn't use it, given the horrible shape my spine was in at the time and all. It does look like fun.

It could be a mental thing.. When the Wii first came out there was people reporting weight loss just by having to move with the remote alone..

So naturally Nintendo had to put that to use, and Wii Fit is born. I haven't heard much about success stories either..but from what I know about it it's a few games (Like WiiPlay) that just move your body (Like Skiing). So not sure how much weight can be lost by moving left to right..or it could be a psycho-sematic thing. Either way it does look like fun regardless. :^)

My wife is doing the celebrity fit club.com diet for 3 months now, and has lost about 40 pounds. So that may be a more "fit" option...hehe..pun :^)

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

We have one and it was a bitch to find. You also have to keep in mind that their is different sections, so you can work on balance, there is yoga and muscle work out, so if you do those evenly it should help you ,lose weight and tone up, but like other types of exercise you need to do it regulary.
    Bouns fact: during sex you tone all your muscles.

Scott's Avatar Senior Member

it's fun.. but i haven't used ours in a while because I know it will yell at me for not using it.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

when you step on it after it say to step of it says "ow!" and Im thinking "shit I killed it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    It gets you waving your arms. Wiiiiii.

This, you're rail thin as it is. If you get any thinner, you'll make Iggy Pop look like Chris Farley.

LOL..I just want to get toned muscles. I posted it on my LJ and supposedly it does work for toning up too

Lift weight, and eat quality food.

THAT will "tone you up".

You can do thousands of other things that might be hit or miss, but those two things will WORK.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    From what I've seen of it (and this is a little fuzzy) it has a little calorie counter or somesuch and you have a profile, so it reports fitness progress and whatnot. Mostly measuring Body Mass Index progress I think. I don't know what sort of positive impact the system has had for people though. I didn't use it, given the horrible shape my spine was in at the time and all. It does look like fun.

Ahhh..yeah.. When I bought my Wii I was excited hoping to have Michelle (machina) come over to play but then she reminded me about her back. There are still some gays that you guys can play that won't hurt you back, like Mario Kart is fucken fun! (playing as i type

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle Harlequin
    There are still some gays that you guys can play that won't hurt you back, like Mario Kart is fucken fun! (playing as i type
    And Freudian slipping like a motherfucker.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    it's fun.. but i haven't used ours in a while because I know it will yell at me for not using it.

Somehow that seems like a feature which is backfiring.

haha, it can definatley help you lose weight, if you want you can have a resonable intense work out on it, its a lot of fun, especially if theres some one else there too!

LaurenWK's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Ahaha, that's kind of awesome.

I'm not sure if the Wii Fit gets you in awesome shape... but I want one, haha. Any sort of moving around has got to count for something, right?

I've no experience, but I think it's a pretty good idea, especially giving people a personal profile that counts your presumed progress. People will sit and farm gold in online games for months so long as there's an easily accessed screen clearly displaying attributing them their progress in unambiguous numerical values and there's some way to show those values off to others; games trigger a kind of supranormal reaction in the mental mechanics that usually govern ambition and motivation.

I do think they'd better let people share their health profiles online though, cause having to actually go out and get people to recognise the improvements in your physical form might feel a bit too intangible to measure up to MMORPG standards.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

i don't have wii, don't expect to ever have wii.
    if i were to splurge on anything ridiculous, it would be DDR.
    >.>
    cause. i like to dance and little japanese voices telling me i did good or not.
    ehhhh.
    i need to exercise though and i have no motivation other than "i need to lose weight" which isn't all that helpful...

LaurenWK's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by soma_stardust

i don't have wii, don't expect to ever have wii.
    if i were to splurge on anything ridiculous, it would be DDR.
    >.>
    cause. i like to dance and little japanese voices telling me i did good or not.
    ehhhh.
    i need to exercise though and i have no motivation other than "i need to lose weight" which isn't all that helpful...
    I'd rather have DDR than Wii, too.... Both would be nice, though, haha.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

sister had one for her Birthday, and she finds it fantastic. She's disabled with back injuries since a few accidents as a kid in PE lessons and finally working in care (after her coach building apprenticeship was terminated due to H&S reasons regarding her stroke) and the exercises seem to be doing well for centering her posture and working on her back.

I also have a Friend in Detroit who lost a heck of a lot of excess wieght via DDR

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack

I read somewhere that some company for rehabilitation was trying to sue Nintendo for the Wii because they invented the remote for people that were learning to walk and move their limbs and stuff all over again after horrible accidents and stuff..

+ Reply to Thread