+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is being a funeral director a good job?

Default Is being a funeral director a good job?

I was talking to the people at the new college. (Its slightly better, but its still a florida college, so it is essentially worthless and costing Me money for worthless junk)

and I am taking Art type stuff as My Major, with Paralegal as a Minor. The paralegal teacher recommended a job as a Funeral Director( I dont know why) but that sort of has My interests.

What would the good and bad details of that job be?

TheQuietPlace's Avatar The Delivery Expert

Default Re: Is being a funeral director a good job?

one whose business is the management of funerals
    ^^i'd say thats a good thing ^.^

Well, it certainly pays well.

I dont know the actual details, but it seems more like an Bizarro World Party Planner to Me.

Also Very depressing if you know the" client."

Mother Superior

http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos011.htm

A good job, well, I seriously doubt you'd ever be laid off. If you do the job properly and keep your employer satisfied with your work performance it should be a decent career If you don't mind the atmospheric conditions.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

It's like any management job really...it's not an easy job though and it's high stress to be honest. You need some VERY good people and organizational skills...it's not something you can screw around with. I was working in a funeral home not long back and the head fella there was not one I envyed...you really need to know how to balance the emotional and the buisness side of it...though there are some real scum that work it like a racket...some of the stories I heard were really screwed up. Like one fella who would pretty much rob the corpses after the funeral and others who would sell markers if no one had come to visit after a set period of years...real lowlife stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirren
    http://stats.bls.gov/oco/ocos011.htm

A good job, well, I seriously doubt you'd ever be laid off. If you do the job properly and keep your employer satisfied with your work performance it should be a decent career If you don't mind the atmospheric conditions.
    Thanks. After checking that out, I doubt I want that job.

Mother Superior

No problem

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

you get to work with dead people. dead people are cool, they dont make smart ass comments about how you must be crazy to work in a funeral home. also when your dead you cant shop at wal-mart heh hehehehe... The downside is working with their living relatives but thats probably the real reason why it pays well...

Quote Originally Posted by Kidthorazine
    you get to work with dead people. dead people are cool, they dont make smart ass comments about how you must be crazy to work in a funeral home. also when your dead you cant shop at wal-mart heh hehehehe... The downside is working with their living relatives but thats probably the real reason why it pays well...

Kidthorazine's Avatar hippiepotsmoker

Dont worry im just a little nuts dont take me too seriously man that weed is really kickin in too...

memorydream's Avatar Sage

They sure seem cool to me. But, it would suck to need a sense of humor and not really be able to use it much. I mean after all, we burn corpses up, play dress up, keep guard against necrophiles and put make-up on them. How many times would I have to stop from laughing when I go to a funeral and while the body lies in the sanctuary of the church, everyone is in the next room eating a bunch of very dead meat. Some distant irony there? Perhaps, but...

The funeral directing is fine, but its the handling of corpses that I find rather disgusting. ************

memorydream's Avatar Sage

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar
    The funeral directing is fine, but its the handling of corpses that I find rather disgusting. ************
    Maybe, could be fun...
    But, if you drop 'em when no one's around, no big deal.

Hula Hoop Supervisor

Then it's not going ot be your cup of tea...though to be honest you wouldn't actually be the one preparing the corpse...but you would have a hand in setting it up for presentation.

Truth is after a week you get use to it...they all look like they are sleeping.

So is the person who sets out the food, plants, decoration : The caterer? Pardon Spelling.

Jasperino's Avatar Senior Member

you could grab a couple of cold ones anytime you want...

Hula Hoop Supervisor

So is the person who sets out the food, plants, decoration : The caterer? Pardon Spelling.
    There is no food at the viewing or funeral...that is at the wake and that is usually handled in a family members home. That has zero to do with what you do.

As far as set up and what not...that's ONE aspect you'd have to oversee...it's very much like an office job since so much paperwork and phone calls need to be made before each funeral. Not to mention making sure ANYTHING needed to make it go smoothly...goes smoothly. There is quite a lot to it.

koolagh's Avatar Resident Barbarian

No, you would be in charge of selling the caskets, making religious arrangements, limo and hearse rental, scheduling in case the funeral home you work in has multiple bodies. And yes, funeral services directors do have to handle the bodies, including clean up, embalming, clothing the corpse, and (yes) the cosmetology meaning you get to learn how to apply makeup and hairdressing skills. You also get to learn how to do reconstructive repair in the most extreme cases. You get to learn to cremate. How do I know all of this? I went to school for it a while back, participated in one autopsy, then had to drop out of school due to financial reasons. I have kept in touch with some of my former classmates and they all ssem to concur that it is a job like nothing else, except when drowning victims or very young children are brought in, then it gets difficult. Children for obvious reasons, but drowning victims are very difficult to work on since, when you drown, your lungs explode, very messy. Yes it sounds morbid, but it is an excellent career choice seeing as:
    1. People are always dying, so you would have job security
    2. No two bodies can be prepared the same way, so they can NEVER be any kind of automation

+ Reply to Thread