+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's In Yer Ears?

Default What's In Yer Ears?

The musical stuff, not the sludge in your canals. I've currently got the latest Anders Manga albums, X's in the Eyes, and I'm loving it.

What are you listening to these days, ladies and gentlemen? I'm, um, all ears!

Default Re: What's In Yer Ears?

Ack! That's X's and the Eyes. I'm typing too fast!

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

i recently discovered Hank III and i think he rocks.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by KilLAtomiK
    i recently discovered Hank III and i think he rocks.
    As in Hank Williams III?

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

just got the new slipknot cd, "all hope is gone" so ive been listening to that. as well as some new stuff by unter null off her upcoming album, via her ******* page. and "no, virginia" by the dresden dolls. at night, i fall asleep to angelspit's "krankhaus" and "blood, death and ivory" or disturbed's newest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    As in Hank Williams III?
    i dont know of any other Hank III. iim real big on Hank Sr but not so much on junior wich is why i never bothered lookin up Hank III but now i wish i started listenin to him sooner

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

Jill Tracy

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

some piano and viola thing

Just One Fix

Dr. Horrible rips...for like a week now...I can't stop...and now the official soundtrack is supposedly out...ack.

All the angels sing cause you're gunna die

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

Ive got a hold of the new slipknow cd and Past, Present and Fututre by Rob Zombie

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

Oh, and there is plenty of earwx in my ears too

My media library says that my top 10 most played tracks over the last 3 months are:

Marilyn Manson - Evidence
    Rotersand - Dare To Live
    Marilyn Manson - Heart Shaped Glasses
    The Crüxshadows - Foreverlast
    Tori Amos - Lust
    Marilyn Manson - Are You The Rabbit
    Diorama - Advance
    Neelix - Coloured Light
    X-Dream - We Interface
    Marilyn Manson - If I Was Your Vampire

More recently its been the Velvet Goldmine soundtrack, the Scary Bitches and Madonna's 'Give It 2 Me', though.

Ali Stardust's Avatar Member

The Used
    Celldweller
    Angelspit
    and i have played Doll-Digga Buzz-Buzz Ziggety-Zag by Marilyn Manson over and over for the past 4 days

TheCosmicSheriff's Avatar If I could, would I?

I HAVE A ROOK PIERCING IN MY EAR!
    Listening mainly to MSI and Ministry!

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Stardust
    and i have played Doll-Digga Buzz-Buzz Ziggety-Zag by Marilyn Manson over and over for the past 4 days
    Haha, I've been there. Very repeatable song once you get into it.

Ali Stardust's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    Haha, I've been there. Very repeatable song once you get into it.
    i find the chorus very infectious i just cant get rid of it

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I've been rediscovering my portishead cds lately.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Madonna's 'Give It 2 Me',
    I'm listening to this right now I love Madonna.

Ubiquitress's Avatar Senior Member

Mr.Scruff

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

As of late I've been listening to:

Carnifex
    Cannibal Corpse
    Suicide Silence
    Old Arch Enemy
    and the new Metallica

I keep going back to the Dr. Horrible soundtrack, too. "Laundry day! See you there!" It's just so effing great.

I'm thinkin' I need to pick up the new Slipknot. A friend just gave me the new Nick Cave and I'm feeling kind of divided about it.

boy i have not heard of like 95% of the artists named on this thread so far i must be out of it lol

The Hissyfits - Wasted

I listened to tracks from the new Metallica album today because all the reviewers said it's just like Metallica old skool....Yeah, it's not. Reviewers never no shit. I don't know why I always fall for it.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitress
    Mr.Scruff
    that's good shit.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Celldweller++++

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    I listened to tracks from the new Metallica album today because all the reviewers said it's just like Metallica old skool....Yeah, it's not. Reviewers never no shit. I don't know why I always fall for it.
    Metallica need to hang up their fuckin skates.

I walked into Hot Topic looking for junk in their welfare bin - I've found some stuff there once in a blue moon that transcends their mallternative CRAP.

