+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Far better thread than Rockwulf's!

Default Far better thread than Rockwulf's!

So cutting yourself up is pretty in again right now, but this fine artist is taking the beauty of self-destruction to entirely new extremes.

http://www.documentingreality.com/fo...ous-help-11192

Mind you; these concerned mundanes seem to mean as well as they are able while maintaining the appropriate level of disapproval for something so thoroughly beyond their imagination, but I'm not even sure they've got the gender pegged, let alone the ideal response.

I'm not much for indulging depression and emphasising grief, but it's evident that there's more than emo-ness to these works. There's too much eye for detail, composition, pattern - not to mention the obvious touch of vanity - for it all to not double as the impressively successful pursuit of a morbid and wonderful aesthetic ideal. Regardless of whether this is to be attributed to courage, to apathy, or to intense self-loathing; it has earned my admiration.

Default Re: Far better thread than Rockwulf's!

Rockwulf's Avatar Negatory

That's absolutely revolting. Like I said in the last cutting thread, you're just not cutting deep enough.

As far as the gender issue, it's emo so even the guys can be classified as girls.

Seems like our resident agent provocateur is suffering from selective toughness again.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

everyone needs a hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    Seems like our resident agent provocateur is suffering from selective toughness again.
    How do ya figure?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwulf
    How do ya figure?
    Yeah, I'm just fine.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

could've used a heads up on that one. we have very different definitions of "cool".

rock's thread was supposed to be funny, I suppose that if you really enjoy working in a butcher shop or performing autopsies then you'd like that.

Yeah, I read the first 3 pages and with the exception of shock value that thread was pointless.

I have to admit that whole thread made me hungry for some pastrami.

Bedlamite

I was just looking at her article. I have to have faint agreement with Raza. I don't think she's Emo, or Cutting for attention. There seems to be something more intent behind those cuts... Something that needs to be medicated, and tucked neatly into the far end of a nice cozy mental ward.

How do ya figure?
    What is revulsion, if not just another form of offense?

Something disturbs you - self harm, incest, etc - you speak out against those partaking in it. The execution is more masculine than that of your own detractors, but the formula no less similar for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory
    could've used a heads up on that one.
    What, beyond the expansive commentary on its content in the OP?

Ali Stardust's Avatar Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    There seems to be something more intent behind those cuts... Something that needs to be medicated, and tucked neatly into the far end of a nice cozy mental ward.
    i agree

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedanima
    I was just looking at her article. I have to have faint agreement with Raza. I don't think she's Emo, or Cutting for attention. There seems to be something more intent behind those cuts... Something that needs to be medicated, and tucked neatly into the far end of a nice cozy mental ward.
    Agreed. Cutting to that extent could mean a lot of things, but none of them are desirable mental states in which to exist. Based on her writings on the tiles, I would say she's probably dealing with loss, numbness, and depression to a degree that's completely overrun all of her other coping mechanisms.

I think, also, that they did get the gender correct, and that this is a woman.

mystoo's Avatar Pirate Hooker

Hmmm....yuck?

While I am a fan of well executed scarification, those cuts are anything but.
    On quite a few of those pics, bone is visible. Those cuts are asking for a lethal infection.
    Though the fact that her body didn't go into shock while those cuts where made is strangely impressive, that is rather disturbing.

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

There's no way she ever goes to the doctor's to sew that shit up. They'd Baker Act her ass in a second.

Its looking like she has sewn em up herself if ya look at the pictures.

Preplanned and composed "art" sucks in my book. True art happens in a moment regardless of safety or anything else.

This feels just like using a already made idea and taking it to the next level. In this case a deeper level. Like remixing a song that has been remixed million times, but with fresher sound.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

It is revolting.............but it is fascinating too

Pull~My~Hair's Avatar makes your life seem good

sick, she looks sick. she obviously has an eating disorder and multiple mental disorders, shes gonna get Staph infection. She's suicidal and asking for help. Im all for body mods, but this is just to see how long you can bleed before you die. These are serious wounds. no bueno

Quote Originally Posted by Raza
    What is revulsion, if not just another form of offense?

Something disturbs you - self harm, incest, etc - you speak out against those partaking in it. The execution is more masculine than that of your own detractors, but the formula no less similar for that.
    Y'er talkin' out yer ass. You know that right?

Vexbeast's Avatar Eat me, I'm nutritious.

She should just donate herself to a biology class to be vivisected.

Y'er talkin' out yer ass. You know that right?
    I would, actually, but it's having some difficulty pronouncing 'detractors'.

