+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Class Frustration

Default Class Frustration

So's, I'm taking Biomedical Ethics. First exam session, just studying theories. Okay, that's straightforward, whatever. Second exam session, we start talking about abortion. Okay. Makes sense. Wait, what's that? The teacher is blatantly pro-life? (e.g. Purposefully misrepresenting pro-choice arguments to make them sound stupid, stroking pro-life arguments longer then necessary.) As are all the students, so there is zero dissent. Okay. That's fine, I don't mind being open. I'll listen for a bit. Wait - what was that you said? Oh, the entire exam is on abortion? We're going to ignore all the other biomedical issues and cram them into the last exam? So I have to put up this biased crap for another month or two? Oh. Well, damn. Excuse me while I go bash my head into a fucking wall.

BGartin's Avatar The Irish Hammer

Default Re: Class Frustration

Just write about your own personal "experiences" with some false tale about your own abortion.

uh... that's got to be some kind of abuse of academic standards, or some such.

I know that right wing students, and groups have been targeting professors they see as promoting leftist ideologies on campuses, why wouldn't it apply to this professor?

Do you attend Oral(Anal) Robert's University? If not I see no reason for you to put up with this horsefuckery.

There are a number of things you can do.

Depending on the policies of your university your professor might be perfectly with in their rights to advance their own opinion under academic freedom, and freedom of speech grounds. I certainly wouldn't want this person to be told to shut the fuck up or lose your job, but forcing you to agree, at least in class, and on a test with their views isn't right either, and you deffinitly shouldn't have to do that.

I'm not sure how much you want to challenge this professor, but every time they bring up something you find blatantly biased, and plain wrong, why not just say so?

If they give you crap for take it up with their department chair, or go over their head too.

You're there for an education, not to be brainwashed. Don't put up with that shit.

OR, and espcially if you don't feel much like being openly confrontational, why not start a vicious campaign of savage mockery? Print up leaflets, describing how this professor has finally, and fully convinced you that having abortions is not only fun, and a great patriotic thing to do, the duty of all americans possessing wombs, but indeed, one of life's greatest pleasures, and a religious experience, without which a woman is doomed to eternal hellfire. Be really graphic in your descriptions of the fetus being torn limb from limb, and sucked out of your womb. Get creative, photoshop this professor's face onto an abortions body and wear it as a t-shirt.... Multiple disturbing fliers, vaguely masonic in tone subtly directed at the professor... these are the kinds of tactics we used to use back in college.

Is this course a requirement for your graduation?

If not, why not drop it, and cite the attempted brainwashing.

Just some thoughts.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I took a class once called "Sociology of Youth." in college. My professor was black and told the students that he had gotten complaints before that he mostly stressed the class as "Sociology of black youths" because truthfully he was black and that's what he grew up in...He then told us if we had a problem with this, we should drop the class and move on...

Truthfully, I didn't give a shit either way so I stayed and yup...He always talked about the Sociology of black youth...He didn't tell no lies....

I didn't mind, but now that I'm older and really find offense with the class because a professor should not teach a whole class of what he, himself, has lived or based on his own beliefs (which he had alot of them)...

It should have been taught non-bias....

There's a book that he was supposed to teach us from and THAT is what he should have taught..."The Sociology of Youth"...All youth..Not one branch of it....

Professor's really need to stop being so....."And this is how I live or what I believe"....Leave that up to the professor having a debate with other professors..Not during classtime.....

I had this teacher in sixth grade...He was VERY opinionated(?) and alot of what he taught us was not true....JUST his beliefs...Being a good student I believed in all of them and it took me YEARS, to figure out how much of it was bullshit. From then on I understood that to pass tests I needed to understand the teacher's bullshit reasoning and thoughts, but that was just to get a good grade...After that....I didn't believe most of it and sought the truth through understanding of the entire subject...Not just one person's belief...

Drop the class or don't, but if you stay, you'd better start acting like you believe in the professor's thoughts...Cause if you don't and express your own true feelings...You're doomed.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Sounds annoying. Don't write something you don't believe. The internal stress is not worth it and writing something you do not think in a paper for an ethics class is just too ironic. You'll have to write better and do better research than anyone else in your class to get a B+ if the teacher feels that strongly, but so it goes. What part of the universe are you going to school in? Is your school/state super anti-abortion or just this one prof?

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Don't write something you don't believe

i agree.^

express your own true feelings...You're doomed.

that's bullshit! ^

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

i couldnt do it...seriously i'd totally run my mouth and get beat up

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

you have two choices. you can either drop the class or learn to bullshit really fast. I can tell you from personal experience that fighting for a decent grade is a headache you do not want.

but why compromise your beliefs for something so trivial?
    school? come on, there are way more important things in life to worry about
    this is just my opinion, of course

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    Don't write something you don't believe

i agree.^

express your own true feelings...You're doomed.

that's bullshit! ^

***express your own true feelings...You're doomed.

that's bullshit! ^***

It maybe bullshit, but in her case, if she stays, she will be doomed if she fully opposes what the professor believes in. True.

but why compromise your beliefs for something so trivial?
    school? come on, there are way more important things in life to worry about
    this is just my opinion, of course
    well when you are $30,000 into school, it'll seem a lot less trivial...one class can mean a lot when your degree and up to 8 years of work depend on it.

right so, if you're gonna pay $30 000 to go to school wouldn't you be just a tad pissed off in this situation? feeling like you have to bend to just get a decent grade?

right so, if you're gonna pay $30 000 to go to school wouldn't you be just a tad pissed off in this situation? feeling like you have to bend to just get a decent grade?
    of course, but I get pissed about stupid shit daily, I still have to put up with it to be a functional member of society. I've had to smile at cops and pretend to be civil even though I know they pulled me over for absolutely no reason other than boredom...I don't agree with the whole thing of course, but sometimes, you have to pretend to get by.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Pull~My~Hair
    sometimes, you have to pretend to get by.
    yep. its all about choosing your battles.

***sometimes, you have to pretend to get by.***

I do it all the time in my job. If I told the customers what I really thought about certain things they say to me, like religious and political thoughts, I wouldn't last a week in my job. Most of the time when they say these things, I might let out a fake little laugh or I might give a nod. It's not that I lie and say, Wow! You are so right." I just don't sit there and debate with them.

As long as I know, at the end of the day, what I really feel....I'm fine with it.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

oh, you mean't an instructional learning presentation.

I thought you meant like the Plight of the Proletariat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    ***sometimes, you have to pretend to get by.***

I do it all the time in my job. If I told the customers what I really thought about certain things they say to me, like religious and political thoughts, I wouldn't last a week in my job. Most of the time when they say these things, I might let out a fake little laugh or I might give a nod. It's not that I lie and say, Wow! You are so right." I just don't sit there and debate with them.

As long as I know, at the end of the day, what I really feel....I'm fine with it.
    yeah I know I have to deal with old men coming in and talking politics and you know they cant let it go into they get my "opinion" on it...or asking "right?" ..and maybe it's selling out, but not only do I like tips but I like not being fired too lol

But yeah I definitely dont go way into it..avoid it and look as busy as possible lol

+ Reply to Thread