AnyHOO

I am approached no less then FIVE TIMES by THREE SEPARATE mallternative clerks at HT asking me, with the same scripted pitch, if I wanted to buy the new Metallica disc for only, wait for it, $5.

I'm like "you'll pay me $5 to take that piece of shit off your hands"?

SCOWL

I knew it was gonna SUCK BALLS even before it was released. Metallica are hasbeens who've fallen FAR from their soul and roots.

If you want to see why, just look at "Some Kind of Monster" - the documentary for the making of "St. Anger" that makes Spinal Tap look like a serious academic work.

It was supposed to show their return to glory - their down and dirty, grim and grimy stripped down new phoenix ascending.

Their bassist goes "fuck man, you all suck" and walks out. They go to find him playing with Voi Vod and he drops out the back door, leaving them standing there like something out of a John Hughes movie, waiting for the date to come back from the bathroom.

James "dartboard face" Hetfield fucks off to rehab, and comes back even limper in the dick than before. The daft cunt even gets up in the middle of a concert in a max security prison (looks like they were trying to do Metalocalypse) and starts talking Steve Segal level mystic shit about how we're all locked up in our own way. Listen. You've got a face like a welder's bench and you've forgotten how to sing from your balls. Every time I hear "Wherever I may roam" I want to VOMIT.

I taught the SKOM drinking game to some people - you're SHITFACED in minutes. For the uninitiated - you take a hit off a bottle of booze every time one of them talks about their motherfucking feelings. Kirk "what closet?" Hammett's lisping falsetto routines'll get you into alcoholic coma.

"Well, James. It hurts my feelings when I feel that, you know, taking your feelings into consideration, we feel that you feel that I feel" CHRIST IF I WANTED THIS SHIT I'D READ CATHY GUISEWITE. HINT: the perm isn't hiding the fact that your hair is thinner than a telenovela script. And stop mincing around in leather pants, for fuck's sake.

Then there's Lars "I need a new Lamborghini - NAPSTER BAD" Ulrich, selling off his art collection in Christie's and sobbing the whole fucking time, saying that as he's putting them on the block (to get rid of his aristocratic ways that have strayed him from his roots) he's actually, you know, seeing them really for the first time, and they really affect his feelings (drink) and he's really in touch with himself (drink) for the first time and (alcoholic vomiting).

Hint, Lars: your problem is not that your trophy wife is making you sell your shitty expensive paintings to rich douchebags as you serve them champagne like some kind of waiter, whooping every time some random smear of acrylic nets you another $2 million... it's that you're a balding fat douchebag who can't keep time and whose fills truly suck.

When I was a teenager, way back when, I told some dude at my school who tattooed the Metallica logo on his bicep that he'd regret it later. That they'd eventually be like Blue Oyster Cult, some cult act that hits a small club for a handful of fat acid casualty burnouts. He told me in a thick Quebecois accent "FUCK OFF METALLICA HAR HEXCELLENT OSTIE"

I SAW HIM the last time I was in town. Still had the goddamn tattoo. I walked up to him, pointed at him, and started crooning "Wherever I may ro-hoam...." and laughed. He recognized me and was like "FUCK OFF MAN FUCK YOU GOD DAMN IT"

BECAUSE I WAS RIGHT.

Dear Metallica: If you want to get back on top, stop fooling yourself you draw crowds. You draw crowds in places like France, Romania and Brazil. Take a few Slayer CDs, grind them up, SNORT THEM, and then go BACK into the studio and sing like you're gargling with razor blades. Stop going for a spot on SNL and try finding your balls again.

St. Anger was bass'd by a dude who looks like a disc jockey on a classic rock station. You don't need relationship counselling, success coaches or fucking Gantt charts. You need some bottles of bourbon and to brain the FUCK out of each other with the empties when you start to suck or piss each other off.

I find the fact that they're trying to sell their record so hard indication of how desperate they are.

