+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you care what others think about you?

Default Do you care what others think about you?

I am 99.9% sure I posted this thread yesterday but somehow it magically disappeared.
    Amelia? Forrest? Whatever.....

Well... Topic says it all. Do you care what others think about you. Reply from the other disappeared topic by Bikerpunk inspired me to ask this. I do care what others think about me if it's positive and I don't give a damn thing about it if they don't like me which is only because they're jealous or just plain evil.
    Why am I so sure?
    Because I know who I am and how good and righteous person I actually am. Put aside criminals and bullies because if you don't treat them as you should you'll get crossed.

I love to make super cool delicious food for my friends. Buy them stuff (I always live like is my last day). Buy them drinks when we're out and I know they're short on cash and stuff. List goes on.
    Practically what I'm trying to say here is that it makes me happy when people around me are happy.

Now nobody is perfect and I admit I do turn away my head when I see some sadness and I can't help. I do it because I know even if I try my best that it wouldn't change anything. And there's no better reward that truly honestly appreciation from your friend.

I didn't mentioned family because they're above everything.

Hug everyone!

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default Re: Do you care what others think about you?

Why would anyone delete this topic? Does it violate something in the FAQ I'm missing? Are you secretly promoting shopping at 123456?

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Of course, everyone cares what other people think about them, except for sociopaths.

Hahaha 123456 is a damn good store, don't discriminate now!
    And I don't have anything to do with bots.... unfortunately *thinks about model 3 and 6*

Now seriously, I said 99,9% so there was 0,1% chance that it didn't get posted due to sucky internet connection at the new place. Plus I guessed that maybe there was another outrageous fight at the "unposted" thread so that it was deleted for good reason.

*googling for sociopath*

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I care, but really only in regards to competance in the workplace

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

I care what the people I care about think of me...others..not so much. Of course I wouldn't want people, even those I don't know to think I'm an asshole but if someone comes out with a judgment call and they don't even know me, those are the ones who can go fuck themselves. Make sense?

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

I older I get, the less I give a shit.

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

I only care what certain people think of me. If I think you're cool, I want you to think I'm cool. If I think you're a bag of ass, I actively try to poke the bear.

Last night after work it was just me, a waitress and one bartender closing up. I got the waitress so pissed off and flustered that she threw a shot of whiskey in my face. But the bartender, a buddy of mine was laughing so hard he couldn't breath so I called it a win on both counts.

Vexbeast's Avatar Eat me, I'm nutritious.

I care what people who interest me think of me. Whether I like them, hate them, or don't really mind either way, as long as they don't bore me, I want to know what they're thinking. Makes taunting them more fun...

Although most of the people I like are smart enough to expect me to manipulate them, which I actually don't do, which ends up kinda awkward...

Also I'm working on adopting a manner that makes people cross the street so they don't have to deal with me...

That way I don't have to deal with them...

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

oh yeah, big time, it consumes my life, im psychotically a people pleaser

I agree with Myst, Rock and Vex. If I admire things about you, then it matters to me what you think of me. If someone who is really cool and groovy has an issue with me, I am going to try to figure out why... is it that person who has the problem, is it some kind of misunderstanding, or am I doing something wrong? I don't let it consume my life, but I think that that sort of reflection can be an important way to grow. And, of course, if I like you and you like me back, that rocks.

The majority of random folks, on the other hand, I'll be neutral and open if I'm working and I'll be pleasant-ish enough most other times, but they can really just fuck right off.

Bedlamite

Of course I care. Someone disliking you can create alot of drama that can lead to discomfort/bad things happening. Its not in the least that I personally go out of my way to get people to like me. I always have to generally assume that there is no one who is really my friend until/unless they prove otherwise.

There is a fine line somewhere in there between pandering purely to be liked, and simply attempting to keep your reputation stable enough to function without drama interfering in your everyday life.

