+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why do cops become cops?

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

Default Re: Why do cops become cops?

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem
    I know people go into police work with good intentions, not all of them, but I would say a larger number. And I know there are good cops out there or at least I try to believe that.

The problem is, I worked nights, lived 15 miles from work, and had no car. I got to meet a lot of cops on my 1am rides home. Now of course since I wasn't breaking the law and had just came from 8 or more hours on my feet with a 15 mile bikeride before and after, and I was always polite to the officers they usually treated me with the respect you would expect from a professional law enforcement officer, In other words, little to none at all. After the first few stops I had eliminated all of the reasons they said they stopped me, which lead to them making up reasons.

I hear a lot of police officers complain about how the public treats them, but i cannot help but believe that turning the other way when a cop acts like an asshat may be part of the cause. Sure a lot of cops may be good guys, or honest hard working joes, but it doesn't matter because for my own safety I have to assume they are all abusive, sleazy and maybe even criminals.

Cops are criminals too.. They break the laws too. Probably more than us regular folks to, because they can get away with them, probably. I'm not saying it's true but it just seems very likely. The cop that arrested me told me I wasn't "a bad guy" when he arrested me, just that I made a bad decision that night, in which I agree. ..I'm actually watching LOCK UP RAW right now and I can spot the cops I don't like (the bad cops) and the cops that seem to be cops for the right reason. You can tell by their attitudes, what they say, and their actions. (not many though..two in particular)
    Last edited by Thistle Harlequin; 09-15-2008 at 12:33 AM. Reason: forgot something

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

Quote Originally Posted by SyntheticShock
    I'd become a desk cop just so I could wear the uniform.
    Pleeease!!!
    I went out with a chik who was a cop for about a month or so about 5 years ago. I really don't think we liked each other particularly but we probably liked things about each other. I've truly no idea what she saw in me but as for me I couldn't believe my luck or pass up on on the uniform thing. That remains very very memorable.
    So yeah from my point of view a fine, noble and community service reason to become a cop is subsidised off-duty-but-on-the-job dress-ups.

TheCosmicSheriff's Avatar If I could, would I?

In my youth I intended to devote my life to law enforcement. Got a degree in Criminal Justice while working as a California Highway Patrol Cadet, Joined the Marine Corps, became a military police, then realized that the Idea of shooting someone did not fit my mentality. Looking back, man I wish I got to shoot someone. LOL JK

It was mentioned that cops are like robots in the way they deal with the public. This is true to a point due to the need to treat people fair. It also protects the officer because when he follows the same line of questioning he is keeping to protocol.

With my back ground in Criminal justice Iv been able to talk my way out of tickets and being arrested. "Yes sir! No sir" Thats the first rule of getting out of tickets.

As For DUI When A cop pulls you over and wants to give you a sobriety test you ask him " Respectfully officer am I under arrest, because if I'm not I Respectfully decline a sobriety test." He either needs to let you go at that time or arrest you and take you to the hospital to get tested. Either way your better off then just taking the test.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I don't know about where you live, but here in AZ if you refuse a breathlizer test at the scene, you automatically get your license suspended, even if you pass the field sobriety test or even the blood test later.

also they are certifying cops to be able to take your blood work at the scene too.

In California you have a choice of what tests you take. As for the automatic suspension I'm not up on my code, but the above advice was given to me by a criminal defense attorney.

Oh and I wouldn't let a cop take my blood no matter what certification he had.

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I don't know about where you live, but here in AZ if you refuse a breathlizer test at the scene, you automatically get your license suspended, even if you pass the field sobriety test or even the blood test later.

also they are certifying cops to be able to take your blood work at the scene too.

It's the same in CA, except they will take you to the hospital to get your blood drawn the cop wont do it himself. And same here, I wouldn't want a cop to take my blood, never ever! The whole cop that a cop stabbed me just doesn't sit right in my head, and I'm not a violent person I can only imagine other people's mentality. Scary to think about...

The reason I want to become an officers is to help people. After sitting and ticking off jobs where I can help people and be physically active (fireman, police officers, emt etc) Police just seemed like the best fit.

Helping and protecting people is a noble occupation and I look forward to getting into that world.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet-Tongue
    The reason I want to become an officers is to help people. After sitting and ticking off jobs where I can help people and be physically active (fireman, police officers, emt etc) Police just seemed like the best fit.

Helping and protecting people is a noble occupation and I look forward to getting into that world.
    Honestly, if you can keep that attitude on the job and still treat people like people, then I want you to be a cop too.

Trotter's Avatar Senior Member

I'm a cop. I like my job. I'm not a dick.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Quote Originally Posted by Trotter
    I'm a cop. I like my job. I'm not a dick.
    There's a statie from VA who dislikes me because I don't call him sir. On a weight training site. Sorry, when you're off the job, you don't get your ass kissed for what you do in your job.

FWIW sucks to have to deal with venom thrown yr way.

Generally, either because they want to make a difference, because they suffer from an authority complex, or because their dads were cops.

It all comes down to the same shit in the end though. Even if they never exceeded their functions, they'd be the bad guys for all the ill-conceived laws they enforce.

Bacchus88's Avatar Senior Member

Just like in any job, there are ass everywhere. I would think that, on the more local levels, fact about getting the force would be easier. those who are not there for right reason. At least in my town, the city cops are like that, power trip. Now the County holds a higher standard, they are there to do the job. State troopers are high caliber officers. From my run ins with them, Ga Sc, Al, Tn, Nc, and Va State troopers are find show the most professionalism. Local cops, I wondering what barrel they had to scrap to this one!

Feds are who another issue....

Trotter's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    There's a statie from VA who dislikes me because I don't call him sir. On a weight training site. Sorry, when you're off the job, you don't get your ass kissed for what you do in your job.

FWIW sucks to have to deal with venom thrown yr way.

Rock in the stream my friend. water flows around. It's all good.

What gets me, is cops taking steroids to IMPROVE their JOB performance!!!!!

That freaks me out! Especially the cops who do have a 'vulgar display of power' complex.

I tip my proverbial hat to every single cop who's out there trying to protect and serve.
    There are many cops.... that DO enter that line of work to stick it to all those available.
    I think the LAW makes more criminals than anything else....

Take drugs for example... acquiring them thru shady methods causes someone to deal with unsavory characters. Causing them to do things and brake rules that would have never been an issue otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Trotter
    Rock in the stream my friend. water flows around. It's all good.
    Grampy bone say relax, and smell the brahmin.

HeadlessBill's Avatar Innocent Bystander

Just because I was editing this image today and it reminded me of this thread.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by HeadlessBill
    Just because I was editing this image today and it reminded me of this thread.

Ha! "Return of The Living Dead"!

Fuck, I want that top.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I could go either way.

DAMN HB she's gorgeous! Her make-up's flawless!!!

I love that technique with her eyes

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

Fuuuck, mang...

I want a girl like dat...

+ Reply to Thread