+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tampons are almost $9 now! WTF inflation?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Tampons are almost $9 now! WTF inflation?

What is the most messed up price rise you've been seeing with our effed world economy?

Somehow paying that much for one little box -- and not the giant last-a-year box -- really brings home how appalling the inflation we are dealing with is.

That and having to stop buying gourmet bacon and seeing only sucky overpriced produce at the market.

Default Re: Tampons are almost $9 now! WTF inflation?

And they say consuming more now will save the economy.

Eggs took the bigest hit here. Going from 0.50-1.00 NOK to 3.00-5.00 NOK up.

Im guessing there's a joke about inflation to be made. But I wouldn't touch it if L7 told me too.

But yea..even my razorblades are 16$ a pack. Shit

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    And they say consuming more now will save the economy.

Eggs took the bigest hit here. Going from 0.50-1.00 NOK to 3.00-5.00 NOK up.

I am a bit of a foodie, so I used to splurge and buy the eggs which were like $3 a package. When they just about doubled in price, I went down to the cheapest ones I could find that were still cage free. They are not as good and they are kind of the same price as what I was paying for the good ones before. Just couldn't see paying $8 for eggs. Used to be possible to get 99 cent cartons of eggs near me, but not any more. Pretty soon, I think I'm going to be buying eggs which are less tasty and less healthy and less morally appealing and they will still be too much money.

Bedlamite

I just have issues with food. Everything is getting expensive, but we've had to cut out 'fresh' foods like veggies, potatoes, hummus, and our bi-weekly overpriced cheese.. I've switched to frozen for the sake of ecnonomy. It works. I love the fresh! I just wish it wouldn't cost me 50 bucks just to get out of the Veggie isle.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

when I was growing up we sometimes had to make 150 last a month, yesterday we went shopping and we're starting to shop the way we used too (canned food, tons of potatoes). We even pulled out our bread maker...we have to start cutting corners. And at the store yesterday, almost every single person had a calculator and a list (which you never see anymore)..I am starting to see people feeling it everywhere...pretty crazy stuff...

we started potty training Kaden 2 days ago cause we ran out of diapers, and at over 20 bucks a week, it adds up. So no more diapers woot!

But when he grows up it''ll be a good potty training story "Kaden, it was the repression of `08 , things were bad...they were really bad..." haha

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

gas is only 2.99 here........ what are we talking about here? a 10 pack? what brand? I'm not trying to get up in your personal bussiness, I'm just wondering, beacause I bought a 20 pack for the dressing room at work, and it was only 9.50..... mine are wxpensive because I use the natural 100% organic unbleached cotton ones from whole foods. those mammas are like 22 bux for 20 pack.
    *must. protect. the coochie.*
    drugstore tampons are terrible for you.

Quote Originally Posted by VoldtaEngler
    even my razorblades are 16$ a pack. Shit
    no shit! mine are fucking $24! and I only get four! >

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    I want to see that on a t-shirt, or bumper sticker.

...hey, it works as a campaign slogan for Obama too.

I don't give a fuck, I still buy fresh broccoli, green beans, lettuce, and cabbages. I do buy lentil beans though, they've gone up about .20 cents to around $1 for a pound, but a pound can last about a week. I still buy organic meats too, chicken, turkey, and grass fed beef, and buffalo, I just try to be conscious of how much I'm eating of each, so that I'm hitting my nutritional goals rather than just scraffin' 'em down.

I get my eggs in chinatown for $1.75 a dozen, not "great" quality, but deffinitly not bad either. This is where I get alot of my veggies too, cheaper than the rest of the city. I get alot of my meats and veggies from the farmer's markets, which is about average for price, but super top-notch quality.

I've cut back on seafood/fish. I used to get tuna, and salmon every week, usually frozen. Now I buy herring, or sardines in cans, and have that during the week.

If things go completely in the shitter, and all of these things become insanely too expensive I can always fall back on living off of beans, and some greens. But by budgeting, I find that I can afford organic meats, and such, and I make less than $400 a week right now too. Rent is still my biggest expense by far, but by cutting out all meals out (which kind of goes against the New Yorker way of life) I've found I can still eat fairly well.

I do buy herbal supplements, protein powders, and such too, but I don't smoke, drink, have cable, go to many movies. I quite buying books for the most part, it was painful, but I can always go to the library when I want them, same for DVD's.

Obviously I don't buy tampons, but getting by on little cash is important to me these days. Frugality is Hot.

Farmer markets are great resources, specially for the bargain part, and you can pay a visit to the farmer and see your future meal if you want. I have one 1 station away from my place and weekly shopping there covers up basically all my needs. I get fish from the two german guys that go fishing for a ridiculusly cheap price and other meat I get from the local butchery which is quite rare for me these days.

You can grow really simple things like spices at your place, no matter how small it is. It really plays difference with the fresh stuff.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I haven't really noticed any major price changes, probably b/c I don't usually look at the price of things. I just buy whatever. (If my mother knew that about me she'd have a fit).
    I used to waste a lot of food. Like I'd buy tons of veggies in an effort to start eating healthier but it would all just go rotten in a hurry so I've taken to trying to preserve things a little better.
    I can't really afford not to at the moment.
    I know what you mean about razors though. The good ones are super expensive but it's not worth buying the cheap ones. What the hell?

Quote Originally Posted by mystoo
    I used to waste a lot of food. Like I'd buy tons of veggies in an effort to start eating healthier but it would all just go rotten in a hurry so I've taken to trying to preserve things a little better.
    I used to do the same, but then I figured it was better to have it on hand, so I'd have the option, and I did eat a little bit better than when the stuff wasn't around.

now though, I only have fresh veggies, and such on hand, so I have to eat them or nothing

You girls might try swimming in a river where paper industry releases their stuff illegally.
    That's like free lifetime depilation. Just don't swallow the water and don't dip your head in, except beard if you have one.

