+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dead Kennedys Too Drunk to Fuck

Default Dead Kennedys Too Drunk to Fuck

Last week, the Dead Kennedys announced an indefinite hiatus from touring, due to health issues suffered by bassist Klaus Flouride and drummer D.H. Peligro. Although I was fangirl-thrilled to meet East Bay Ray at a coffee shop a couple years back, I personally find it depressing when bands tour without key original members. A Jello Biafra-less DK would just bum me out.

Sometimes a group of...
    Read the full article

Default Re: Dead Kennedys Too Drunk to Fuck

Yeah, post break up band squabbles are never fun to watch for their fans.

Witness David Bryne, and the Talking Heads, or Danzig and the Misfits, and various others. (FEAR and Lee Ving, seems a little less acrimonious, but I wasn't there so I don't know.) And then you bring labels into it and sheesh... Bryne claims to have tons more Talking Heads material that the label won't let him release.

Still it would kind of hella suck to see the DK being used to peddle khakis, or dish soap. Jello did the right thing, in the wrong way it seems.

This all leads down a twisty slope, do a bunch of punk rock kids need to 'respect the intellectual property' of some band when naming a group house? On the other hand punk's always been big on originality so in a way some overt copyright violations would never be cool, even if calling in lawyers is more 'uncool'.

One can imagine a dystopian future where a kid drawing a band logo on his back pack in ball point, or his jeans gets a visit from jack booted RIAA goons with a cease and desist. But that would be just silly.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

"DK" had been playing with Brandon Cruz from Dr. Know as frontman. I never went to any of their shows. The other original members sued Jello some years ago. It involved royalties + Alternative Tentacles.

I saw East Bay Ray play in a supporting band for The Cramps some years ago. It was really bizarre. I forget the name even. She had been a one hit wonder. It took awhile for it to dawn on us that it was indeed Ray.

Jello still will work clean-up at the Gilman on occasion. He will surely have more collaborative albums out and appears occasionally with other A.T. bands.

I deny the existence of "Misfits" as well. I don't believe Jerry Only has a compelling excuse to maintain the name.

A DK guitarist (the one with numbers for a name) called the cops on several explicit shows in SF during the 90s. The most infamous was The Insaints whom I saw play once with Diesel Boys. She could aim her piss and sing a perfect p-rock set with 5 women performing cunnilingus on her in rapid succession. It was impressive.

Both Only and the D.K. law enforcement hugging axe player are born-again (which I have nothing against beyond it being imposed on our shows)

Well, that's my trivia for the day.

OEC

Malixe's Avatar semi-pseudo-intellectual.

It's probably blasphemy to say so here, but this is -my- favorite version of 'Too Drunk to Fuck'.

Now I guess I'll find out if that counts as a 'link that I can't post until I hit 15 posts'. I suppose I ought to try to be more gregarious, but if I got nothing to say, then I don't say it. More people should try that.

Malixe's Avatar semi-pseudo-intellectual.

Apparently it does, or else I did it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Malixe

Now I guess I'll find out if that counts as a 'link that I can't post until I hit 15 posts'. I suppose I ought to try to be more gregarious, but if I got nothing to say, then I don't say it. More people should try that.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by One Eyed Cat
    The Insaints
    OEC
    holy shit that's old school. damn, I'm old, lol.

PS: it's not the dead kennedys without jello. and I'm glad jello told levis to fuck off, seeing that commercial would have made me cry probably.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue

PS: it's not the dead kennedys without jello. and I'm glad jello told levis to fuck off, seeing that commercial would have made me cry probably.
    Saw em in '94. Just looked em up online.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INSAINTS (not that wickedpedia is ever totally accurate)

Not surprising I suppose. RIP Marian.

The Diesel Queens were the supporting band. I still mix them up with Diesel Boy I suppose. They played in diapers. This was after the Gilman incident. They made us sign a waiver saying we weren't law enforcement (I don't think that would have worked had there been a narc but it was kinda funny).

Also a page at sillyspace (type theinsaints) dunno what's up with that other singer in '05.

OEC

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue

A piece of me died when the Buzzcocks had a song in that SUV commercial. I'm pleased I can't remember the brand.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

"DK" had been playing with Brandon Cruz from Dr. Know as frontman. I never went to any of their shows. The other original members sued Jello some years ago. It involved royalties + Alternative Tentacles.

I saw East Bay Ray play in a supporting band for The Cramps some years ago. It was really bizarre. I forget the name even. She had been a one hit wonder. It took awhile for it to dawn on us that it was indeed Ray.

Jello still will work clean-up at the Gilman on occasion. He will surely have more collaborative albums out and appears occasionally with other A.T. bands.

I deny the existence of "Misfits" as well. I don't believe Jerry Only has a compelling excuse to maintain the name.

A DK guitarist (the one with numbers for a name) called the cops on several explicit shows in SF during the 90s. The most infamous was The Insaints whom I saw play once with Diesel Boys. She could aim her piss and sing a perfect p-rock set with 5 women performing cunnilingus on her in rapid succession. It was impressive.

Both Only and the D.K. law enforcement hugging axe player are born-again (which I have nothing against beyond it being imposed on our shows)

Well, that's my trivia for the day.

OEC

****I deny the existence of "Misfits" as well. I don't believe Jerry Only has a compelling excuse to maintain the name****

Amen. The band doesn't even remind me of the Misfits anymore. Just not the same sound as the old skool Misfits. Just using a "brand" for money making.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    ****I deny the existence of "Misfits" as well. I don't believe Jerry Only has a compelling excuse to maintain the name****

Amen. The band doesn't even remind me of the Misfits anymore. Just not the same sound as the old skool Misfits. Just using a "brand" for money making.
    Yeah, it's a shame. There are a lot of great new horror punk bands out there. They should lay that name to rest. Money may talk with Jerry, but it takes something away from the legacy of brutality earned by the actual Misfits experience.

OEC

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Yeah, it's a shame. There are a lot of great new horror punk bands out there. They should lay that name to rest. Money may talk with Jerry, but it takes something away from the legacy of brutality earned by the actual Misfits experience.

OEC
    Instead of a side project, Jerry should just make Osaka Popstar his full time gig and end all the "Misfit" fakeness...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

dead kennedys selling levis.....................I think there's some sort of quantum equation that explains why that can't happen

+ Reply to Thread