+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What we are doing to the planet we are living on?

TirexMan's Avatar Junior Member

Default What we are doing to the planet we are living on?

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I have a question and would like to see where everyone stands on this.
    Lets compare the world as a whole to a smaller place in an ecosystem. Lets say the maximum amount of deer in particular alloted, closed off forest, is 200. This forest supports 200 deer stability for a long period of time because of the self supporting ecosystem. Lets say a huge amount of food is dumped in that forest that only the deer eat. So the deer breed out of control and eat all the food, that food is gone and with a population of 2000 deer all the rest of potential food will be gone also. So the deer starve and die in huge quantities and after the damage they did on the environment, it supports only 20 deer now.

Since this same logic can be applied to humans and the world, why would we be worrying about something as seemingly trivial as abortion being legal or not? shouldn't space exploration be a bigger priority? Or at least more of an attention to what we are doing to the planet we are living on?

I really ask this because I do not understand your positions on this. Please help me here.

P.S. Sorry If wrong place!

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: What we are doing to the planet we are living on?

In the next couple million years the sun is going to start into a accelerated stage of fusion where it will get brighter and probably kill 90% of the life on the planet. in the next billion years the milky way galaxy will cross paths with the Andromeda galaxy and if the solar system survives to that point, five billion years from now the sun will burnt out and engulf the first three or four planets. After that if the galaxy hasn't been devoured by black holes, chances are that all points will just split off and the universe will become still and dead in the next billion billion years. and either way, i'll be long dead.

so everything seems pretty trivial, if you ask me.

Blitz's Avatar mydickisinthewhatnow?

i'd say your right m.g., but you forgot about the zombies. oh yeah,there coming!

motormenace's Avatar Senior Member

Come to Maryland, you can hunt almost all the dear that you want!

motormenace's Avatar Senior Member

Oh, and yeah for zombies!!!!

I don't know, I just get the feeling this is one of those weird intelligent conversation bots. so I didn't really want to discuss the topic.

what he's talking about is carrying capacity, which denialists don't like to believe in. they don't like to believe in global warming either. I think it is an important topic, but unfortunately one that pretty much no one is dealing with on an institutionalized scale.

As far as it being more important that other issues.... it depends on your POV. I'd say that both micro and macro factors are important and need to be addressed. You really can't accurately rank them against each other. To the survival of any species the long-term health of the world is the most important factor... but unless we deal with our own personal issues than we are never going to get far enough to deal with the bigger ones.

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    I don't know, I just get the feeling this is one of those weird intelligent conversation bots. so I didn't really want to discuss the topic.

what he's talking about is carrying capacity, which denialists don't like to believe in. they don't like to believe in global warming either. I think it is an important topic, but unfortunately one that pretty much no one is dealing with on an institutionalized scale.

As far as it being more important that other issues.... it depends on your POV. I'd say that both micro and macro factors are important and need to be addressed. You really can't accurately rank them against each other. To the survival of any species the long-term health of the world is the most important factor... but unless we deal with our own personal issues than we are never going to get far enough to deal with the bigger ones.

I kinda weirded out that the bots are starting relatively interesting topics from time to time at this point. I guess, if it makes an okay thread, it makes an okay thread, but WTF?

Come to think of it, WTF pretty much sums up how I feel about most things this week.

I know, right? the real members are trolls, and the fake members are interesting. We really are living in the future.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by The bot
    shouldn't space exploration be a bigger priority? !

I wonder the same thing
    Last edited by Mr Karl; 10-19-2008 at 09:05 PM. Reason: spelling

well the problem with space exploration is the it is largely academic and not really cost effective. the fact that they discovered that mars had liquid water at one point is interesting to scientists, but to the average Joe he says yeah, so what? We are looking for things that are going to directly benefit mankind, such as a possible habitable planet, and that just isn't happening.

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I kinda weirded out that the bots are starting relatively interesting topics from time to time at this point. I guess, if it makes an okay thread, it makes an okay thread, but WTF?

Come to think of it, WTF pretty much sums up how I feel about most things this week.
    you're right, this week was seriously one of the top 5 fucked up weeks of my life...

TirexMan's Avatar Junior Member

Default What we are doing to the planet we are living on?

Yes. I know it.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Yes, you know you're a bot?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Can we have a big faux street team cheer for environmentalist bot spam?

[insert crickets]

Yeah, I know there is mad cash is acting like a company is researching green technology, so I understand where the funding for this promo comes from, but come on.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Quote Originally Posted by motormenace
    Come to Maryland, you can hunt almost all the dear that you want!
    exactly... and if you are far enough north in maryland (like frederick) you can go to pennsylvania and hunt your ass off also...

i don't personally hunt (unless it's people)... the meat i buy comes neatly packaged and is all from the meat tree... free range meat tree...

+ Reply to Thread