+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whats the longest road trip you have taken in the shortest amount of time?

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Default Whats the longest road trip you have taken in the shortest amount of time?

Thursday night my friend and I hopped on our motorcycles and took off for Kantuckie (ok Kentucky) via Carbondale Pennsylvania.... the basics of it are:

1658 miles (600 of it in blinding rain)

a total of 24 hours and 38 minutes in the saddle

total sleep from Thursday night to Sunday night at 8pm was 12 hours +/- an hour

from Baltimore MD to Carbondale PA to Fort Knox KY back to Baltimore....

and on top of all of that my friend rode a new Harley Nightster with 14 inch ape hangers and no windscreen... had to stop every 90 miles for gas... i was a little more comfortable on my modded road king police model...

** I also once drove from Los Angeles to Frederick, MD in 2 and a half days... alone... that sucked...

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

Default Re: Whats the longest road trip you have taken in the shortest amount of time?

I just drove from Atlanta to Seattle and back. Did the trip from Atlanta to Seattle on a motorcycle via Dayton. 3300 miles. Four days, 18 hour days, stopped only when the sun went down so as not to hit deer.

I was on an 82 FXR with apes and forward controls, no windshield.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Default Re: Whats the longest road trip you have taken in the shortest amount of time?

I've done sevearl cross country trips, but not fast..... i guess the fastest would be oakland to atlanta via chicago on greyhound. that took three days and two nights

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    I just drove from Atlanta to Seattle and back. Did the trip from Atlanta to Seattle on a motorcycle via Dayton. 3300 miles.

I was on an 82 FXR with apes and forward controls, no windshield.
    nice! how often do you have to stop for fuel? I hope you took your time and enjoyed the trip...

the worst part of it was we had to bar tend for our clubs national meeting all weekend... rolled in wet Friday night at 9pm and went straight to work... got 45 minutes of sleep at 4am Sat morning then another 45 around 8am... then finally went to bed at midnight Sat night... rode home the short way sunday... the life of a prospect...

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I've done sevearl cross country trips, but not fast..... i guess the fastest would be oakland to atlanta via chicago on greyhound. that took three days and two nights
    no more greyhounds for me! or trains for that matter... nothings safe anymore

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

greyhound doesn't scare me. the train is too expensive; i could fly for less than the train.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

we weren't in a race against time but went from toronto to arizona in 3 or 4 days. took the same amount of time to get from here to vancouver via I 90 in the u.s. only one driver though. i love road trips, i love the adventure and seeing things i don't normally get to see..like chicago heights! yikes!

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

Orlando to Los Angeles is 39 hours. it sucked BALLS! I HATE I-10 through texas. in a 2003 toyota corolla and we only stopped for gas like 5 times. less $250 in fuel then too. those were the days. can't road trip any more. can't afford the fuel.

~K

Keiko, you sound like you made really good time.

With two kids, we made it from Kentucky to Fort Myers Florida straight thru in 26 hours. MANY MANY breaks.... but damn, that's a hell of a drive.

Florida to Tennessee in 13 hours, only stopping for gas and pee breaks.

I love Florida and Tennessee. I absolutely LOVE the drive... no matter how exhaustingly LONG it may be.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

I used to take them all the time. Up and down the East Coast, from Atlanta up to Chicago, New Orleans to New York, occasionally down to Florida, etc. Now that I'm out west, it's not as much fun. It's Vegas or SF for the most part. I did drive up the Seattle once and that was fun. I took a Greyhound from SF to New York when I was eleven. That was interesting. Got to see a lot of America on that one, albeit kind of a creepy dumpy side of America, but it was a learning experience none the less. It sure sucks that gas is as expensive as it is these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack
    It sure sucks that gas is as expensive as it is these days.
    one of the many reasons I like 2 wheels and not a cage! great mileage, even riding a stroked motor...

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

does hitchhiking count?

DC to San Antonio in 2.5 days. NOT fun.

drove from London, through france to belgium, then through holland to amsterdam, back to belgium, through france and back to london in a weekend.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

I just got back today. I went from Philly to Harrisburg, to College Park MD, across 66 to the Skyline Drive, down the Skyline to Massanutten VA, back to the skyline and down the Blue Ridge to Rocky Knob, back to Massanutten, out to Fredricksburg MD, over to Annapolis MD and finally back to Philly. All on my bike and on my own.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

evry year my family goes to my grandmas house in mexico when we were in CA the trip took thirty somethin hours but now in texas it only takes about 24. i dont know exactly how many miles it is tho

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    I just got back today. I went from Philly to Harrisburg, to College Park MD, across 66 to the Skyline Drive, down the Skyline to Massanutten VA, back to the skyline and down the Blue Ridge to Rocky Knob, back to Massanutten, out to Fredricksburg MD, over to Annapolis MD and finally back to Philly. All on my bike and on my own.
    Fredericksburg or Frederick MD? if it was Frederick yu should have stopped by for a beer... as long as you're not a serial killer or something like that...

Fredericksburg. I had lunch at a joint called Wings on the Water. Good seafood platter.

Had I known you were that close I might have stopped in. The jury's still out on whether I'm a serial killer (here's hopin'!) But I'm fairly sure you could hand me my ass so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Oh yeah, and I did the whole damn thing without a functional front brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    cool! you need to add frederick to the next trip so we can drink some brewdogs... i mean get a drink

Couldn't tell ya when the next time I'm gonna do something like this is. But I'll definitely keep ya in mind.

is that an old maxim?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl
    is that an old maxim?
    You got it. Just shaved the tank and repainted it along with the side panels.

yeah, I loved my old 400................even when the front brake wasn't working

Mine's a 650. A 400 wouldn't even get my fat ass moving.

+ Reply to Thread