+ Reply to Thread

Thread: *squeeeee*

Default *squeeeee*

I just found my order of metal studs and screw-on spikes in the mail. I indulged myself this time around and ordered some exotics that I didn't strictly have plans for just to get a proper idea of what they looked like IRL, so that I will learn to see opportunities to use them where they wouldn't previously have sprung to mind.

And this stuff is awesome. I've got a whole bunch of curved, claw-like spikes of various kinds; the edged, square based variety looks especially sharp and sleek. It almost feels like cheating to make something with them, because they're so cool to start out with.

Also, I think that now I'm holding it, I recognise the 'giant tree spike' from some of Perish's creations. That's a somewhat bittersweet realisations, since he's the one model/designer that I'm aware of to realise a lot of the ideals I aspire to by undeniable margins better than me. For now, leastwise . (Humility has never been my strong suit...)

Anyway, ideas are popping up in my head left and right now, some fitting in very neatly with previously more abstract concepts from the past. I'll have a lot of fun using these. I also know there's other people here that create clothing and accessories, or hairstyles, make up, general artists of the human image. Any insights to share, any recent projects to boast about?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: *squeeeee*

honestly, I didn't understand about half of that.

but I did know a homeless guy that covered his body with metal and spikes so no body could punch him or else they would get annihilated. He was a pretty cool guy, he crashed his bicycle into someone's car, then pissed on it, then layed down and went to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    He was a pretty cool guy, he crashed his bicycle into someone's car, then pissed on it, then layed down and went to sleep.
    And doesn't afraid of anything, amirite?

Sounds very ~1990 .jp cyberpunk. Which is awesome.

Anyway, I'm talking about metal spikes that you can screw onto, for example, leather jackets like punks and bikers wear.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Where did you order them, if you don't mind my asking?

studsandspikes.com, which you're probably aware of considering its the first google result for almost every search term vaguely related to the subject.

I think I've had my hands on every interesting looking item they offer now though. If you've got any other places to look I'd be thrilled to hear of them.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

aw, that site brings back memories. we used to just steal those studded belts from hot topic and other stores at the mall and then pry em off with a screwdriver. to be 16 again...

I can't imagine why I ever thought that looking like a rhinestone cowboy was punk rock. when we talked about 1977, we didn't mean disco!

Vexbeast's Avatar Eat me, I'm nutritious.

Sure, I'll boast...

Bright colours <3
    The thread is expensive, but I love these things, so I waste money. <.<

This is what I'm working on now. The mesh is army-surplus stuff so it's -really- strong, and absolutely refuses to rip. (I tested it first, held out against the large majority of my strength. Good stuff.)

<.<

I had more pictures to show, but my post somehow disappeared from the textbox and I can't be bothered re-uploading them...

Ubiquitress's Avatar Senior Member

neato

Braids are cool. What thread do you make them out of, and what's the advantage of it? Around here we've got both cyber clubkids making them out of cheap synthetic hair or those neon-colored thin plastic cords that used to be hip for little girls to braid and weave things out of, and hippies doing it with brightly colored (also cheap) yarn. I think the fake hair tends to leave the braids over time, but the other two work fine.

I dunno why you'd want mesh that doesn't rip though. Isn't that half the point of it? Although It's got a very nice pattern, the somewhat more solid beahive sort of structure. I've got one shirt like that, out of the mesh stuff it's my favorite.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

I've been messing around with my sewing machine lately. I just redesigned a shirt I hated, and I'm workinh on a pattern for a dress right now.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

i have a bunch of too-large t-shirts i need to modify...
    and a second-hand learther jacket that definitely needs sprucing up.
    (besides the obvious re-attaching of the lining, or a new lining altogether.)
    i'd like some buckles and zippers to go onto it, but i have no idea where or how to purchase such things, not to mention not having the money to do so.
    at the moment, it has safety pins in place of buttons (yeah it had buttons - lame.) i kinda like the safety pins... and i can't decide if i'd do better with that or a zipper. certainly the safety pins are more unique.
    i also want to get some furry stuff to make awesome legwarmers out of.
    i inherited my grandma's-then-mom's sewing machine, so i'm kind of itching to mend and mod my clothes.
    but, again, the money issue. -_-
    at least i can do the mending in the meantime!
    i also have a patch from lokisadotcom that i need to find a place for... every time i got to anime conventions, i spend like an hour at their booth looking at the over-priced stuff i can't have. last time i actually got to purchase something! the patch and my new favorite hat...
    oh and i have a bra i want to paint latex over... not sure if it'll work or not. *crosses fingers* i think it should... the directions say i can do that but i always manage to screw these things up.