They sold the $5.98 Garage EP so that their fans could more easily afford it, when they could easily have afforded to double the price. They're selling the new album for $5 at Hot Topic in a desperate bid to boost sales, finding as the price goes up the less people want it.

They're plugging the motherfucker on XM radio like anyone gives a shit.

There's an old Chinese story about a butcher who turns down marriage to a princess, saying that he knows from experience that meat that is fresh and wholesome does not need to be sold. (She turns out to have a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle).

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

1" glass plugs..they are while but they're kinda opalescent

they're very cute

episode allah's Avatar iconoclast

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    I'm listening to this right now I love Madonna.
    I've lost all semblance of respect for Madonna as a person after seeing the video for Get Stupid. Apparently she thinks it's smart and sassy to use a juxtaposition of images showing Hitler, Mugabe and McCann (representing the bad guys) on the one side and Lennon, Gandhi and obama on the other (representing the good guys). What is she 16?

As much as I like Gandhi (the skinny guy looses out something severe by being interpolated with Michael Moore) this does seem to be one of the most stupid things I've ever seen, but then again, I suppose that that makes the title particularly appropriate…

Standing ovation for Mister BP.

currenttly in my ears: The Small Faces, Ogdens Celebrated Nut-Gone Flake

right now i have my chillout playlist it includes

Mos Def Ghetto--Rock
    Eisley--Marvelous Things
    The Roots--The Seed
    The Streets--Blinded By The Light
    Imogen Heap--Say Goodnight and Go
    The Early November--Driving South
    The Decemberists--O Valencia
    Nas--Made You Look

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    I find the fact that they're trying to sell their record so hard indication of how desperate they are.

They sold the $5.98 Garage EP so that their fans could more easily afford it, when they could easily have afforded to double the price. They're selling the new album for $5 at Hot Topic in a desperate bid to boost sales, finding as the price goes up the less people want it.

They're plugging the motherfucker on XM radio like anyone gives a shit.

There's an old Chinese story about a butcher who turns down marriage to a princess, saying that he knows from experience that meat that is fresh and wholesome does not need to be sold. (She turns out to have a face like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle).
    Yeah...It's always hard to watch a band rise up and then finally succumb to "selling out" and GOD! Did Metallica do that in a big way or what? That same time the $5.98 album came out, they also came out with a $19.98 video that was all videos from bootleggers. The reason they did this? Because on the box they write, "Well we finally went and did what we always talked about not doing. Releasing a vid!! Before you throw up in digust let us tell you the idea behind this. First of all this is not your typical shit home video done with high tech 10 camera production and sound, it's a compliation of boot leg footage...." and goes on from there. I remember when I bought this VCR tape back in '87, I thought, yeah, these guys are for real. No selling out for them! Of course, within like a fuckin' year, they made "One" for MTV and it went downhill from there. "Kill 'Em all", "Ride the Lightening", "Master of Puppets" and partially "And Justice For All" were fucking great! After that...Well...It all became "Let's make the kind of music a more broader fan base can enjoy". Which equates too..."Let's make a shitload of money by selling off our integrity." You're right, BP....They should just fuckin' hang it up. Once Hetfield took singing lessons, there was just no way this band will ever be the raw, crazy ass band of ole.

It's the same story as always. Band becomes a certain hot property and from there, falls in love with money and is no longer the same band. The saddest thing about Metallica is back in the day, they ALWAYS said they would never do that.....And of course, before you knew it, they not only did it, but except for Kiss (Gene Simmons would sell off his kids to make a buck), became the biggest sellouts I think in Heavy Metal history.

DonkeyMoses's Avatar Senior Member

Kid Koala!

