+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can you drink as much as you used to?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Can you drink as much as you used to?

My friend Sabrina's birthday was yesterday. Our party actually drank ALL the champagne in the restaurant. Like literally there was none left and the restaurant let some folks go to the store and bring in more. I had enough to end up singing karaoke for like the second time ever.

I feel like death in a blender today though. I feel like I used to have better recovery time or maybe we all really did drink that much.

Do you find that, over time, especially if you do not drink particularly often, your tolerance goes down and your recovery time takes longer?

drewblood's Avatar Senior Member

Default Re: Can you drink as much as you used to?

yes i can... but i forsee this changing someday maybe.

i know some heavy drinkers who deteriorate as they get older and cant function after 3-4 drinks... their bodies just cant handle it anymore.

...but...personally i've been a daily drinker for 10 years... my dad has been a daily drinker for 40 years.... last week we each had a 750ml of wine at night, woke up at 4am and went on a 18 mile, 4 mountain hike.... i'm hoping i can continue that trend for some time to come...

errrr.. i meant 1500 ml... the double bottle.

Maybe if I were a hiker, I'd be less blarghy after a night of excess. You might be onto something there.

if you want to go hiking just let me know

Quote Originally Posted by drewblood
    if you want to go hiking just let me know

So long as we can start after noon, the sun is not too warm, the terrain is not too tough on ankles, and we stop after about two miles, I'm in.

indeed.... and i'll bring the vodka tonics.

Quote Originally Posted by drewblood
    indeed.... and i'll bring the vodka tonics.

Unless that is some sort of hiker code for sparkling water . . .

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I can drink like a fish.

and as you know a fish only drinks water. so no, I can't hold my liquor.

Here's a true story about a friend of mine. He got really drunk and then decided that it was time to drive home, probably not a good idea. When he got there he couldn't find the key so he just layed down on the lawn to go to sleep. later on when he woke up he realized that the problem was that it wasn't his house.

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

when i was in Yipsi, i worried a few people at how much i got through without it getting me past merry.

but generally no, not as much as i used to. thats probably a good thing mind, it used to be excessive. (bottle was easy, on occasion 2 would be in the bin the next day)

bilbrown's Avatar Member
    If you don't know where babies come from...

I can't drink beer at all anymore.

Whiskey, only with cola.

I can still down some absinthe, but don't get that as regularly as I did when I lived in prague.

And yes, my recovery time is over the top, so I don't partake as often or really at all.

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Takes longer to recover. I can almost see why someone would become alcoholic as they hit 30 or whatever. Next day, you may as well just keep going. Then again, I do take 'scripts so .... it limits my drinking.

OEC

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

the last time I drank champagne , my friend and I went through 5 bottles, and I had a hangover the next day, but not the worst one ever. the last time I drank whiskey though, I didn't make it to work the next day..... pretty much only drink beers now. maybe a shot or two on occasion, which is a whole lot less than how i used to drink in L.A..

Tigerlily's Avatar Bang Bang Kiss Die

I can say from personal experience that my tolerance hasnt really gone down. I stopped drinking beer so much just because it makes me feel nasty, but I still prefer a hard drink. I used to drink pretty regularly to the point of me and my best friend finishing off 2 bottles and a 12 pack to ourselves. Back then recovery for me was worse than it is now...but I also dont slam them down like I used to either lol.

I can't drink for shit, probably because I never started proper. I've only drank enough to cross the border from being just tipsy to approximating 'drunk' twice in my life, and then only barely. That takes about a litre of really weak (7.5%)sparkling wine.

I dunno, alcohol's not my thing. I skipped that stage of partying by not being one of the cool kids up until age 17, at which point I got right into ecstasy and then other drugs - none of which I've found mix well with alcohol. Drinking any noteworthy amount of alchohol at any point during a weekend of partying seriously cuts my ability to stay fit and enjoy everything else.

Now if I want the 'drunk' experience, I go with GHB, which IMO is superior in all ways except the difficulty of proper administration.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I definietly can't drink like I used to. I used to drink like a fish at night, get up spry and ready to take on the world. Now if I drink too much at night, I wake up like fuckin' death on a cracker. I still drink, but not like I used to when I was young. The after effects just ain't worth the fun I had the night before.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I used to be able to drink a lot, easily, but now if I want to go on a bender I actually have to prepare myself beforehand or I just don't feel right the next morning...........and I've had to cut back on my intake by about 60 percent

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    the last time I drank champagne , my friend and I went through 5 bottles, and I had a hangover the next day, but not the worst one ever. the last time I drank whiskey though, I didn't make it to work the next day..... pretty much only drink beers now. maybe a shot or two on occasion, which is a whole lot less than how i used to drink in L.A..

What were those ass-kickers we drank called? Red headed sluts?

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    I can't drink for shit, probably because I never started proper. I've only drank enough to cross the border from being just tipsy to approximating 'drunk' twice in my life, and then only barely. That takes about a litre of really weak (7.5%)sparkling wine.

I dunno, alcohol's not my thing. I skipped that stage of partying by not being one of the cool kids up until age 17, at which point I got right into ecstasy and then other drugs - none of which I've found mix well with alcohol. Drinking any noteworthy amount of alchohol at any point during a weekend of partying seriously cuts my ability to stay fit and enjoy everything else.

Now if I want the 'drunk' experience, I go with GHB, which IMO is superior in all ways except the difficulty of proper administration.

They still have proper GHB in Holland?