It's in those 'r's

Dusk's Avatar Senior Member

could've used a heads up on that one. we have very different definitions of "cool".

rock's thread was supposed to be funny, I suppose that if you really enjoy working in a butcher shop or performing autopsies then you'd like that.
    I liked doing disections in school and if I could get a job in a morgue I would take it in a heart beat, but the thing that turned my stomach was that she did this herself.

soma_stardust's Avatar ~soul-eating model~

Quote Originally Posted by Vexbeast

as much as i like disturbing things, as much as i wish i could cut and bleed... this is too much even for me. not being a doctor, i'm not a person who sees open flesh and cuts to the bone on a regular basis (or ever, outside of tv and movies.)
    this is a life-endangering thing. this person needs to stop or they'll die sooner rather than later....
    gross, yet intriguing.
    *i'm scared*

Quote Originally Posted by soma_stardust

as much as i like disturbing things, as much as i wish i could cut and bleed... this is too much even for me. not being a doctor, i'm not a person who sees open flesh and cuts to the bone on a regular basis (or ever, outside of tv and movies.)
    this is a life-endangering thing. this person needs to stop or they'll die sooner rather than later....
    gross, yet intriguing.
    *i'm scared*
    I'm not under the impression she'd mind horribly. Which is somewhat of a shame once you get into someone's works, but difficult to hold against her, since living without fear of death is some of the best living there is to be had.

Fourth Grade Biology?

Vexbeast's Avatar Eat me, I'm nutritious.

It's not hard to see this as art, but I don't see this detail, composition and pattern you're talking about.

Tacky art, at best.

To be honest, I find the skinny-back photo more disturbing than the rest of it. >.>

SyntheticShock's Avatar ...

Hoyl shit, wasn't expecting it to be that bad, I kinda felt like throwing up when I looked at the photos.

I would have to agree and say this poor girl is in serious need of some medical attention. Looks like not only is she horribly cutting herself, but she looks anorexic to me and who knows what other issues.

It's not hard to see this as art, but I don't see this detail, composition and pattern you're talking about.

Tacky art, at best.

To be honest, I find the skinny-back photo more disturbing than the rest of it. >.>
    I suppose it's about what you appreciate enough to want to elevate it somewhat. There's patterns in the smaller scars - I've heard there is/was primitive tribes that use all similar cuts right next to each other to give their skin scar patterns to resemble certain kinds of wood, stone or animal skin textures. There's composition in a bunch of parallel blood trails crossing one way over parallel scars and wounds going another. Detail is everywhere, but moreso if you see her body as the overarching work; each limb shows evidence of past sittings, of the increasingly harsh carving over months. Certainly, much of this is accidental, or the inevitable product of her doing these things, motivated by other ideals, feelings, desires, needs than to create the picture, but that can be the point - comparing it to guro artwork, drawn depictions of similar things, that reality is something that would take genius to arrive at artificially.

Of course, there's little communicable 'truth' to any of this. I see it and find it appreciable, you may not; I can wax eloquent about it and hope to impress on you with words, but that's you observing me more than the thing I'm talking about.

This is art... and not that...

Jax's Avatar Stay Down

Thank you for posting that pic OliX. There is absolutely no way, no how anyone could compare that mentally deranged chicks actions with what you have pictured. That picture shows culture and art. That chick just needs help and is in no way artistic. Its like that idiot that starved that dog in the name of art. Just disgusting.

Don't remind me of that asshole. Now when you reminded me I have to put him on my list.

To me, she's just looking for attention for her despair. She scrawls in blood how horrible she feels. If it was that bad than just do yourself in. She hasn't, so I really think that it's more of a cry for help. I don't think art has anything to do with it. Hell...She might also be OCD and that's why there's a symmentry to the cuts.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

The thing about historic rituals of pain infliction, such as the above pictured man, is that they weren't done for sado-masochism. It was purposely meant not to be enjoyable, that's the whole point. It was for an individual to show their personal bravery and more so their devotion to their tribe by engaging in a ritual that was difficult to endure. If the ritual left permanent markings on the skin it was often done in a pattern, not for the sake of cosmetic beauty, but because it gave them a physical characteristic that they shared with the other members of their tribe, but different from everyone else.

In short, it was something that people did to become a closer society, not to go against it.

The thing about historic rituals of pain infliction, such as the above pictured man, is that they weren't done for sado-masochism. It was purposely meant not to be enjoyable, that's the whole point. It was for an individual to show their personal bravery and more so their devotion to their tribe by engaging in a ritual that was difficult to endure. If the ritual left permanent markings on the skin it was often done in a pattern, not for the sake of cosmetic beauty, but because it gave them a physical characteristic that they shared with the other members of their tribe, but different from everyone else.

In short, it was something that people did to become a closer society, not to go against it.
    Right there you've nailed down the difference between historic and histrionic.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Quote Originally Posted by OliX
    Don't remind me of that asshole. Now when you reminded me I have to put him on my list.
    the starving dog dude is totally on my list! slow and painful for him!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny.illuminati
    the starving dog dude is totally on my list! slow and painful for him!
    No man, he's my. Long starvation.

People that do evil things to domestic animals need to get tortured themselves. I'm not a hunter, but it's one thing to go out in the wilderness, kill something and eat it. It's so another to torture a domestic animal because you're "not having a good day" or because it's somehow related to profit (puppy mills, dog fights, ect). It's so fucked up.

athenahollow's Avatar Smut Peddler

I dont even think it's a cry for help. I think it's more just a cry for attention. Why she felt the need to go so over-board, only her psychiatrist can ever figure out.

+ Reply to Thread