Bikerpunk's Avatar Ill-intentioned bad apple

I use a straight razor, if I was a girl I'd use a "keeper".

Edit: Why doesn't youtube code work?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB9fuIvksLw

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Fuel is the killer over here - average home gas/elec prices are several times what they were a year or so back and every few months there's another 40% hike. Luckily, house prices have fallen by a third, so it's becoming economically more viable to just saw off chunks off the building and burn it.

Unleaded dropped through the magic pound-a-liter price on Friday - that's $6.50 a gallon to the folks back home. Diesel is still around $8.50.

aXa's Avatar Senior Member

i like a good steak every once and awhile. but damn, has the price of good meat gone up. i miss my old butcher. hate to think what a good kosher steak goes for nowadays.

Mindgames's Avatar A guy who makes girls

Tis turned off, lest we become infested with dancing hamsters. BTDT.

It's amazing what printing tons of money will do to the value thereof.

Well, you could just turn it off for abusive posters or have a limit on how much you can post.

Quote Originally Posted by VoltaireBlue
    gas is only 2.99 here........ what are we talking about here? a 10 pack? what brand? I'm not trying to get up in your personal bussiness, I'm just wondering, beacause I bought a 20 pack for the dressing room at work, and it was only 9.50..... mine are wxpensive because I use the natural 100% organic unbleached cotton ones from whole foods. those mammas are like 22 bux for 20 pack.
    drugstore tampons are terrible for you.

I've used OB tampons since I was like 12. Depending on the size of the pack, they were normally like $3 to $7, packs ranging from 20 to 80 is size. This was a pretty average 40 pack, so $9 is a pretty big increase. Sounds like it would be worse if I got organic ones at Whole Foods. There is a lot of stuff I would normally buy organic that I'm either getting less of or less organic of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB9fuIvksLw

You gotta put just the YouTube video ID (in this case jB9fuIvksLw) and not the whole YouTube URL in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindgames
    Tis turned off, lest we become infested with dancing hamsters. BTDT.

Nah, it is all good. See below.

thx

that's very expensive for o.b.'s. youch.

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

I noticed it when the house ran out of toilet paper and we went to get a big package to tide the 6 people that were living there over the next month and it was like 15$. Tampons I believe should still be a FUCK of a lot cheaper. The crunch HURTS. Don't even get me started on Condoms man, that shit is Ridiculous. Even though I don't have health care it's cheaper to spring for prescriptions than rubbers. $13 for SIX. *shakes head* and they say it's a "minor recession". I could rant for a while here but I don't want to dwell.

~k

I've had so many rubbers thrown at me in the past year I'm set for the next twenty, given my rate of consumption.

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

Well my vote is for cannibalism. Given the astronomically bullshit rate of inflation and the lowering wage in many places, I see it happening. With more jobs being lost and no end in site and the abuse of this bailout, we just got stuck with a huge and no vasiline.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by keiko
    I noticed it when the house ran out of toilet paper and we went to get a big package to tide the 6 people that were living there over the next month and it was like 15$. Tampons I believe should still be a FUCK of a lot cheaper. The crunch HURTS. Don't even get me started on Condoms man, that shit is Ridiculous. Even though I don't have health care it's cheaper to spring for prescriptions than rubbers. $13 for SIX. *shakes head* and they say it's a "minor recession". I could rant for a while here but I don't want to dwell.

~k
    Hahaha! The great part is that the government still won't even categorize it as a recession yet. I mean, come on, does the government think Americans are that stupid that we haven't figured out that not only is this a recession, but it's a major recession. We all fuckin' know the truth. Why does the government STILL try to lie right to our faces?

Because they make money from oil, and they are still making money on their short position.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    Because they make money from oil, and they are still making money on their short position.
    Yeah, but oil is also going way down in price per barrel. The perverbial cat's outta the bag so the government should just call it what it is now. The whole thing just makes me think that the government honestly thinks the average American is a total moron and as long as they tell us blatant lies, we will believe them. It makes me detest them even more.

You know in the movie Land of the Dead where they distract the zombies by shooting off fireworks?

The war. American Gladiators. BOOM. TSSS. BOOM.
    Fake patriotism, flag waving. BOOM. TSSSS. BOOM.

Yeah, but even the brain dead zombies finally figured out what the living humans were trying to do with the fireworks.

So will the living humans, eventually.

See...That's my point though. I think a very large majority of Americans have figured it out, but the government is so blind and out of touch with us that they keep the lies going when really there's just no point anymore. I'm voting for Obama, not because I think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but more because at least he doesn't try to hide the fact that we're all in deep shit. I'm just so tired of the bullshit lies. It way fuckin' old now.

McCain kept on talking about that Joe the plumber guy trying to say that he's the average American. Joe the Plumber is all worried about what will happen if he makes more than $250,000.00 a year. Yeah, that's the average American? That's "Main Street"? Give me a fuckin' break. The average American right now is just worried about keeping their jobs (if they have one) and paying their bills. Not about being taxed more if they made more than $250,000.00. Like I said...Government and McCain is out of touch. It's time for a new sheriff to come to town.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

stuff's always going up in price

all part of the plan

a_small_death's Avatar The ugliest dj on earth

at least we all have chicken.

helcyon's Avatar i am no one

The tampons themselves are happy anyway - you knew that.

At what point does it become cheaper to simply use a rolled up dollar bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerpunk
    At what point does it become cheaper to simply use a rolled up dollar bill?
    When our dollar is less than the rest of the worlds....wait..

+ Reply to Thread