+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What makes a good thread title?

Amelia G's Avatar chick in charge

Default What makes a good thread title?

People, please make your thread title have something to do with the topic of your thread.

A good thread title has some accurate information about the topic, so people browsing know whether or not they are interested in clicking on it.

A question often makes a good thread title because then your forum pals can post with their thoughts on the answer.

Please do not post misleading or uninformative thread titles. Thanks.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

Default Re: What makes a good thread title?

ok? is this a topic for discussion or an FAQ? maybe it should be the in sticky section?

I think the most important thing for a thread title is to be something snappy that catches peoples attention. I like to make it vague and not really give away what it's about so people have to click on it, and then once they do, then they will see what the topic is about and understand the meaning of the title.

Vexbeast's Avatar Eat me, I'm nutritious.

This thread has a bad title.

I thought you were asking for humorous suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexbeast
    This thread has a bad title.

I thought you were asking for humorous suggestions.

Humorous suggestions would be totally appropriate and welcome in this thread.

A number of people have told me that the threads with titles like "yay" or "argh" or "douchebags" are bothering them because they really don't know what they would be clicking on and the inside of the thread has nothing to do with the outside. You wouldn't want to think you were buying apples and get foie gras, ya know.

I think this is a reasonable complaint and would like to oblige them and I feel the goatse rule really suggests this in spirit anyway.

I've never clicked on a thread without reading the drop-down textbox that appears when you hover the cursor over it.

It's pretty rare to find a thread where that doesn't give you a good idea of what it's like.

I wonder how many people don't realise you can do that...

Quote Originally Posted by Vexbeast
    I've never clicked on a thread without reading the drop-down textbox that appears when you hover the cursor over it.

It's pretty rare to find a thread where that doesn't give you a good idea of what it's like.

I wonder how many people don't realise you can do that...

Good tip, although unfortunately that actually doesn't work in all browsers.

It seems like it would be easier for thread starters to title their threads helpfully, rather than for thread readers to buy new computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia G
    I think this is a reasonable complaint and would like to oblige them and I feel the goatse rule really suggests this in spirit anyway.
    we have that rule? I vote that it be revoked. in fact, I'm going to go one step further and say that the opposite should be mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    we have that rule? I vote that it be revoked. in fact, I'm going to go one step further and say that the opposite should be mandatory.

Is everybody taking disagreeability pills this week or is it just a hangover from the election or cowboy hats?

that was a joke. I don't really want every link to be redirected to obscene content. well, I do think it would be a little funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    that was a joke. I don't really want every link to be redirected to obscene content. well, I do think it would be a little funny.

Sorry, apparently I drank a big glass of no-sense-of-humor today.

Sooooo . . . if say 3 out of every 4 threads sometimes took you to the thread and sometimes took you to smut, what kind of smut content would you prefer to have forced on you?

DoctorZ's Avatar Senior Member

The kind from BlooBlood. You got some good smut.

>_>

Disclaimer: As well as other very informative and thought provoking content. And I'm sure the girls in your smut are very intelligent, and to have a conversation with them would be an enlightening experience. [/covermyass]

I dunno, I often find that if the entire essence - or something that I can imagine could be the entire essence - of a thread is given away in the title, I no longer feel like clicking it; and years of paying attention to this on various fora around the internet suggest that many others work the same way. Your suggestion is practically sound in the consideration of effective communication of information, but I'm not sure that it stands in a psychological, recreational context.

I find threads with uninformitive titles have the greatest tendency to deviate to humorous side-conversations.

When I'm bored, I'll even check them specifically for that reason...

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

It depends if its a "serious" thread or when I just want to shout something out.
    I DO NOT want people to start editing what I say.
    Last edited by Dusk; 11-07-2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: forgot some words

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

On your newswire threads, you always post the first 3 or 4 sentences of the article in the title. Why don't you do that with everybody's regular threads? Than everybody would know what the thread is basically about before they click on it.

For instance, your last news article's title was "True Confessions and a Bottle of Rum Rock Me Like a Hurricane ". The pirate part I get, but the rest of the title would be confusing as to what this article is about. Reading the first few sentences let's the reader know if they want to go further and check it out.

+ Reply to Thread