+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greatest hits

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

Default Greatest hits

Do you find that when a band you really like puts out a greatest hits or best of album that you are disappointed by the songs that are on it because you know there were better ones that should have made it? This happened to me with Nirvana. Anybody else have this happen?

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Default Re: Greatest hits

Greatest Hits albums usually suck since all they do is collect hit singles and well known songs...the Nirvana one was lame and I just ignored it. I prefer to make my own anyhow.

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Zaire
    ...the Nirvana one was lame and I just ignored it.
    I have to disagree with that part. I thought it kicked ass. Sure it was they're mainstream songs... but hell they're good songs.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    I have to disagree with that part. I thought it kicked ass. Sure it was they're mainstream songs... but hell they're good songs.
    I already owned the albums...even the now rare remastered ones. So the greatest hits was basicly a CD of songs I already had...so for me that was lame. I would of liked to see some REALLY rare stuff on that as a bonus...not a song that was floating around for years already.

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

I already owned the albums...even the now rare remastered ones. So the greatest hits was basicly a CD of songs I already had...so for me that was lame. I would of liked to see some REALLY rare stuff on that as a bonus...not a song that was floating around for years already.
    Blame Courtney for that. That album was supposed to be a boxed set with studio takes and stuff on it but that money hungry bitch put a stop to that. She doesn't care about Cobain's legacy, why should the rest of us? It sucks

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Maybe you'd like a copy of the Outsesticide set? 9-Discs in all

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuietPlace
    Maybe you'd like a copy of the Outsesticide set? 9-Discs in all
    Ah yes I remember those discs well ( I just knew em as "Those Bootleg Albums") since they were always overpriced. I'd always been meaning to buy them but shops that carried them wanted $30 a disc...then I got older...got pissed at Kurt for offing himself...sorta fell out of desire for the material on the discs though I would get stuff here and there.

Hell had you not mentioned them just now I would have forgot them entirely...I'm sure I could score them much cheaper now. I'm kinda pissed though that so much of it was not collected into "legal" collections since it could have lead to more material on them NOW. I'm still pissed no real DVD's have come out on the band (live shows, the MTV stuff they did, etc.)...all the stuff I have is on VHS and LD still. They are still selling rather well to new fans who discover them each year so hopefully it changes soon.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Quote Originally Posted by Jasperino
    Blame Courtney for that. That album was supposed to be a boxed set with studio takes and stuff on it but that money hungry bitch put a stop to that. She doesn't care about Cobain's legacy, why should the rest of us? It sucks
    I use to be a BIG supporter of Courtney...but in the last few years she's fucked up so much in terms of Kurt's legacy, her OWN music and career, and even her own personal life and all in such bullshit and insane ways that it's hard not to wish her dead. I mean look at her now...she has NO excuse for that. She pissed it all away as soon as she got it...fucking pathetic and cowardly. It only shows how weak she really is and how she does not live up to the bullshit she spews out...(yeah I know all a bit harsh but dammit she broke my lil heart with all this nonsense of late.)

Same place but I have been just about everywhere inbetween

The Iggy Pop tribute and bad Brains tribut albumns are amazing

memorydream's Avatar Sage

I don't think they'd have any of the Nirvana songs, except for one, on a greatest hits record. I like what Devo did when they put all their commercially successful on their "greatest hits" and band preferred on "greatest misses." I think the Supersuckers did a great job with their's. They seemed to go by fans reactions, their own impressions and songs that brought in other artists that were big (maybe not the best thing to do on the third perhaps). A lot of older dark wave stuff, I don't get. I think it all must be either what the band feels the most egotistical about, the "leader's" decision or some weird rolling of the dice. Of course, with the Squirrel Nut Zippers, a lot of their commercially successful songs were the better ones for me, then they picked a lot of what seemed to be more individual preferences which were good too. Every once in a while, they'd have a stink-aroo or two on a record. Just my opinion (worth two cents).

+ Reply to Thread