+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fear of crime

Default Fear of crime

RW thread made me think of fear of being crime victim?
    Do you fear that you could be robed? Do you fear walking down the lonely street alone in dark?

Default Re: Fear of crime

I should probably share my experience first.
    I never fear walking down the lonely and dark street neither fear being robed or similar but that's probably because I'm quite confident in me.

I did feel strange emotion when walking same way I did when two guys tried to rob me. Guess it was fear coming from my under conscience but I suppressed it easily. Brain is such a wonderful thing. Damn I scared those guys easily back then

Ajax Knucklebones's Avatar God fearing atheist

If a person sticks a gun in my puss, I'm giving them anything they want. It's all material shit lost in the end. Fuck the macho shit.

Risk my life for what? things? Fuck that.

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

I usually size everybody up when i'm walking by myself, especially at night. If i'm in a place with no witnesses then I avoid other lone figures that might be approaching me. I also don't make eye contact with people. The best way to get people to leave you alone is to leave them alone Ie: pretend like you don't notice them. In other words don't draw attention to yourself.

In a situation where it would be conspicuous not to notice someone, then acknowledge the situation but make sure that you make it clear that you aren't really paying attention. For instance many times I've come across a drug deal in progress in a deserted location, in that case I just give a friendly greeting as if we are just two parties out for a stroll and then keep walking. They usually respond the same way, and then we both go about our business.

I generally look like someone that doesn't have any money, which is usually the truth, and that is a good deterrent against people trying to rob you. I also usually reach into my pockets where I put one hand on my wallet and the other on my dirty harry magnum. Or at least I hope to plant the suggestion that that might be what I'm doing.

** I also don't make eye contact with people. The best way to get people to leave you alone is to leave them alone Ie: pretend like you don't notice them. In other words don't draw attention to yourself.***

NY rules of self preservation

Those guys didn't have a gun. Only one had a large stick with knife attached to it's end and they were around 15 meters away from me. As I turned around I realized that I had good chance of scaring them off (they probably didn't realized who they were robbing as I have "reputation" around, and I guess they recognized me when I turned), then I reached for my "imaginary" gun and shouted "put the weapon on the ground and lay down". They runned away

Morning Glory's Avatar Apathetic Voter
    Campbell's (or is it Warhol's?) Primordial Soup

you got attempted robbery at spear-point. that's classic.

VoltaireBlue's Avatar just is

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax Knucklebones
    ** I also don't make eye contact with people. The best way to get people to leave you alone is to leave them alone Ie: pretend like you don't notice them. In other words don't draw attention to yourself.***

NY rules of self preservation
    its pretty much how I handle that situation as well.
    but no, crime doesn't scare me.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

it would be the last crime they tried to commit...

Head Wreck's Avatar Dai the Llama

i more fear the legal consequences of having to defend myself and my property.

jonny.illuminati's Avatar hasn't slept for days

Quote Originally Posted by Head Wreck
    i more fear the legal consequences of having to defend myself and my property.
    no one should ever be denied the right of self defense. if you are in fear for your life then always do what is necessary. that being said, self defense should be undertaken through escalation of force... meaning only do what is absolutely necessary to prevent harm to yourself or others in danger. if someone tries to mug you without a weapon you shouldn't necessarily just shoot him/her...

also don't be a hero unless you train to be one... if you aren't mentally and physically prepared to defend yourself then you will probably get you and those with you hurt or killed...

although... invade my home uninvited armed or not i will kill you no questions asked. on the street i will respond accordingly to your demands... try to rob me with a knife... i'm going to get cut and you will die. rob me at gunpoint be prepared to pull the trigger because i am one hell-of-a fast draw and i like headshots...

again, legal repercussions only apply if you use unnecessary force in the protection of you and your family OUTSIDE of your residence...

"the right to self defense shall never be denied"

Ubiquitress's Avatar Senior Member

for the most part I also run by NY bylaw of the fast walk and I am not your droid tactics,but in the couple of instances when I have been attacked or robbed I usually give up the stuff and act as crazy as possible to attract attention and get out of there. I never bother with weapons etc. cause frankly I dont know how to use them well enough to not get hurt/killed in the process. I dont fear crime however,it can most assuredly suck when it occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny.illuminati
    no one should ever be denied the right of self defense. if you are in fear for your life then always do what is necessary. that being said, self defense should be undertaken through escalation of force... meaning only do what is absolutely necessary to prevent harm to yourself or others in danger. if someone tries to mug you without a weapon you shouldn't necessarily just shoot him/her...

also don't be a hero unless you train to be one... if you aren't mentally and physically prepared to defend yourself then you will probably get you and those with you hurt or killed...

although... invade my home uninvited armed or not i will kill you no questions asked. on the street i will respond accordingly to your demands... try to rob me with a knife... i'm going to get cut and you will die. rob me at gunpoint be prepared to pull the trigger because i am one hell-of-a fast draw and i like headshots...

again, legal repercussions only apply if you use unnecessary force in the protection of you and your family OUTSIDE of your residence...

"the right to self defense shall never be denied"
    Golden rule in Florida...If they invade your home and you shoot them outside of your home, drag the fucking body back in and all will be good.

Mr Karl's Avatar Senior Member

I don't have a wallet, so there's nothing to get from me. No I don't worry

+ Reply to Thread