What other people think is a grey-zone of ideals... alot of people will purely say they don't care... but people is also too general a term. People doesn't work for an across the board generalization. I'm a people, but my opinion isn't always represented by the mass of creatures called people.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    I older I get, the less I give a shit.
    word.
    though that's not saying much.
    when i was younger, i cared what *everyone* thought about about me.
    it's narrowed a bit.
    i try to pretend i don't care, mostly.
    i really wish i didn't care what most people thought about me.
    considering the fact that i probably hate them, i don't know why i should care.
    i just want unadulterated admiration from all. *you can tell i was an only child*

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

not unless its my parents, my boss, or my closest friends. other than that, not in the slightest.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

Quote Originally Posted by soma_stardust
    word.
    though that's not saying much.
    when i was younger, i cared what *everyone* thought about about me.
    it's narrowed a bit.
    i try to pretend i don't care, mostly.
    i really wish i didn't care what most people thought about me.
    considering the fact that i probably hate them, i don't know why i should care.
    i just want unadulterated admiration from all. *you can tell i was an only child*
    Put it this way....I could give a shit if you like me or not. I am what I am and if you don't like that, well, I figure you just have bad taste. I have spent many hours contemplating who I am. I know my bad points and my good points and I know as a friend I have alot more pros than cons.I usually base if I'm going to allow you to be my friend from that same scale. I'm very particular on who I become friends with. From my major being psychology in college, I'm quick to analyze a person I meet and I usually know within a half an hour, just what type of person you are and if we'd make good friends. From what I can tell, I'm excellent at reading people and for every person that I dissed because of my analyzation of them, in the end, I haven't been wrong yet.

One side note-
    When I was younger I was much different. One time my older brother took me aside and said, "Ajax, why do you give a shit if people like you or not? You go out of your way to be a crowd pleaser and let's face facts...Most people are assholes." He was pretty right. From that point on I cared less and less.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

haha. I like what your brother said.

I tend to respond to opinions expressed as concrete, informative statements, but I've always been fairly oblivious to sheer emotional approval or disapproval. Facing an angry crowd competing to express loudest disapproval of me gives me a bit of a rush for being the center of attention, but that's it.

It also means I don't really know what to do with non-specific compliments coming from people I have nothing substantial to say to. The few times it's happened gaining positive attention from larger crowds, self confined to facelessness as they tend to be, actually felt much the same to me as when it was violent indignation.

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

No.

Yes.

Both.

Depends on the person.

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

I only care if the person is importent to me, like friends or family.

My medication is making me not care

keiko's Avatar baker of geekery

i don't really care, but sometimes i wonder what what opinions they form. esp during certain situations. when the lot of us are being odd, or whatever. it makes me wonder, but i'd never fret about it.

~K

One Eyed Cat's Avatar Senior Member

Generally speaking, I would only care if it was friends or family. Beyond that, it would be more a matter of adherence to principle and civility. I do my best these days to practice both. Beyond that, I don't care. Opinions can be an inconvenience and people an obstacle. It's not worth my time to go beyond removing them as such in as civil a manner as possible. I do have a fucked-up temper though as well. Not saying it awlays works out.

OEC

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

i personally don't care...

(unless someone doesn't like me... then it bugs the hell out of me...)

That's a killer. If someone who is a ok person and deserves respect doesn't like me I do my best to prove them that they're wrong. It usually happens, like Keiko said, in odd situation and people get wrong impression of me. Sometimes is fun, just to toy with them but it's a short kick. Afterwards sucked.
    One chick actually almost destroyed my reputation earlier in the clubbing scene. That sucked to get back to where it was. On the end I confronted all mayor players plus some witnesses to clear the thing out.

I wish I was more like Rockwulf. I never thought I'll say that

spyinxxx's Avatar Member

I care if it comes from someone I care about, thee it be positive or negative, all other comments are filed under up too dismissal by management aka do I really care what he-she just said did he she care about me...no then the answer is no easy to do once you get into the habit of doing it, inter personal de-personalization through factual representation of the here and now...

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

No...I just want people to think that I'm cool and that I'm attractive..

TimmyChaw's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle Harlequin
    No...I just want people to think that I'm cool and that I'm attractive..