~soma~

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

that mesh is an Absolute SOB to sew

episode allah's Avatar iconoclast

simple pleasures...

Vexbeast's Avatar Eat me, I'm nutritious.

For simple implications?

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

Just let me say that this thread has the best name EVER!

Fleisch's Avatar Exiled

I made a sticker of one of my favourite bands, i used:
    -glue
    -glitter
    -scissors
    -color crayons (orange)
    -color ink pen (blue)
    -sticky plastic sheet
    -compass

I draw a medium sized circle with a compass in a clean white sheet of paper, with the blue ink pen i wrote Soylent Grün , then carelessly colored the rest of the circle with the orange crayon pencil. (you dont need to worry to stay inside the circle because we are going to cut it away later)
    With the scissors i cut away the circle.
    I glue surface of the circle, i drop the glitter uniformly.
    I cut a medium sized square of sticky plastic sheet. I place my colored circle in the middle. The sticker is ready!

Bumping ancient thread. New posts start here.

Modified a pair of Izta's new shoes, using some of the spikes I bought all this time ago.

ForrestBlack's Avatar Administrator

Those look very nice. The details you added are great.

19. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to ForrestBlack For This Useful Post:

Raza (10-06-2010)
    TheDeathKnight's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForrestBlack View Post
    Those look very nice. The details you added are great.
    Ditto!

21. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to TheDeathKnight For This Useful Post:

Raza (10-06-2010)
    Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

very interesting.......I've been looking for simple little things to make in my machine shop that also serve a purpose.......making studs never occured to me. I must be getting old

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Karl View Post
    very interesting.......I've been looking for simple little things to make in my machine shop that also serve a purpose.......making studs never occured to me. I must be getting old
    This 'machine shop' thing sounds relevant to my interests.

You should make studs the shape of screw heads. I can never find those...

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Dude, those are badass! Good Job

25. The following people thank you for your post:

The Following User Says Thank You to mystoo For This Useful Post:

Raza (10-06-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    This 'machine shop' thing sounds relevant to my interests.

You should make studs the shape of screw heads. I can never find those...
    you mean like a stud with a slot or a star in them?....or like a bolt head?

Something like that would be sweet, but really any kind of machinery/construction themed stud would be awesome.

no problem.....I'd probably end up just making a jig(guide) and cut the slot with a hacksaw.....are these things held on with screw and washer in the back?

Studs are typically hollow, with two pointy bits that fold inward after piercing the fabric you put them on.

Spikes are the ones that get attached with a screw in the back. Not that something needs to be a spike to be attached that way, of course, but it works out shape- and weight-wise.

those hollow ones would be difficult to make.....unless you had a punch press, and then you could pound out thousands..........hmmmmm theres got to be an easy way to fasten those smaller studs without a big mechanical process

ha Raza u would have fun over here in America we have Hot Topic and spencers gift and at the moment HT is sellin this Wristband thats called Bolts and nuts and its somethin ur talking about at the moment, I brought it and give it as a gift to my gothic friend over there in germany ^^
    Image: ^_^

Those are very nice studs. Rivet attachment system, I see. (There's another option)

'Not a fan of Hot Topic and our local equivalent stores, though. These studs are nice, but their placement is incredibly uninspired, and the whole thing bound to be vastly overpriced (Not that it isn't a nice bracelet, as commercial goth gear goes). And since they're riveted you won't be taking them off and reusing them either, so its use to me would be limited.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

the only real part of the hot topic stores are their accessories, imo. ive bought way too many gloves, armwarmers, and other randm stuff from them over the years. in fact i recently picked up a leather wristband from them and i absolutely adore it. i only picked up one so i now have to go buy another if i want a matching pair. its pretty supple already and am trying to wear it often enogh to break it in further. i was so happy to finally come across a leather wristband that both fit well and used buckles rather than snaps.

Quote Originally Posted by aXa View Post
    the only real part of the hot topic stores are their accessories, imo. ive bought way too many gloves, armwarmers, and other randm stuff from them over the years. in fact i recently picked up a leather wristband from them and i absolutely adore it. i only picked up one so i now have to go buy another if i want a matching pair. its pretty supple already and am trying to wear it often enogh to break it in further. i was so happy to finally come across a leather wristband that both fit well and used buckles rather than snaps.
    i only once and while get clothes from there but mostly there accessories more then anything from them. I love there accessories the most anyways. ^^

+ Reply to Thread