+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Found Money Law?

Default Found Money Law?

It's been a horrible no good very bad day.

I had a white envelope with $500 cash in it for my part of rent and was on my way to see the landlord, had it in my pocket and I went to the gas station. A little bit later I realized that the envelope was missing and the only place it could be was at the gas station since my wallet and envelope was in the same pocket. There was a line behind me so I know somebody would have had to see it fall.

It's a very dumb thing on my part I admit, I should have wrote a check but I've never had problems in years, so I figured I wouldn't today.

So my question is, is there a law that if somebody see's you drop money and picks it up (on camera, else they could say it they found it in the street), and doesn't give it back or alert you that you dropped it, is it stealing? Or is it now their property?

I've got to wait until 9 to call lost and found, then head over to talk to the manager to see if they can show me the tape if I really did drop it there (but there is no other place it could be since I only went there)

*sigh*

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Default Re: Found Money Law?

oh man that sucks ass! but, i think it's a matter of 'finders keepers, losers weepers'
    even if you saw the tape though and saw someone behind you pick it up how would you be able to get it back?
    i really feel for you though, that's alot of money and paying rent is kind of important...shit

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

I should know the answer to this from 1st year property law. I don't. I think the process is generally that they are supposed to give it to the police, a period of time elapses, then they get to keep it. I don't know how you'd prove it was yours though either. I also find it dubious that they'd have much liability there.

OEC

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

*throws chalk at OEC for not staying awake in class*

It's theft (but not robbery) under the definition of "depriving the person of property with intent", as dropping something accidentally is not legal abandonment. The whole "finders keepers" and "9/10ths" stuff is just common parlance, with no basis in law.

If you threw the envelope into the trash intentionally, then someone can legally take it out and keep it, but the mere fact the property is on view to pick up doesn't mean you've voluntarily relinquished your ownership. If that were true, every lawn ornament, park bench and small dog in the country would be on eBay.

Of course the chances of getting it back are next to zero, as even with video of someone picking the envelope up, it'll be impossible to prove what was in it. If you manage to track them down, they'll just claim it was empty.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

unless you have all of the serial numbers on the bills or photocopies of the bills in question front and back you really have no way of proving or recovering the money. Even if it is on videotape...

that sucks!

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

sucks man, we've all been there. Next time fuck the rent, go to vegas, and you'll still lose all your money, but you'll feel better about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    *throws chalk at OEC for not staying awake in class*

It's theft (but not robbery) under the definition of "depriving the person of property with intent", as dropping something accidentally is not legal abandonment. The whole "finders keepers" and "9/10ths" stuff is just common parlance, with no basis in law.

If you threw the envelope into the trash intentionally, then someone can legally take it out and keep it, but the mere fact the property is on view to pick up doesn't mean you've voluntarily relinquished your ownership. If that were true, every lawn ornament, park bench and small dog in the country would be on eBay.

Of course the chances of getting it back are next to zero, as even with video of someone picking the envelope up, it'll be impossible to prove what was in it. If you manage to track them down, they'll just claim it was empty.
    More specifically, it's larceny: "The unauthorized taking and removal of the personal property of another by an individual who intends to permanently deprive the owner of it."

It's not necessarily larceny when he/she picks the envelope up, but it pretty much definitely is when they leave the station with it.

...but yeah, I agree with this assessment overall.

At least look on the bright side, you made somebody very happy today.

Just hope it's not some crackhead that will O.D. with your money.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    At least look on the bright side, you made somebody very happy today.

Just hope it's not some crackhead that will O.D. with your money.
    heck... if it is some crackhead that ODs you just did society a favor...

but i feel your pain... lost a couple hundred a while back myself

+ Reply to Thread