Awesome Thistle...

For me it's kinda both. I dont require validation, but I do care about my standings with that person. If someone has an issue with me, I NEED to know. I dont need to hear good things about me, I need to know what they MEAN.

I've never had a high opinion of myself, Keiko is the first person to get me in front of the camera and show me that I can be sexy too. By me coming here and posting pictures, I'm not trying to hear people call me sexy, I just want to know if I'm totally off base. Not trying to validate myself, just checking my standings...

It always drives me crazy when a super hot girl acts like she's not hot just so everyone will tell her she's wrong. I'm not trying to do that here, I honestly dont think I'm good looking. Thats why I posted, so I can stop thinking that way. I dont want to be a hypocrite, so I'm testing the waters.

I keep thinking how funny it would be if I totally became that one hot guy... Cause I'd prolly turn into such a whore, lol...

Well now that ya mention it, having half of your first posts be about tasting the site and licking your screen and tasting the models, ya do come off a little Dahmer-creepy.

Just sayin'.

Whats wrong with a little licking? I submit there is nothing wrong...

And you cant tell me you dont wanna taste of the sexy that graces us with their presence

nathanmbailey's Avatar Batteries not included

Yeah, but my screen doesn't taste too good...

But to answer the question, it's not so much what someone thinks of me, but why they think it. I'm an asshole to most people, mostly because it's fun and I like to see people's reactions. If it really bothers them I usually stop, or at least pause long enough for them to feel better. But if someone really doesn't like me, all I want to know is why. I asked someone why they didn't like me and after they answered I was like, "Oh, yeah, that makes sense."

But when it comes to the handful of people I actually call friends, I'm like fucking paranoid about what they think most of the time. I'm one of those people who'll go out of their way to help out a friend with minor shit just to keep them as a friend, and they all know, the more I rag on them, the more I like them. Then again, most of my friends are fellow shit talkers and open minded. The thing that actually gets me, is just dirty looks from people that never give me a chance, whether it be based on my choice of clothing, the music pumping out of my shitty truck when I'm driving through rich neighborhoods (it's actually a much enjoyed pass time of mine), or some other stupid thing that someone doesn't like. That drives me nuts because I'll sit and wonder about why they gave me that look and analyze for rediculous amounts of time afterward.

The other group I worry about besides my friends is the people I work with. I like being able to have people look up to me for my work ethic and knowledge. There's just something nice about knowing I'm the first one people go to when they're electronics and shit start acting stupid. Plus it's nice because I can pull shit others can't, like setting up a cot between two containers and taking a nap when there's no work going on.

Oh, it doesn't much help I'm constantly paranoid...

What's wrong with all you people who have said they're paranoid about if their friends like them???

Here's a hint dumbasses! If they don't like you, then they're not your friends!

Jesus, I've sat quiet while like 15 people have said the same thing in this thread. "Oooh golly, I wonder if my friends are going behind my back and plotting to kill my family." No! They're fucking not! If they call you up all the time and invite you to hang out, they don't spend the first hour before you arrive saying to each other, "Hey, you know what's funny? I invited that asshole that we all hate. It's gonna be hillarious while we sit here for a couple hours and endure his/her bullshit when we could have just not called him/her and had a great time on our own."

I can honestly say that all the people I consider friends think I'm cool. And I think they're cool.

If at some point either my friend or myself does something that the other considers uncool, that person gets told what's up. If, after they're told, they don't give a shit and keep doing it, the person at fault is subject to losing their friend and/or an ass kicking.

Friendship is a very fucking simple process people. Grow a pair and quit being such cowardly little bitches.

-This message brought to you by the Rockwulf Foundation For a Testicularly Fortified America.

Thistle Harlequin's Avatar Oldschool Member

my reply was more of a quote from Jerri Blank's "Strangers with Candy" in which she's asked the same question..lol it's hilarious!

Oh man, I love Strangers with Candy...

"Hey Jerri, thinkin about joining the science fair?"

"Naw, I'm thinkin about pussy."

+ Reply to Thread