+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shave the whales

Bondage Clown's Avatar Butter up da Goat

Default Shave the whales

So I was watching TV and I thought about something i saw..

It was a documentary or something like that about different species of animals.. and I was wondering.. what makes a particular animal so special that we have to out of our way to save them. When we are killing many more species that might be just as important as the others.

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

Default Re: Shave the whales

well its not that they are special, but it would suck for kids to grow up in a world where tigers , and panda bears dont exist. now mosquitos on the other hand they need to be whiped out. and a huge percentage of endangered species are being whiped out by peoples actions not nature so it kinda has to be stoped even if we have to change our ways i think

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

sometimes I wonder how many species have been made extinct over the last few million years by things such as whales, or pandas............or mosquitos

I can not disagree with either of you. however, it does concern me that we think that we (as the human race) have to control everything. Then get pissed off when say something like a bear invades SUBurbia.

know what i mean

yeah, I know what you mean........

I just realized your thread title is shave the whales, not save the whales..............sounds like a lot of work............

KilLAtomiK's Avatar Ceci n'est pas une pirate

the way i see it theres no need to get butthurt since we moved into the bears place in the first place. a few months ago a coyote killed my cat but oh well thats life i guss. the coyote was only doin what came natural so i got nothin to complain about lol

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

people like big things that don't want to kill us. it's why no one gives a shit about sharks or snails.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Most of the icon "save the XXX" species have faces. People like things with faces.

If snails had eyelashes, we'd be saving them.

... and it's not looking good for Michael Jackson.

Fleisch's Avatar Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    So I was watching TV and I thought about something i saw..

It was a documentary or something like that about different species of animals.. and I was wondering.. what makes a particular animal so special that we have to out of our way to save them. When we are killing many more species that might be just as important as the others.

Cognition is the answer! i do not care to step on an ant but im careful not to crush a centipide, in the same way i dont care about new born babies because they are dumber than an adult dog.This is my opinion.

One way to look at it is that in order to protect "popular" animals like tigers and polar bears, we have to protect their habitats, which by default means we'll save lots of other species. Saving the whales means keeping the oceans clean and healthy, which means that all sorts of fish and snails and crustaceans and stuff can also thrive. Also, the charismatic animals usually tend to be more intelligent, which we dig because it reminds us of ourselves.

I would suggest that everyone watch Aftermath: After Humans.
    I just got done watching it, and HOLY SHIT, it kinda scared me.. and also made me elated as well.

Now, if we killed half of the animal population and species, then shame on us. But ecosystem would survive.

But, if we killed half of the insect population then we would be fucked.

But imagine how fucked the decaying process would be without insects as well... See their is no way to get rid of them.. because we would all die.. Unless Insects are the key to immortality Then we should get rid of them.. because without insects Decay would be pointless.. If Decay is pointless then death is pointless, going off of that... Since death is pointless, then life itself is pointless..

I am gonna kill some insects now..

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

a centipede is smarter than an ant? I think you just have a preference for number of legs.

also I'm pretty sure that there are not insects in space, and in space no one can hear you scream.

Space doesn't matter.. you can't have sex in space. You can have sex in a spaceship.. that is not space.. I want to have sex floating weightless in space...

Fleisch's Avatar Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    a centipede is smarter than an ant? I think you just have a preference for number of legs.

also I'm pretty sure that there are not insects in space, and in space no one can hear you scream.

Centipides are much smarter and a good friend

Are you sure.. Centipedes don't have the brute force to back them.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory

Actually you're partially wrong on that one. Partially because they are small as insects but they're still animals.

A relatively complex animal, only 1.5mm long but nonetheless an antropod sporting six legs, is able to survive unprotected in the harshest known environment - outer space. Scientists knew tardigrades, often called "water bears," were hardy little creatures, able to survive complete dehydration by going into an unusual dormant state. But no one quite understands how some tardigrades deliberately exposed to the space environment by ESA researchers pulled through and were even happy to breed on returning to Earth after being faced with the unfiltered UV radiation of the sun as well as temperature extremes and vacuum.

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2...ebrate-as.html

Fleisch's Avatar Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Bondage Clown
    Are you sure.. Centipedes don't have the brute force to back them.
    yes they do!

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf8pAwGsuF4 <---centipide is strong

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=lcSED_Xwf-4 <---centipide as a good friend

+ Reply to Thread