I'm not opposed to bands changing their sound - in fact, I have a FUCKTON of respect for Celtic Frost, who put industrial sounds and digital drum machines into their music, as well as orchestral backing and suchlike. A LOT of bands have bit from Celtic Frost. I don't necessarily LIKE everything that Celtic Frost has ever done, but they've broken a ton of ground and paved the way for a lot of other bands who've taken their ideas and run with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-HfWKxgBw

At one point they came out with a Bon Jovi-type look and sound, and for them, it was "frig, let's just try it". A bold, Ornette Coleman type of move, and though it really wasn't CF, it was CF covering Bon Jovi, not trying to be them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCKVJz6gcOs

And when it didn't work, they did something ELSE.
    Metal with drum machines? Look at bands that do that all the time, now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37ku1CzCpEs

Orchestral work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym2ki...eature=related

There's a whole SHITLOAD of bands who do that now......

Now they're doing something their thing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31cG-RJCZU

They're friends with HR Giger, and it shows.

-------

The one thing they DIDN'T do is cut their hair, wear designer clothes, and do a "lite" version of their own shit to get more airplay.

Making a shitload of money doesn't make you a sell out. Changing your sound DELIBERATELY to try and make more, listening to marketing gurus and making decisions by focus group - sellout.

DonkeyMoses's Avatar Senior Member

I think we'll see a lot less of this "sell out" thing with more lables being independant. For years, bands were striving to "get signed" just so they could focus on music as a career rather than a hobby. Then the record company sells them out, or they're forced to produce when they really don't have anything instead of doing it when the inspiration is there. I think a lot of bands just mature as musicians too. They get older and stert writting music that reflects that. Then the fans who loved what they did when they were young and wild get pissed of. Or the other way around, they don't mature and continue trying to write from a place that they don't really feel because they're not there anymore just to keep their fanbase happy and it still sucks.

DM - labels are dying. With file sharing, the old model of record once sell multiple times is over.

Music is going back to "entertain". It's about the shows, now. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Euthanasia
    "Laundry day! See you there!"
    Under things!
    Tumbah-ling!

/runs

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    I'm not opposed to bands changing their sound - in fact, I have a FUCKTON of respect for Celtic Frost, who put industrial sounds and digital drum machines into their music, as well as orchestral backing and suchlike. A LOT of bands have bit from Celtic Frost. I don't necessarily LIKE everything that Celtic Frost has ever done, but they've broken a ton of ground and paved the way for a lot of other bands who've taken their ideas and run with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-HfWKxgBw

At one point they came out with a Bon Jovi-type look and sound, and for them, it was "frig, let's just try it". A bold, Ornette Coleman type of move, and though it really wasn't CF, it was CF covering Bon Jovi, not trying to be them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCKVJz6gcOs

And when it didn't work, they did something ELSE.
    Metal with drum machines? Look at bands that do that all the time, now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37ku1CzCpEs

Orchestral work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym2ki...eature=related

There's a whole SHITLOAD of bands who do that now......

Now they're doing something their thing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T31cG-RJCZU

They're friends with HR Giger, and it shows.

-------

The one thing they DIDN'T do is cut their hair, wear designer clothes, and do a "lite" version of their own shit to get more airplay.

Making a shitload of money doesn't make you a sell out. Changing your sound DELIBERATELY to try and make more, listening to marketing gurus and making decisions by focus group - sellout.
    ***I'm not opposed to bands changing their sound***

Of course not....Shit, look at the Beatles. If they didn't change their sound, they'd be gone by 1966 and maybe the "alive" Beatles would be playing some shit club somewhere doing "reunion" tours still playing covers like "Roll Over Beethoven ". I think though you reeaallllyyy have to be talented in order to change your sound and still have the same fans from the beginning enjoy your music. That doesn't happen very often.

I'm also don't exactly think making a shitload of money equates to selling out.

With Metallica though, I don't think it was about "changing" their sound because they were maturing. I really do, like you BP, think they changed it for more airplay, to make more money...And it worked...At the cost of losing most of their original fans. Maybe if their sound start changing about 5-7 years ago, maybe I would believe it was do to maturing, but to go from "And Justice For All" to the "Black" album....To me it was like night and day. One minute non-metal heads are making fun of you for listening to Metallica...The next, they're asking you if you bought the new "Black" album because it's great. No thank you.

+ Reply to Thread