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Back in the old days I could go throw a gallon of vodka and a few 40's and still be at work the next day. I was a very heavy drink for many a year till finally I had to slow down. I've had a few scary run ins such as a .62 or around there. Friend of mine was measured at .91 which is about 3 times the lethal limit. No way I could do that now. Now it's just beers and sake when the occasion happens. I don't think I will ever quit but I've had to slow down for various reasons (thankfully no infractions of the law). Though each person I think will reach a decision on their own of what to do and as long as they can live with, that's all anyone should care about.

rikosaka's Avatar ChorizoSmells

I was never a big drinker but I do notice now that I can't drink as much as I used to. What's worse is staying up all night then the next day I am useless. Kinda sucks getting older, but it's not so bad. I know some people who are bartenders and still in their late twenties, their doctor has told them if you don't stop drinking now you will die very, very soon, their livers are shot and they have quit drinking.

They were known for drinking a bottle of Tequila or Jack in one night plus all the other drinks they drank since the bar they work at is famous for everyone getting totally smashed. Even the staff were expected to drink a lot.

Sake, yeah, I only drink it hot, even in the summer, not much of a fan of it cold.

Nowadays my wife drinks more than I do, her and the girls get together and they put away several bottle of wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    They still have proper GHB in Holland?
    Well, if I've been having improper GHB all this time, I certainly can't wait to try the real thing.

Well, if I've been having improper GHB all this time, I certainly can't wait to try the real thing.

In the USA, when it was a legal supplement for working out, you could get stuff which did not taste like salted paint thinner or brutalize your kidneys and figuring out dosage was easy because it was uniformly manufactured. After the main company was put under, but before it was illegal, some more dodgy ones put out kinda icky product. Now I think there are just folks who make it in their kitchen sink or something and people seem to overdo it easily because dosage is much harder to figure.

Right, that was the 'difficulty of proper administration' I was talking about. Every time you get it from a new source you spent 2 hours taking mini-shots figuring out your ideal dose.

After doing that once it's just a matter of carrying a marked bottle, test tube or something like that and filling it up to the point you know is right for you, though. Either way is worth it, imo, but I'll concede that 'proper' GHB sounds very appealing now. =)

TheCosmicSheriff's Avatar If I could, would I?

... pretty much only drink beers now. maybe a shot or two on occasion.....
    I can still drink as much but cant afford too. Now mostly I drink on weekends only and stick to smoke during the week.

Haven't had GHB sense the 90's

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

I still can drink as I could say 5 years ago, but I am little smarter on what I drink. If it sweet let say rum runners I am done. That will hurt me more, during the aftermath. I can drink scotch all day or good Irish whiskey, I am good. No problems.

Paintball event the "allows" drinking off the field of play. Is about the only time I have to really cut lose and make total ass out of myself. 5 gals of hunch punch, scotch, and 7 coolers of beer for weekend event. Most of it get consumed on Friday night. Yes, as I get older I feel those effect more and more. Might be cause where I fall is where most of time I sleep. Im hungover at day break Im up, and I start eating the fruit out of the punch. You go back out to play for 12-14 hours, come back in do it all over again. That massive mixer of hell on ones body, but why not..That has only happen ones this years, I am trying to act better.

episode allah's Avatar iconoclast

After the main company was put under, but before it was illegal, some more dodgy ones put out kinda icky product. Now I think there are just folks who make it in their kitchen sink or something and people seem to overdo it easily because dosage is much harder to figure.
    that's why research chemicals became so popular...

Darla's Avatar I am Queen Carlotta!

I used to be the best drinker I knew; a bottle of Stoli every night, then up for work and fresh as a daisy every morning. After a few years of this kind of idiocy, I went through some huge changes in my life and pretty much lost the desire to get pickled every single night. Drinking any sizable amount of ethanol is a pretty rare thing for me, these days...and is always a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by episode allah
    that's why research chemicals became so popular...
    Is it? I was under the impression that you make it out of industrial strength pipe cleaner and paint dissolvent.

episode allah's Avatar iconoclast

Is it? I was under the impression that you make it out of industrial strength pipe cleaner and paint dissolvent.
    ah no. I meant the internet phenomenon a while back where it was possible to get hundreds of barely-legal 'research-drugs' like 5-MeO-DMT and 2C-E from online pharmacies. They were basically legal by technicality (since all drugs have subtle differences in molecular structure). They had everything from souped-up amphetamines to PCP equivalents. If only I'd known...

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

every time I use GHB, when I wake up the next day my asshole is really sore. is that a common side effect?

Vaughn's Avatar Walking Sucker Punch...
    Remember that hole you dug in the yard that time?

more actually...unfortunately I should say.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

What were those ass-kickers we drank called? Red headed sluts?
    yes ma'am, those were red headed sluts. jagger and I had to break up. if I drink shots these days it's jamesons rocks or royal flushes. vodka and I no longer get along either. I'm flat broke and don't have a job right now, so if I do drink it's been PBR lately. I'm starting to get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by episode allah
    ah no. I meant the internet phenomenon a while back where it was possible to get hundreds of barely-legal 'research-drugs' like 5-MeO-DMT and 2C-E from online pharmacies. They were basically legal by technicality (since all drugs have subtle differences in molecular structure). They had everything from souped-up amphetamines to PCP equivalents. If only I'd known...
    Me wants.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Yes I absolutely can drink as much as I used to! Practice makes perfect right? If you call the drunken stumbling mess I am at 4 am perfect. The trick to avoiding the dreaded hangover is drinking tons of water at the end of the night..morning..whenever.

TheCosmicSheriff's Avatar If I could, would I?

if I do drink it's been PBR lately. I'm starting to get used to it.
    Gots to bee ice cold!

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    Yes I absolutely can drink as much as I used to! Practice makes perfect right? If you call the drunken stumbling mess I am at 4 am perfect. The trick to avoiding the dreaded hangover is drinking tons of water at the end of the night..morning..whenever.

If I drink too much, my stomach usually hurts more than my head. I think this is because I always drink lots of water.

+ Reply to Thread