+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quoates/lines..fill my mind

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Default Quoates/lines..fill my mind

Give me some of your favorite quotes or lines/lyrics from songs..everyone has some favorites.

The poet is a liar who always speaks the truth.
    ~Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what
    is excellent in others belong to us as well
    ~Voltaire 1964-1778

Art is anything you can get away with
    ~Andy Warhol 1928-1987

Say somethings wrong with anyone who's not like me, with you the violence just comes so easily. Just watch I'll put you across my fucking knee...
    ~Song, Dannyboy by Floater

She put on a white dress she didn't know it was a funeral.
    ~Song, White Dress by Floater

Hope nothing changes when I walk in the room, hope no one sees the lonlieness on my face. How an there be so much solitude..in such a crowded place.
    ~Song, a Hard parting by Floater

I have a floater theme going today...
    I want everything you got people

Default Re: Quoates/lines..fill my mind

haha it says quoates...i suck

I like the Voltaire and Andy Warhol ones. No quote thread is even halfway along without some Oscar Wilde though. Some personal favorites (from memory, so please forgive any minor errors)

"Nothing makes one so vain as being told one is a sinner."
    I think accusations of immorality were the first thing I ever got picked out in a crowd for. Today my vanity is sourced by a fair variety of failings, but it remains a personal favorite.

"I can sympathise with everything, except for suffering."
    Another one that applies very neatly to me personally. Suffering is such a dreary reason for avoiding anything... very nice way of saying you're a callous bastard.

"The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about."

"It is absurd to divide people into good and bad. People are either charming or tedious.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."

"The supreme object of life is to live. Few people live. It is true life only to realize one's own perfection, to make one's every dream a reality.”

All Oscar Wilde. I'll quit now before I'm tempted to pick up a book and find out what I missed; I've other things to do today than giggle.

"Nostalgia is just the past without the pain" --Oscar Wilde

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius,
    power and magic in it." --Goethe

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Philip K. Dick

"The truths of religion are never so well understood as by those who have lost the power of reasoning." --Voltaire

"If all of your peers understand what you've done, you haven't been creative." --Dr. Henry Heimlich

"Remember what the fella said: In Italy, for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, They had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy & peace and what did that produce? The Cuckoo Clock." --"The Third Man"

"I didn't want to write for pay. I wanted to be paid for what I write." --Leonard Cohen

"We had fun at the expense of others because we had nothing of our own to spend." --Amelia G., on 1989-1991 freakdom

"I've learned over the years that everything is more or less the same amount of work, so you may as well set your sights high and try and do something really cool. There are other people around who can do the mediocre, meat-and-potatoes work that anybody can do. So let them do that. You make the art that only you can make. You tell the stories only you can tell." --Neil Gaiman

"It is better to be drunk with loss and to beat the ground, than to let the deeper things gradually escape." --Ivy Compton-Burnett

“Regret is the gauge by which the elderly measure their youth.” --Brad Barkett

"Then I rose up again with a full heart and buried him in his own blood." --Bill the Butcher, "Gangs of New York"

"Since I’m considered an artist, then I can only say that one of arts roles is to inspire a sense of transcendence, and means by which we can develop the imagination to reach experiences sometimes subtler than our every day practical lives distract us from." --Peter Murphy

"What I'll say about the creative process is that, when it works, it allows us to transpose our mundane personal experiences into more universal metaphors that resonate with other people" --Tim Kreider

"See I don't worry about the little things: bees, trees, whales, snails. I think we're part of a greater wisdom than we will ever understand. A higher order. Call it what you want. Know what I call it? The Big Electron. The Big Electron...whoooa. Whoooa. Whoooa. It doesn't punish, it doesn't reward, it doesn't judge at all. It just is. And so are we. For a little while." --George Carlin

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum; qui uictoriam cupit, milites inbuat diligenter; qui secundos optat euentus, dimicet arte, non casu.

translated:

"Therefore, he who wishes peace, should prepare war; he who desires victory, should carefully train his soldiers; he who wants favorable results, should fight relying on skill, not on chance.

Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by inox
    "Nostalgia is just the past without the pain" --Oscar Wilde

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius,
    power and magic in it." --Goethe

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Philip K. Dick

"The truths of religion are never so well understood as by those who have lost the power of reasoning." --Voltaire

"If all of your peers understand what you've done, you haven't been creative." --Dr. Henry Heimlich

"Remember what the fella said: In Italy, for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, They had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy & peace and what did that produce? The Cuckoo Clock." --"The Third Man"

"I didn't want to write for pay. I wanted to be paid for what I write." --Leonard Cohen

"We had fun at the expense of others because we had nothing of our own to spend." --Amelia G., on 1989-1991 freakdom

"I've learned over the years that everything is more or less the same amount of work, so you may as well set your sights high and try and do something really cool. There are other people around who can do the mediocre, meat-and-potatoes work that anybody can do. So let them do that. You make the art that only you can make. You tell the stories only you can tell." --Neil Gaiman

"It is better to be drunk with loss and to beat the ground, than to let the deeper things gradually escape." --Ivy Compton-Burnett

“Regret is the gauge by which the elderly measure their youth.” --Brad Barkett

"Then I rose up again with a full heart and buried him in his own blood." --Bill the Butcher, "Gangs of New York"

"Since I’m considered an artist, then I can only say that one of arts roles is to inspire a sense of transcendence, and means by which we can develop the imagination to reach experiences sometimes subtler than our every day practical lives distract us from." --Peter Murphy

"What I'll say about the creative process is that, when it works, it allows us to transpose our mundane personal experiences into more universal metaphors that resonate with other people" --Tim Kreider

"See I don't worry about the little things: bees, trees, whales, snails. I think we're part of a greater wisdom than we will ever understand. A higher order. Call it what you want. Know what I call it? The Big Electron. The Big Electron...whoooa. Whoooa. Whoooa. It doesn't punish, it doesn't reward, it doesn't judge at all. It just is. And so are we. For a little while." --George Carlin
    "Nostalgia is just the past without the pain"...If that ain't the fuckin' truth.....

"I don't care what is written about me so long as it isn't true. " - Dorothy Parker (always one of my favorites).

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair. " Ms Parker again.

And one more Parker quote because it is appropriate for the current times, "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to."

Life's a game where they're bound to beat you
    And time's a trick it can turn to cheat you
    And we only waste it anyway,
    And that's the hell of it.
    Paul Williams, The Hell of it

Laura Dannon: Do you trust me now?
    Brendan Frye: Less than when I didn't trust you before.
    Brick

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

"All I ask is for the chance to prove that money cannot make me happy" - Spike Milligan

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

"One cannot weep for the whole world. It is beyond human strength. One must choose." - Jean Anouilh

"From her is the race of women and female kind:
    of her is the deadly race and tribe of women who
    live amongst mortal men to their great trouble,
    no helpmeets in hateful poverty, but only in wealth.

He reaches deadly old age without anyone to tend his years,
    and though he at least has no lack of livelihood while he lives,
    yet, when he is dead, his kinsfolk divide his possessions amongst them." --- Hesiod

Men and women would be even more unhappy if they
    really understood one another. -- Mason Cooley

Quote Originally Posted by Cafe_Post_Mortem

And one more Parker quote because it is appropriate for the current times, "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to."
    heheheh I like that

+ Reply to Thread